Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a bike

• 17-06-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice, Im looking for a first bike and was thinking of an rs50/rs125, but now considering any kind of 125 as im undecided as to what kind I want. I wont be using the bike for commuting, just wanted one as a hobby, and one that would be relativly straight-forward for working on, as part of the reason I want one is to learn about bikes by working on it myself. Im not too woried about insurance groups etc. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of advice, Im looking for a first bike and was thinking of an rs50/rs125, but now considering any kind of 125 as im undecided as to what kind I want. I wont be using the bike for commuting, just wanted one as a hobby, and one that would be relativly straight-forward for working on, as part of the reason I want one is to learn about bikes by working on it myself. Im not too woried about insurance groups etc. Any suggestions?

Budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Age is relevent, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Yea was thinking of spending about 2-3k, but would be willing to spend a bit more if I saw something I particularly wanted. Also, Im 29

Why don't you go for something bigger dude? There's little fun to be had on most smaller bikes. I started on a 600 and 5 months later I was on a restricted 1400.

tbh, I just assumed that without a full liscence that I would have to start at the bottom as no one would insure me. Did you find it difficult getting insured on that?

• Advertisement

There is quite a bit to come to terms with when it comes to biking.

In brief;
    You can drive an awful lot of bikes legally on a provisional provided you either buy them "factory restricted" to 33bhp or buy a full power bike and restrict it to 33bhp usually at a cost of about €300.

The factory restricted bikes are largely considered to be tamper-proof and you therefore often enjoy cheaper insurance. Aftermarket restrictors are largely considered to be completely tamperable and therefore you may find them harder to insure. You will find that it is very difficult to insure 'faired' (ie sporty) bikes even though you would legal to do so if restricted.

On the basis that within reason you can get on the road in any bike you want, you will find what will help the insurance cause is to go and get ROSPA training from an approved instructor. Without too much trouble, you can receive an insurance 'assessment' to a grade 2 standard (highest achievable on a prov license). The day's training and assessment cost me about €400 and that is considered to be quite expensive.

My history is that in FEB 2008 (at 26 with virtually no riding experience), I got my first bike (restricted bandit 600) and a learners permit (had to do theory test, btw). AON insurance quoted me about €500 on the basis that I got a grade 2 assessment. I did the day's training on my instructors bike and went back for a further morning's training after which he gave me my assessment cert. I rang the insurance and activated the policy. I applied for the driving test for as soon after my six month period of not being able to complete a driving test was up (silly rule on learner's permit).

Having had a very good grounding in the training, I made a point of getting as much hard practise in as I could. I decided to ask the insurance company if they would insure my GSX1400 and they did. I had one further pre-test lesson. My instructor told me I was sound for the test and I passed after the 7th month.

I'm not claiming to be a fantastic rider, I was just proactive and got through the hardship pretty quickly. My 2 year restriction is now nearly over.

The first question what kind of bikes do you like??

Thanks for that. Originally I wanted something like an rs, but the more Iv looked into it, the more I like the idea of getting something bigger, but im still undecided wrt what type of bike. Are the bandits difficult to work on, ie are they straight forward enough?

I was thinking about rider training alright, so il try that with aon

Advertisement