Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on these tracks please???

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey i was just wondering if ye would be able to comment on one or two the songs i have on my myspace...thanks, much appreciated :)

http://www.myspace.com/hughoneillmusic

Hugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hugh2oneill

anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Well Good man, just listened to Wake-up..if it was crap I would have no prob saying it but its certainly not....kinda sung like the singer from Sliverchair..(Thats a compliment btw)!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Overall very good man, Love acoustic and vocals so thought "Feels like Home" was very good tbh.

Wake up was quite good also - don't really have time to listen to all of the songs but I've bookmarked it and I'll be going back for another few listens.

If you don't mind me asking, are you looking to get radio time? My friends a DJ at Spin South West, might send him on the link and see does he know any shows they have where you could get some coverage.

Thanks guys.. :) Yeah I released Wake Up on digital stores in early 2009 and hasn't really done anything...find it hard to get airplay to be honest! That'd be great if you sent it on to him man, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

wake up - the mix is sh1t - but you have something better than average
    id give it 6- 7 out of ten on song quality - 1 out of ten on mix / recording .
    you shouldnt be charging for this to download - its a crap mix

rest of it again, pretty good , but dont do your songs the injustice of recording them so **** - you and they deserve way better.

i like your voice
    definetly something good here .

a raw talent , with good potential
    you need a good studio and a producer or very good engineer to get you at your best .
    even if you have to pay for it yourself.

please do not record the way you are doing it anymore - get some real recording done. - the acoustic stuff or piano stuff aint too bad , ( although the vocal needs to be more up front )
    but the drum based stuff is terribly done.

i d also like to hear something abit more gritty / with bite .

across the universe is my fav tune .
    also life and death

all in all

good job , dont give up ,
    and up your game recording wise .

id sign you , if i was in the position to do so
    but you need to start listening to what you are releasing - cos the quality aint great.

but still some of the best stuff ive heard so far in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 robmchl

Hi Hugh,

Your voice is great. Nice little lilt in the voice at times. The verse to 'Wake up' is great but the bridge and chorus are letting it down. Verse is cool and modern, the bridge sounds a little country and the chorus is a little bit pub rock/bland. I would get rid of the guitar solo 3/4 way through as it doesn't do anything for the song

Relive the Past - A lot of chorus on the guitar again. Your voice is great though. Chorus= excellent - very modern and current. The line ' want to have it all again' sounds like you were slightly too close to the mic and on the verge of peaking. The guitar solo in this song is fine and quite nice. You could try it without so much distortion and a little bit of delay or reverb. I'd ease up on the chorus as it makes the music sound dated.

Don't have time for the other ones but can see you're obviously talented.

Overall the songs are there but just be aware of using sounds that are outdated. Sometimes you've an american country tinge to your voice and that's fine if that's what you want but i prefer your voice without it.

Best of luck.

bytey wrote: »
    wake up - the mix is sh1t - but you have something better than average
    id give it 6- 7 out of ten on song quality - 1 out of ten on mix / recording .
    you shouldnt be charging for this to download - its a crap mix

rest of it again, pretty good , but dont do your songs the injustice of recording them so **** - you and they deserve way better.

i like your voice
    definetly something good here .

a raw talent , with good potential
    you need a good studio and a producer or very good engineer to get you at your best .
    even if you have to pay for it yourself.

please do not record the way you are doing it anymore - get some real recording done. - the acoustic stuff or piano stuff aint too bad , ( although the vocal needs to be more up front )
    but the drum based stuff is terribly done.

i d also like to hear something abit more gritty / with bite .

across the universe is my fav tune .
    also life and death

all in all

good job , dont give up ,
    and up your game recording wise .

id sign you , if i was in the position to do so
    but you need to start listening to what you are releasing - cos the quality aint great.

but still some of the best stuff ive heard so far in ireland.

Yeah, to be honest man, those recordings were put together pretty quick because they were the first demos I’d done for the songs I’d just written... also the reason that the drums sound so **** is that I was just doing an audio in from some vdrums! Not ideal I know, that’s why I've started using samples and loops for my new tracks. Re: wake up, that was recorded, mixed and mastered in a bit of a rush (2/3 days) because we were trying to release the single as soon as we could after I won class act in 2008. Thanks a million for the feedback though man, really appreciate it!:)

robmchl wrote: »
    Hi Hugh,

Your voice is great. Nice little lilt in the voice at times. The verse to 'Wake up' is great but the bridge and chorus are letting it down. Verse is cool and modern, the bridge sounds a little country and the chorus is a little bit pub rock/bland. I would get rid of the guitar solo 3/4 way through as it doesn't do anything for the song

Relive the Past - A lot of chorus on the guitar again. Your voice is great though. Chorus= excellent - very modern and current. The line ' want to have it all again' sounds like you were slightly too close to the mic and on the verge of peaking. The guitar solo in this song is fine and quite nice. You could try it without so much distortion and a little bit of delay or reverb. I'd ease up on the chorus as it makes the music sound dated.

Don't have time for the other ones but can see you're obviously talented.

Overall the songs are there but just be aware of using sounds that are outdated. Sometimes you've an american country tinge to your voice and that's fine if that's what you want but i prefer your voice without it.

Best of luck.

To be honest I don’t like the recording of wake up in general, think the instrumentation could be changed a bit, don’t like the vocal sound at all, I also didn’t perform to the best I can either.. but when I'm looking at a proper release, it’ll be re-recorded if it’s going to be on the album. Again, relieve the past was recorded quickly straight after I wrote it, no real effort with the sounds etc. But thanks for the advice, I'm really grateful. As long as ye think the actual songs are there, the production can be done properly!
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 thered

listened to Wake-up

i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Life and death: This tune builds up nicely with a simple backing melody. The piano addition works well. You have a good voice that sits well for casual listening. It is a very 'easy listening' type sound which may prevent it standing out.

Relive the past: A good variation to the guitar sound. The vocal bounces along nicely. The song builds up to a point in a similar way to 'the story' by Brandii Carlile, but without the rawness of her vocal in well chosen points. You should listen to that tune for this. The guitar solo is well placed and adds greatly to the song. You should play around with the tone/ sound of the lead guitar to make it more different than the rythym. This is a good tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

i listened to wake up. your voice is good. the song is a little bit x-factory for me but at the same time not too bad a tune. there is a market out there for this stuff and this is as good as ive heard for this style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bassist needed

it's ok...

not a real hook, but your voice is ok...

at least you had the sense to vary the arrangement a bit!

So kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 saim_saim

hey...
    wake up

it is pretty good... but not the best... i like it ... nice to h ear it amazon affiliate program

cheers everyone, as i said, dont judge me on the wake up recording, especially my voice, but thanks very much for your feedback! please stay tuned to my myspace and also my facebook where i'll be posting some new stuff that i think is much better! www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hugh-ONeill/51317394916

cheers,
    Hugh.

Advertisement