Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need A Reasonably Priced Oil And Filter Change

Options
  • 17-06-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Where's the best place in Town to get an oil and filter change without having to pay through the nose for it?

I've got a Honda CRV. How much should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    Where's the best place in Town to get an oil and filter change without having to pay through the nose for it?

I don't know of anywhere to recommend but as a guide...
    A service kit (oil,oil and air filter,plugs) would be about 60-80 euro+ vat
    (depending on model) and add labor onto that.

Literally in town you wouldn't have too many options, the likes of Advance I would find hard to recommend as so many folks have issues with them.

For any car related stuff I don't do myself (I do most of my servicing) I use Con Forde 021 4963536, he is across the road from Greenmount Primary school (close to junction of Bandon road and Barrick Street so only minutes from the city centre). I bought 2 cars off him years ago, he is very honest and a very well regarded mechanic in the trade. Top Car used to contract work out to him years back. He is quite busy though so don't expect to drop the car in the day you ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Autofast in ballincollig. 89 for oil and filter change, levels topped up and a bit of a check over.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Those two jobs aren't that hard to do yourself. Someone who knows what they're doing would wanna show you first time round though. A filter wouldn't be much more than a tenner and oils vary but you'd get a good grade oil for 30 quid a gallon usually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

gpf101 wrote: »
    Autofast in ballincollig. 89 for oil and filter change, levels topped up and a bit of a check over.

This is where I go too. :)

• Advertisement

I'm always wary of places that quote a fixed price for an oil and filter change, different cars require different oils. From my days in a motor factors I know that some garages throw the same oil into every car, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Con Forde definitely a good choice. If you want city centre you could try Canty's garage in Copley Street. At junction with Angelsea St, and across from the Garda Station. They are reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm always wary of places that quote a fixed price for an oil and filter change, different cars require different oils. From my days in a motor factors I know that some garages throw the same oil into every car, not good.

I've had the same concerns, I'd say there are plenty of dodgy grease monkeys doing this sort of thing, like how can they do an oil and filter change for €99 incl Vat and still make some money on it? I'm not saying €99 is cheap or anything but when you consider you are getting the material and the labour for that money, you have to question the quality of both on offer.

They use shell helix 10w40 (same as many main dealers). Buying the oil in bulk your talking probably 30 -40 for parts.

The fully synthetic service is 119 I think. The 89 is just if you use 10w40 semi.

gpf101 wrote: »
    They use shell helix 10w40 (same as many main dealers). Buying the oil in bulk your talking probably 30 -40 for parts.

The fully synthetic service is 119 I think. The 89 is just if you use 10w40 semi.

What do they put into the VAGs or fords that have the specific specs do you know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

See, this is a problem. A lot of modern cars have the newer requirements such as low SAPS, long life between services, and need very light weight viscosity. These places with fast changes will just bang anything in and don't need to worry because you'll change it again a few months anyway. The problem is that while that's fine to do once or twice, you wouldn't want to be doing it all the time.

The benefit of bringing it to a talented, independent mechanic who takes pride in their work, is that they're trained to do much more than an oil change. They'll have a quick look at the car while it's on the ramp and check brakes, corrosion, exhaust, bushes, wishbones, etc. You're getting more for your money with a good trustworthy mechanic.

I can recommend a good indy mech in Ballincollig if you want OP. I use them for all the work on my cars at home.

Lots of the VAG high bhp engines have experienced engine wear due to incorrect oil being used.

RoverJames wrote: »
    What do they put into the VAGs or fords that have the specific specs do you know ?

As far as I know they use Shell Helix Ultra which complies with VW 504 and 507 requirements. Obviously check with them first and make sure your happy with it.

As an aside Blackwater motors are doing a 119 euro mini service with fully synthetic VW spec oil and a full check over.

Advertisement