Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thomond Park Gig - DSLR Allowed?

• 17-06-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm being dragged to a pink concert on Sunday, I'd like to pass the time by bringing my 40D, but I don't know if it'll be allowed in. Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Highly unlikely you'll be allowed in with it. Not worth the risk, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Hard one to call,
    the last stadium gig I was at was U2 last year
    the amount of DSLR's at those gigs was mad :D
    on friday night i brought the point and shoot and after seeing all the DSLR's I made sure I brought mine on the monday night ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The girlfriend went to the belfast show last night, and was saying to me that there was a full scale arguement between the security and a guy with a "big camera" as she calls it :o, and the security was telling him to hand it over and "suppossedly" get it back after or leave! She also said a girl next to her was usung one with a huge lense on it so i guess its a case of if you want to take the chance, i Think they aint allowed and they are prob being run by the same promoters, i know id not chance it anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hard one to call,
    the last stadium gig I was at was U2 last year
    the amount of DSLR's at those gigs was mad :D

on friday night i brought the point and shoot and after seeing all the DSLR's I made sure I brought mine on the monday night ! !

U2 made it clear that it was allowed to bring in cameras before the gig

Normally at gigs cameras are not allowed (thats the official line) ... but people bring them in ..and as long as you are not using a long lens and not up close - security probably wont care or even notice.....then again - they might stop you on your way in and refuse access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Damn.

See, last time i was at a good gig [Pearl Jam, Wembley] nobody cared about my pocket-cam.

Since then I've taken shots with my bridge cam at local gigs, no issues there.

But, I've only just got my zoom lens for the dslr, and we're buying tickets for MAIDEN next week - I was hoping to get the dslr + the zoom in. Bleurgh.

What about a 50mm? eh? Would we get away with that much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Thanks for the advice people, looks like I'll be bringing my G9 instead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

decimal wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice people, looks like I'll be bringing my G9 instead.

The G9 will be ideal. You cant bring dslr as the artist "image rights" have to be protected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

It's not worth the hassle of bringing one along really. I tried a few times and realised I was spending more time worrying about the hassle from security guys and whether I would get in than actually enjoying the experience:eek:
    Plus the photos taken were never great as you are either too far away or somebody is bumping into you as you are composing the shot etc :rolleyes:
    Some of the compacts are getting better these days so at least you can go with one of those and get a few decent shots as a memory of the event...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bloody hate cameras at gigs anyway.
    says he who has taken photos at gigs (on behalf of the band, mind)
    must piss the band right off to have flashes going off constantly at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

iv been to gigs and people who bring cameras piss me off. like its grand to take photos to remember it the thing i dont like is when they keep taking photos constantly. you cant really get a good shot in my opinion

dont know why they would stop you brining it in.

• Advertisement

I never understood why DSLRs arent allowed, but other cameras are.

To be honest, I think a lot of it comes down to other people's safety. I've seen people at WWE shows with DSLRs before (and DSLR-looking Bridge cams), but never had they got a telephoto lens.

I seen security stopping a guy with a big lens before, going in. Makes me think maybe they're more cautious because you could accidentally belt someone in the back of the head with a long lens, or that it could be used as a weapon against others/the performers?

I'd say a 50mm would be fine, as would any smallish zoom lens. I doubt many security guards stay up to date on the latest products in the world of photography. I'd imagine they judge what is and is not allowed, based on the size of the camera.

That's my theory, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Does anyone know if the Roger Waters gig next year will allow cameras. It's more of a play than a concert so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would you normally take photos of a play ?

Advertisement