Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC,Magnet,Imagine..all no use..other broadband in Dublin 9/17 area? Suggestions?

• 17-06-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am here for a bit of help if thats okay.

We switched from Eircom a while back and after being in talks with UPC about BB they leave us waiting for a month then say they don't provide to my house, even though they previously said they did (and the house next door and two estates on either side have UPC) so we left them alone.

We then went to imagine BB and after paying for the max speed they had, we gotten 1-2mb and got fed up and left.

Been with Magnet for 2 months or so. When it works its great but we have over a month worth of calls and complaints (only one engineer was sent out and he himself said it was a faulty modem), gone through 3 modems (all of which had wireless and phone problems) so we have given up with Magnet who were the worst of the lot.

Who else is there to try? Eircom is a last resort due to their prices and new policies. Also forgot to add, I do a bit of online gaming and theres up to 3 laptops on at once in the house so thats why we go for the higher speed if possible

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am here for a bit of help if thats okay.

We switched from Eircom a while back and after being in talks with UPC about BB they leave us waiting for a month then say they don't provide to my house, even though they previously said they did (and the house next door and two estates on either side have UPC) so we left them alone.

We then went to imagine BB and after paying for the max speed they had, we gotten 1-2mb and got fed up and left.

Been with Magnet for 2 months or so. When it works its great but we have over a month worth of calls and complaints (only one engineer was sent out and he himself said it was a faulty modem), gone through 3 modems (all of which had wireless and phone problems) so we have given up with Magnet who were the worst of the lot.

Who else is there to try? Eircom is a last resort due to their prices and new policies. Also forgot to add, I do a bit of online gaming and theres up to 3 laptops on at once in the house so thats why we go for the higher speed if possible

Any help is appreciated

Is there anything I can help you with here?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Thanks for the offer but we have been through 3 modems, all of which have been faulty (manager refuses to believe its the modem, even though on the s2nd modem the engineer confirmed it was and reccomended a different set up as everything on our end was fine), endless calls and endless promises to return said calls.

Constant dropping of the line, when wi fi drops its a direct connection but that doesnt work either so it just proves its the modem. Manager refuses to provide a different type of modem even though the engineer suggested it.

I dont want to waste more money, time and phonecalls on something which should be an easy fix but took over a month and half to get an engineer 5 mins drive to check out and yet we are still blamed?

So a new provider is needed, its a pity as when it worked it was great but that was few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

maybe rory will be able to help you out with getting a different modem
    i have seen him help out a good few people

failing that i would give upc a go again if your neighbor can get it you should be able to

you might have just got a lazy/inexperienced person dealing with you. it happens trust me

Sure i'll give UPC a try again, thanks Dunworth1 , sent them on emails with exact location, even a google map of it so they should be able to tell me yay or nay for sure.

I have seen him help many people here but I wouldnt want to waste his time as we have been dealing with one of the CS managers and hes not willing to help us any further or provide us with a different set up/modem as the engineer suggested and its not worth the randomness of dropped lines for minutes at a time to hours.

In the mean time..anyone else know of anyone half way decent or am I stuck with just the 3 choices above really? (I have the o2 mobile bb to keep me going but does be slow and mainly for other uses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What made you switch from Eircom? I'm with Digiweb in Finglas (Dublin 11), they or a different reseller might be an option, have had no problems with Digiweb, billing and customer support have been quick and painless over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thedosiletigh

I feel your pain, i have recently just joined magnet and the first day the connection was good but since then i find myself reloading page after page and this is with an 8mb(as this was the most they could give me in my area)connection apparently with a contention rate of 12 compared to eircoms 48(or so i was told), sadly i have not really any advice for you other than the usual suspects imagine digiweb eircom upc. I'm sitting here typing this reply thinking what a disgrace it is, it being the whole internet scene in ireland, talk about backwards. I wish you luck in your search and if you do find a good reliable provider please let me know as i am also looking for one, but sadly for me i may have to go to eircom, i have stayed away from them except when i lived in houses using shared internet with others, now i want to pay for a quality internet provider as i have the oppurtunity to work from home on the net and i need a good fast reliable line to lower my stress & anger levels lol seriously!! Anyone any suggestions.....should i go to eircom??? Why did you leave eircom kwalsh000??? I dont want to go to them as i look at them as a company i dont want to give my money too saying that they have the monopoly on the line rentals and they get my money that way in-anyway. Just went to post this reply and again have to reload, this is getting too much i have to change provider to help with my physical/mental health and general well being. Meditation dont work for me but a fast reliable line does.

I feel your pain, i have recently just joined magnet and the first day the connection was good but since then i find myself reloading page after page and this is with an 8mb(as this was the most they could give me in my area)connection apparently with a contention rate of 12 compared to eircoms 48(or so i was told), sadly i have not really any advice for you other than the usual suspects imagine digiweb eircom upc. I'm sitting here typing this reply thinking what a disgrace it is, it being the whole internet scene in ireland, talk about backwards. I wish you luck in your search and if you do find a good reliable provider please let me know as i am also looking for one, but sadly for me i may have to go to eircom, i have stayed away from them except when i lived in houses using shared internet with others, now i want to pay for a quality internet provider as i have the oppurtunity to work from home on the net and i need a good fast reliable line to lower my stress & anger levels lol seriously!! Anyone any suggestions.....should i go to eircom??? Why did you leave eircom kwalsh000??? I dont want to go to them as i look at them as a company i dont want to give my money too saying that they have the monopoly on the line rentals and they get my money that way in-anyway. Just went to post this reply and again have to reload, this is getting too much i have to change provider to help with my physical/mental health and general well being. Meditation dont work for me but a fast reliable line does.

Can we contact you on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thedosiletigh

Can we contact you on this?

Thanks Rory for the reply and showed interest, i have contacted magnet support through email and i am waiting for a reply, if there is something you can do i'd be greatly obliged. All i know is if i dont get help on this situation i will be forced to change provider.

Thanks Rory for the reply and showed interest, i have contacted magnet support through email and i am waiting for a reply, if there is something you can do i'd be greatly obliged. All i know is if i dont get help on this situation i will be forced to change provider.

Can you PM me the email?

I know exactly what you mean, thedosiletigh, I hope Rory can help you get your issues sorted with the connection. *touch wood* as they say.

lafortezza, thedosiletigh, the reason we changed from Eircom was that we were paying for 7mb i think at the time and got around 4mb but was still fairly slow, plus it was very overpriced esp considering the other options available. Now with the latest on their 3 strikes policy ...meh :P

Cheers for the idea of Digiweb lafortezza, I will give them a shout and see

• Advertisement
Advertisement