Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell League Race - 17/06/10

• 17-06-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Well that was fun. I didn't want to start a thread as I don't have a lot to report but thought people might like to chat about the race.

**Look away now if you have no interest in boring amateur racing**

Really wasn't feeling the buzz today, I think my on/off training over the winter hasn't helped. I've started to feel a little tired racing, not fresh at all even on shorter spins, let alone races.

Went out to the start line ~27km of warm up cycle through dodgy suburbia. I was a bit disappointed with my new wheels, they were nice, but I struggled to find a lot of difference between them and the ksyriums. Then, my new shoes had poorly aligned cleats, creating a bit of knee pain. Tried to fix it when I got to the start line and it was fine for the race, but I really should have spent more time setting them up properly. I really felt it on the way home.

Race went well, although the first lap was shockingly poor. I was hoping to sit in and not do much today, I think maybe the last few weeks hadn't yielded much from working well (not strong enough to do anything more than work in a group and hope) so this week the plan was to do a bit, but not take over for any prolonged periods.

After the first lap (which was slow!), Rodney took control and started getting people working. I felt ok, but not sharp. The pace had risen but I still felt comfortable.

Final lap, half way around, we were caught by two break away riders: the eventual winner Pat from Orwell and an older Usher chap. They spurred the group on, making us work harder and it was certainly working. Attacked the corners harder this time, until the two of them decided to try and ride off again. Rodney and myself stayed with them and I thought we might stay away until (once again) I looked around and saw a huge bunch behind. A few guys managed to bridge and eventually I found myself in the top half of the group, close to Aidan and Tom. On the final drag before the finish I felt good and tried to move but everywhere was blocked in, a few guys were even slowing down making it harder to move, so I was left to enjoy a bunch finish over the line. Still feeling good (peaking late in a race is not good, no?) I really think if I had found some space I could have sprinted to the line. Probably not for a place, but maybe seeing how I fared against better riders.

Too many joggers out today, it could have been nasty at the end as they tried to jog past the bunch.

Still, enjoyed it all the same:

Distance: 102.66km (43.99km for race)
    Speed: 29.5km/hr (37.2km/hr for race)
    HR: Couldn't have been bothered wearing strap!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

It was just so badly organised today! One second I was thinking, screw it, put the head down and work hard, but that yielded no results. Then sit in and let things tip along, but that was no fun! It only got interesting when the 2 break aways caught us, but then I lost my legs, the main bunch caught us and I sat up, collected my dropped bottle and casually strode home.

I think there needs to be a lot more communication in the group, it was just not there tonight... We need to either work hard, together, and consistently, or else not fool ourselves, save energy and work with the semi-limiters. One tactic may prove foolhardy and naieve, while the other is cynical and negative. I know what I'd prefer, but I've always been an optimist!

Also, ditto on the fatigue thing. Started this race feeling good, but ended feeling rough. Granted, the crampy-post-gel-stomach didn't assist me, but rough leg-wise too. Think I'll take a week off, relax a bit this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    ......... (peaking late in a race is not good, no?)........
    Its what every racer hopes for! Once your there at the end of the race of course.:)
    Seems your racing legs are coming around just fine Dirk. Maybe you need to reduce the long spins and focus more on speed and power output. 200km spins in the hills (IMO) are not going to improve your racing legs at this time of the year. Are you getting adequate rest? Do you do much speed work? Sorry if these seem like silly questions and suggestions but you would be surprised at the number of people who take them for granted.
    Keep up the reports, really enjoy reading them as they bring back good memories (regardless of what other people think!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I hope so. I think more than legs is the mental side of racing seems to be progressing. I know others have said I talk myself out of races, which I need to work on big time. I feel I'm getting better at handling myself in a bunch and positioning myself towards the end. Pushing through the pain barrier is something I've never been good at but it seems to be a requirement in cycling.

Dead right sy, I don't have much of a base this year and I've suffered on longer cycles, I think this has really contributed to the "heavy legs" I've been getting recently. I enjoy the days out, but it does make racing a bit harder. I go for the odd midweek spin now, but in terms of focusing on training goals (unless I'm with someone) doesn't really happen. I found it easier on the turbo, on the road I tend to be all over the place.

