Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so who changed down at last min?

• 17-06-2010 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

just wondering here how many people have lost that nerve just heading into the exam and gone down to pass as a safety option because you felt there was no point in failing the honours?. i myself think this is going to be the case for me tomorrow in german as i am not confident enough to go in and do the honours... you think 6 years of sitting in german would have sunk in ... if only i did my home work !!! :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Yeah for French but I knew a good while ago I would be dropping down. I only do 6 subjects so wasn't worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

I decided to drop to pass french the night before the exam. Best choice ive ever made. :D Was worried about failing honours as its my weakest subject and was doing all honours so i wasen't counting it for points anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

I dropped today in Biology. Of a class of 24, with 18 HL students originally, 5 people kept the honours up today, everyone else dropped, was hilarious looking at everyones hands shooting up for ordinary level!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kingsley16

i did 7 subjects and i dropped from HL history and biology and ended up with just one higher, which was engineering. the rest are all OL. taking higher in them subjects was a ridiculous decision because i barely showed up for school and i never did my homework...towards and during the leaving cert i kept regretting not going into school much. i am 90% sure i'm gonna fail OL maths and i need it for every one of my courses on the CAO. the thought of repeating is sickening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

just wondering here how many people have lost that nerve just heading into the exam and gone down to pass as a safety option because you felt there was no point in failing the honours?. i myself think this is going to be the case for me tomorrow in german as i am not confident enough to go in and do the honours... you think 6 years of sitting in german would have sunk in ... if only i did my home work !!! :D:D:D

Honestly, try and stick with the higher level. :)
    Some of it will definitely come back in the exam! It happened to me in Biology!
    If you've been sat in class, you will have been taking some of it in. :)

There's only one girl that's doing OL in my school, and I've looked at her papers. To be honest I still think that they're pretty hard! I think "finicky" is the word...

And as it goes for all subjects, it's easier to get a C3 in HL than it is an A1 in OL. :)

For that reason alone I wouldn't really consider dropping if you've been in higher level for the past two years. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I decided about a week before the exam for french, posted a thread about it on here. Think it was a good decision because with the pressure of all the other exams I was putting more effort and time into the likes of biology and geography which I was hoping to do very well in (A1/A2), and Im doing honours maths which needed a lot of time too, so I wouldn't have had much time to do a crash course in french. But I will be pretty pissed if I don't get an A1 or A2 in it, and my teacher I would imagine will be in shock when she finds out I dropped! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

im thinking about dropping to pass in physics on monday.. ive done nothing for it for the past 2 years and i know nothing at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

I was fairly sure I was gonna drop down in Irish but for some unknown reason when he was giving out the stickers I said I'd stick with the honours.
    Worst decision ever.
    Really regretting it, it's my only language so I need to pass for any course I'm considering.

I'd say if it's a subject that you need and are in danger of failing deffo drop down!
    Otherwise you'll spend the whole summer wondering if you'll get any offers in August...like me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

muffinz wrote: »
    im thinking about dropping to pass in physics on monday.. ive done nothing for it for the past 2 years and i know nothing at all!!

then pass phys won't help you anyway . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

Didn't drop anything. Still doing all honours. I actually worked this year...God, I feel so superior:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Smug Alert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Irish ....when he was giving out the stickers I said I'd stick with the honours.....Really regretting it, it's my only language so I need to pass for any course I'm considering.

Stick down a college like DCU or others on your CAO that do not insist on Irish to cover yourself or say for example in UCD >>>

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1l7kq/ApplyingtoUCD/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=

"One Grade E on a Higher Course at Leaving Certificate will be accepted if the candidate has amongst
    his/her other subjects three Grade C3 awards on Higher Course Papers or at least one Grade B3 and one
    Grade C3 on Higher Course Papers at Leaving Certificate. (This Compensation Rule does not apply to
    matriculation for Nursing Programmes, but this is under review)" page 208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Pete29 wrote: »
    Didn't drop anything. Still doing all honours. I actually worked this year...God, I feel so superior:D
    Me too. Minus the bit about work, I did none for Irish or German. Oh I am so awesome...:D

jk

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

Me too. Minus the bit about work, I did none for Irish or German. Oh I am so awesome...:D

jk

I know, right! All honours, baby! So, let's go celebrate are greatness together!

Let's leave all those lazy 'lower-level' (pfft) students to wallow in the misgivings of their own mediocrity.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Be careful for those of you who drop down to pass level in certain subjects. You may think it will be a piece of cake but some subjects have drastically different exam formats for both pass and honours. Off of the top of my head, Technical Drawing springs to mind. If you've only ever focused on past honours papers you could well run the risk of being thrown off by a pass level exam that has a vastly different format to the honours paper.

So in sum, just make sure that you are more than familiar with the format of the pass levels papers. :)

if u drop down at the last minute, do u have to notify anyone or do anything? can you just up your hand for ordinary and then thats it? you dont have to notify ur teacher no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

if u drop down at the last minute, do u have to notify anyone or do anything? can you just up your hand for ordinary and then thats it? you dont have to notify ur teacher no
    AFAIK, you just ask for the OL paper at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Yeah you can just ask for it. I've seen a couple of people in my exam centre do it.

We changed examiners half-way through and this new examiner asks if anyone is changing before he gives out the papers.

You don't have to tell anyone else though... it's entirely your choice on the day and no one's going to stop you! :P

ah ok thanks, i was just worried coz remember months ago we signed that sheet with our higher and ordinary choices, and i was wondering did the examiners have to inform the SEC or whatever for it... but i guess they dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

dropped down to pass french because irish maths and business all went reaally well.hopefully i wont regret it after accounting economics and chemistry:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

French and I'll do it for Physics I'd say.

Advertisement