Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gutters on a shed

• 17-06-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I'm looking to put up gutters on a row of sheds for my mother as the rain is destroying the foundations, seeing as I'm a female (no disrespect meant) with no knowledge of this kind of thing (though I am a big DIY fan), I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips/pointers that I should follow, thanks a million in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Also female, have also put gutters on shed. It would really be necessary to see the sheds, especially how they are put together round the eaves to give specific help, mine was a straightforward wooden shed that was easy enough to work out. Maybe put up a couple of pics.

Having said that, I measured the area, figured out where downpipes would go, went into the local builders providers and said I want x metres of guttering plus all the bits, with two ends and a slanted down pipe. I took my bag of goodies and sorted them out like a construction kit. Once you have figured how to join lengths, and putting on the clips is the hardest part, you need strong hands (or a pliers and a padded hammer!) you are away.

Take a couple of pics and let us have a look at the job.

PS - pad for hammer - those felt things that you buy for sticking on chair legs are brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Not female, no offence meant:D Looksee gives good advice. In addition you need to decide what guttering you want -- the black HDPE (high density polyethelene -- you didn't want to know that!) half circle stuff that can be a little hard to work with as getting the brackets to clip in does indeed need strong hands or a tool (I made my own one). The white stuff (inclined sides and flat bottom) is easier to work with and is generally readily available. Then you need a chalk line to mark out the fall (slope) to the down pipe. Try to set the greatest fall you can as it will flush moss and leaves to the down pipe rather than leaving them to block the gutter. If the length is too long for a fall of about 3 degrees then start in the middle and make the fall to the ends.

When you have a line, fix up the first length with the necessary end moulding, then fix the connecting bracket at the end of that length having first fitted at least two support brackets along its length and one at the closed end.

Thing to remember is that the HDPE expands a lot in sunlight so the ends mustn't be fixed permanently, like butting up to a wall or anything. It's also a bit floppy over its length so you might need an asistant;)

Advertisement