Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1978 Honda CB 500 T VRT ????

• 17-06-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

I have bought a uk registered 1978 Honda CB 500 T and checking on the ROS website it would appear that the VRT to pay this bike in is nil euro. Can this be right ?

Also would anyone know the current annual tax for a 1978 bike ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 17 June 2010 TIME: 23:35

The information requested in respect of the motorcycle is indicated below.
    Engine CC's 500
    Date of First Registration 01/01/1978

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €0

I got the same, probably right. If you can get it reg'd for €0, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Just be careful Lads,
    I usually haunt the Classic Car forum. There is some buzz about the NCT people taking over the pre VRT inspections (to valuate the vehicle), and some suggestion that theVRt calculator is/ may not be working correctly.
    That said I brought in an 74 mgb (VRT flat rate 48yoyos) and no problems. I always assumed it was the same for bikes - but a recent conversation has cast some doubt on that. May well be worth a phone call to VRO to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

VRT for bikes is €2 for the 1st 350cc and €1 for any above with a 10% reduction starting at 3 months. Then 20% for 1 year old, 40% for 2years old etc

You can find the info from the Revenue site , download VRT Manual Section 1 and it's on page 26. I can't copy from pdf's:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

210 wrote: »
    I have bought a uk registered 1978 Honda CB 500 T and checking on the ROS website it would appear that the VRT to pay this bike in is nil euro. Can this be right ?

Also would anyone know the current annual tax for a 1978 bike ?

Tax is € 22 per year.

I think the VRT is correct at €0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

goes by cc and then

.....Total amount is then reduced by percentage depending on age (over 30 years 100% reduction)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Should be OK so. .. go for it! 5/4 was my favourite bike.;)
    Twin should be just as much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Registered a 1979 bike last week.
    VRT is zero
    Tax €22
    Just brought in the V5 and nothing else.
    ZV reg costs nothing extra and you can use the old style plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

anytin over 30 years no vrt :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Thanks folks, seamus did you have to ask for the age related plate ? I dont realy mind the modern type of 78 Dl *** of number plate as it shows off the age of the bike. Might have to give this a bit of thought before I register now though. Any recommendations on companies providing classic bike insurance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yeah, bikes over 30 years old is zero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

210 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, seamus did you have to ask for the age related plate ? I dont realy mind the modern type of 78 Dl *** of number plate as it shows off the age of the bike. Might have to give this a bit of thought before I register now though. Any recommendations on companies providing classic bike insurance ?

You get a choice when registering the vehicle. New style reg means you generally need a new style euro plate but the rules seem to be a bit more complicated than one would think - see
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035748&highlight=regulation

I used Carole Nash for insurance mostly because I was able to set it up over the phone. Managed to haggle them down by 40 euro as I had got a better quote from another broker.
    Good luck with your bike -

Advertisement