Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i too big for a road bike still ??

• 17-06-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭

SO heres the story guys have lost a stone and a half on my mountain bike and has gotten me down to 21 stone:o

Now as much as i like the MTB i really really wanna be a roadie. BUT am i still too large for a road bike ???

Thanks a mill
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

It's late (for me), so here's just a quick link. Hope it helps.

Forum: Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

When I started back cycling, I was 230+lbs. Not the same as yourself but high enough for cycling. I did commute and put another 30kg onto the panniers somedays.
    Bike generally held up fine. I did however have a whole lot of problems with the wheels, rear especially.

If you want a road bike then I'd say go for, but don't spend too much. Get some open pro 36 spoke wheels too and take it a bit easy with sprinting as it will put most of the stress onto the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'd agree with the above, if you want a road bike go for it, but watch the rear wheels. Was in similar position a few years ago and never felt right on the first road bike I got, but it took some trial a d error and got it a bit better now. Am still heavier than I should be which is awful for ascents, but brilliant for descents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I was around your weight on a mountain bike, I'm now on a steel racer and 16stone. I recomend a steel touring frame with strong box section rims, something used for touring/tandem bicycles. maybe even 40h or 48h rear wheel with 36h front. you'd prob have to get the rear wheel specially built.

Mavic a719 rim is supposed to be very strong but have no personal experience with it. SJS have wolber super champion model 58 rim for 35pound in 48h but its 27 1 1/4 size, I have a rear wheel built in 36h and its very strong!

other 700c rim choices would be mavic cxp33, mavic open pro,
    the following rims are very strong but more heavy: dt swiss RR 585, velocity chucker, velocity b43, rigida dp18, dodici, h+ son sl42,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Gers_punto wrote: »
    SO heres the story guys have lost a stone and a half on my mountain bike and has gotten me down to 21 stone:o

Now as much as i like the MTB i really really wanna be a roadie. BUT am i still too large for a road bike ???

Thanks a mill
    Ger

Simply. No. Get a good solid bike with some strong wheels (lots of spokes). You will be fine.
    Bare in mind that the "so called flimsy" road bikes used by racing cyclists are put through a helluva lot of stress and forces due to speed, torque and power. They hold up to all of this just fine.
    Build up your exercise a bit at a time. Cycling is a reasonably good form of exercise for a heavy bloke, in that it places less stress on the joints.
    I started at 17.5stone and do not for one minute regret it.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Watch the brakes too, the larger you are the greater a momentum you will obtain on a decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clydes

Fully agree with earlier posts - I am 20st and ride an alu bike and all my technical problems have been wheel related - nothing to do with the frame.

have been around a few shops and had wheels built with some very poor experiences. I would definitely recommend Michael in Cycleways. He will build you a wheel for €180 approx (Open pro rim €50, 105 hub €70 & 36 DT Swiss spokes €25 + labour).

Invest in quality wheels and you will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

DT Alpine III spokes seem to be highly recommended for heavy riders/loaded touring but Ive only come across 1 place online that sells them, can any bike shops in Dublin order them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clydes

@ kumate_champ07

Just watch that the hole in the hub will take the xtra thickness of the triple butted Alpine. I have been told that DT Competition spokes with a quality road hub is plenty.

CSS will order Alpine III for you

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

god no your never to big for a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

No. I am 21st. I was 22.5st. I cycle a trek 1000 (fairly cheap and basic bike i think.)
    I use to cycle regularly when I was out injured, but the past year or so I have been back playing rugby so haven't had time.

I use to have flats regularly and I thought that was my weight, but it actually just turned out I didn't pump the tyres up hard enough.

I know alot of big guys I play rugby with cycle road bikes, without any problems. A good few of those are 19 st + .

But It is tough work pushing that much weight around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I was 16.5 stone startingf and went on a steel framed bike which stood me in great stead for 3 years . I upgraded after a couple of years to an aluminium one which has been perect and only had to change wheels this year (5 years of moderate use) So yeah wheels imp but I'd use a cheaper bike until you get the weight down a bit and then treat yourself.

Still nearly 16 stone however:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

Gers_punto wrote: »

Thanks a mill
    Ger
    Never too old, too young, too light, too heavy to start!

Get medical advice first off! Get the heart, blood pressure, cholestrol measured.

Cycling is one of the best cardio exercises there is. Big boned guys like ourselves have got to make sure that the effort we ask of our bodies can be supported by our hearts.

I was 21 stone in weight, rode a charity event from Maynooth to Galway and Back and swore never to ever feel so unfit again!

I was given some good advice, eat after my morning commute of 25 kms, porridge, drink plenty of coffee, have a light lunch, cycle home and eat a proper dinner. Don't eat after 7pm, avoid the normal fatty stuff and don't kick yourself if you break the habit once in a while.

I now weigh 16st 10lbs, dropped waist size from 42" to 36" and am still working on pulling the belly in. Recently did the Wickla 200 and had a ball! Take regular advice from the doc on the health and am planning to cut out the cigars completely at some point :)

Check out the link and see what they say as well. Oh and good luck! Oh and I am thinking of starting a "Fat Bastard Cycling Support Group".

Bicycling.com Fat to Fab advice page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Thanks very very much for all the great replies folks. Really appreciate it :)

Have also recieved some very helpful pms. Going to look at road bikes next week and seek professional fitness advice

Cheers all
    Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

SMacX wrote: »
    Never too old, too young, too light, too heavy to start!

I'm too sexy for my bike :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

SMacX wrote: »
    rode a charity event from Maynooth to Galway and Back and swore never to ever feel so unfit again!
    Bicycling.com Fat to Fab advice page

Ah Yes Maynooth to Galway and back! Did a lovely route the Esker Rida I think its called also for charity in 2003. My first long cycle very enjoyable. i too have broken a few spokes in my time. Nothing as frustrating again as said above its all in the wheel strength. It worth paying the bobs for a good rear wheel

Advertisement