I was hoping that there might be some other race reports...looks slightly self indulgent like this :o

EDIT: Sorry, had to delete quotes, my post wasn't displaying right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

my race report is in my log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I enjoyed that. The group was mostly working well together, got to do a good bit of work and was up around 8th in the sprint so all good. I didn't realise Pat got away at the end but not surprised. The road condition caused havoc with the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I blew up. Didn't eat enough beforehand and could feel the jelly legs starting even on lap one. Turned off the circuit on the third lap and went home to my fridge.

Racing on loose chippings was mental. Had one or two little moments when my rear wheel slid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I enjoyed that. The group was mostly working well together, got to do a good bit of work and was up around 8th in the sprint so all good. I didn't realise Pat got away at the end but not surprised. The road condition caused havoc with the bunch.

Darn, I didn't see you anywhere at the end. It was very hard to move I think if you aren't positioned up front leading up to that last drag you just have to be happy to sit in.

Pat said he was still at the front when the bunch caught up and then just launched himself for the line. He was sitting down on the grass at the side of the road for a few minutes afterwards. That guy has some engine! Great to race with too, little words of encouragement everytime you would come through for a turn. It's amazing how something like that can make you dig that bit deeper.

EDIT: @Tonto - yeah the guy in limit on the 1980s looking bike was hitting both brakes, I could see his bike starting to buck and thought "get away from me". I thought cars coming against us could have slowed down a bit, you would see one, slowly attempt to correct your course without sliding off, but it wasn't as easy as just tucking in on a regular road. Maybe a marshal there to warn drivers to slow down might have helped. I didn't like it anyway, I hate gravel/chippings..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    EDIT: @Tonto - yeah the guy in limit on the 1980s looking bike was hitting both brakes, I could see his bike starting to buck and thought "get away from me". I thought cars coming against us could have slowed down a bit, you would see one, slowly attempt to correct your course without sliding off, but it wasn't as easy as just tucking in on a regular road. Maybe a marshal there to warn drivers to slow down might have helped. I didn't like it anyway, I hate gravel/chippings..

My theory about how to ride them seemed to work well for the most part. I reckon you should take them the same as cobbles. Whack it into a big gear and power across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

el tonto wrote: »
    My theory about how to ride them seemed to work well for the most part. I reckon you should take them the same as cobbles. Whack it into a big gear and power across.

+1.
    Happened upon a 4k strech of road last sunday that was in process of being laid, but just left for the weekend. Lots of cobbles everywhere. Low gear and high cadence is bad, very bad. Low gear and easy cadence is better, but no traction. Higher gear and stable cadence worked the best. Much more control and less slippage.
    I was on my own, not sure how any of this would work in a tight race group.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

It doesn't help you when you're tyres are bunched after it though....

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Sounds like a great race that i missed again, speeds seem to be really getting up as well, i ll be left for dead next time im out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I really enjoyed that race. I did a little better at getting through the bunch at the end but still could get through to the places. Legs felt good though and tactically I felt I was choosing the right wheels to follow (i.e. scratch riders looking predatory). It was just too tight to get through. Too late, yet again.

There were a fair few yelps when the road turned to gravel on that descent the first time around - I knew it was coming but clearly word had not spread to everyone. There was a general consensus not to push it on the gravel though so there was no drama. Pat and one other rider got away on the second lap on the descent and I made a half hearted attempt to get over to them but decided it wasn't worth the effort, we still had a full lap to go and we hadn't caught SL yet, so I thought they were on a hiding to nothing. I was sure we'd easily pull them back on the N81. Lesson learned. Never underestimate Pat, the boy clearly eats children. How else do you explain it?

Speed in SS was 42.1kph avg which felt fast, especially as we weren't able to use the descent to go really fast. Again, the first lap was blisteringly fast though I didn't suffer as much as last time for some reason - probably because I knew it would calm down rather than last time where I thought it would only get worse. I did my work on the front and got a good workout which is important to me. All in all, a very good way to spend a thursday evening.

Advertisement