Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Close-Up Filter

• 17-06-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, I'm new to photography. I'd like to attempt some close-up work with plants and flowers. I've heard a little about close-up filters as a cheap alternative to a macro lens. I'm currently using the Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens. What filters work with this lens, and where could I get them? Have looked a bit on the net but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Haven't a clue at this stage... thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Deus
    You are looking for a
    MACRO CLOSE UP Lens 4 Filter Kit Set +1+2+4+10

Make sure you get 4 filters. They are very cheap on E-Bay
    about €15 to €25

You will need the diamiter of your lens. I know mine thanks to a camera shop I asked in. Most of them will tell you when they see your camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

You can pick them up in town for less then €40. The set I have are made by Dörr and come with +1 +2 and +4 filters. I use them with my 50mm 1.4 but the closeup filters are nothing special TBH and do not compare to a real macro lens at all!

Some sample images are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcormack/tags/closeup/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Deus Ex

Thanks for your replies! I've heard they don't compare to a dedicated macro lens, but I just want to see if I actually enjoy shooting that subject matter, if I do, I suspect I'll invest in decent lens. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would a reversal ring work on a nikon DSLR with that lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

would a reversal ring work on a nikon DSLR with that lens?

It'd probably work, but it'd be substandard I'd say. Also depending on the body the OP might lose metering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've noticed on a couple of the lenses i have (both G lenses) that the aperture automatically stops down once the lens is off the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i've noticed on a couple of the lenses i have (both G lenses) that the aperture automatically stops down once the lens is off the body.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that. Stupid G lenses. Yeah I guess you'd have to tape up the little actuator on the lens mount that opens the aperture, and you'd have no real way of controlling it either other than making tiny little wee adjustments to that lever. PITA.
    OP would probably better off buying some cheapo 50mm AIS on fleabay to mess around with reversing the lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Deus Ex wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to photography. I'd like to attempt some close-up work with plants and flowers. I've heard a little about close-up filters as a cheap alternative to a macro lens. I'm currently using the Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens. What filters work with this lens, and where could I get them? Have looked a bit on the net but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Haven't a clue at this stage... thanks.

You can get a cheap close-up lens set on eBay for €10-20. Don't
    spend any more because the money would be better spent on
    a SH macro lens. I bought a set of 52mm FoxFoto lenses to go with
    my Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. I think this is the same filter thread size
    as the Nikon 18-55mm. They are reasonably good value for money.

Some examples:
    0749614A9D384E6AB93A01B10455DDA2-800.jpg

2E30CF4A545C49E482FE8421B4853C92-800.jpg

9BA64220A1344B16BB69F8DDEE4CF8B0-800.jpg

Advertisement