If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp and speakers for medium sized room

Options
  • 17-06-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭

Hallo! I'm doing up a medium sized room, 3.3m x 3.3m (10ft) and I wanted to add some speakers and an amp so that I could use them to play music from multiple sources.
    My budget is limited, I'd only be looking to spend three-hundred euros or so.

I've had a look at the site but I need guidance.

Speakers:
    Firstly, I'm not sure I need a 5.1 system, or even whether it would be worth it as the room layout will be 'dynamic' and I won't always be in the sweet-spot. What are your thoughts on this?
    Secondly, I thought that ceiling mounted speakers were a good idea, but at £84 each, how many would I need, two or four?
    Bookshelf speakers could be an option, but I'd have to wall-mount them.

Amp:
    I'm looking at the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM5 for reasons of price, but is there another amp out there with a tuner for the same price?

Give me some ideas and I hope to order early July.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Hallo! I'm doing up a medium sized room, 3.3m x 3.3m (10ft) and I wanted to add some speakers and an amp so that I could use them to play music from multiple sources.
    My budget is limited, I'd only be looking to spend three-hundred euros or so.

I've had a look at the site but I need guidance.

Speakers:
    Firstly, I'm not sure I need a 5.1 system, or even whether it would be worth it as the room layout will be 'dynamic' and I won't always be in the sweet-spot. What are your thoughts on this?
    Secondly, I thought that ceiling mounted speakers were a good idea, but at £84 each, how many would I need, two or four?
    Bookshelf speakers could be an option, but I'd have to wall-mount them.

Amp:
    I'm looking at the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM5 for reasons of price, but is there another amp out there with a tuner for the same price?

Give me some ideas and I hope to order early July.
    Thanks!

10-10,

Thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you..

To be honest I think you will get away with 2 decent in-ceiling speakers and a decent Amp/Receiver.

If the budget is tight I would go for the following (the quality is excellent and completely belies the price!)

Teac Reference 300 AGH300 AV Receiver this receiver is a bin-end that we bought - it is normally part of the reference 300 system and did retail at way over £200 and comes with 6 inputs / Tuner & of course remote control - if you added that to 2 of the excellent Monitor Audio SC165 in-ceiling speakers we could do the whole package at a mad €269.99 delivered to your door!

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist - all that kit is in-stock & ready to roll,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.