Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimax - what do you think?

• 18-06-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

got the wimax flyer in the door this week. they are rolling it out in cavan town and surrounding areas first. they charge 30 euro per month for 3mb broadband. Including line rental I'm paying eircom 55 euro per month at the moment so it looks like a good saving.
    wimax flyer small print says that there is a 50 euro activation fee and a once off purchase price for the kit of 50 euro. also 100 euro fee applies for installation of outdoor hub, whatever that is. also 12 month contract

Still, after a few months its works out cheaper. has anyone looked into this or heard anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mprend

I got wimax last week and its great! all my calls and broadband for 30 euro. i'm saving a fortune compared to eircom. there was a 50 euro activation fee but that was it. you only pay the 100 euro for an outdoor hub if you are outside the range of the mast. the sales rep who came to my house was actually really nice as well and didn't bombard me with technical jargin or waffle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

mprend wrote: »
    I got wimax last week and its great! all my calls and broadband for 30 euro. i'm saving a fortune compared to eircom. there was a 50 euro activation fee but that was it. you only pay the 100 euro for an outdoor hub if you are outside the range of the mast. the sales rep who came to my house was actually really nice as well and didn't bombard me with technical jargin or waffle!

signed up with them last week, waiting for the installation.

if you push them they will waive the 50 euro activation fee. they did for me anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Where are you guys able to get get the signal from and where are you's?

M three wrote: »
    signed up with them last week, waiting for the installation.

if you push them they will waive the 50 euro activation fee. they did for me anyways

well done on gettin de 50 euro waived, wish i'd tried that! anyways i'm happy enough.

It took just over a week or so for them 2 send out the equipment and it easy enough 2 set it up, you just plug everthing into the box thingy

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Where are you guys able to get get the signal from and where are you's?

I'm in cavan town itself, tis guy came 2 door sellin it, i'v his num still on brochure somewer if ur stuck

• Advertisement

I'm in cavan town itself, tis guy came 2 door sellin it, i'v his num still on brochure somewer if ur stuck

Im on the Cavan side of Belturbet...Wanna get rid of the house phone cause all we use the landline is for the Broadband,Whats the speeds like?

Im on the Cavan side of Belturbet...Wanna get rid of the house phone cause all we use the landline is for the Broadband,Whats the speeds like?

dont think the service is available outside of the environs of cavan town.
    they dropped leaflets into houses in the areas that they can cover.

wimax rep told me the mast / tramsmitter was on the hill above tesco in cavan and each mast can take 400 homes

dont think the service is available outside of the environs of cavan town.
    they dropped leaflets into houses in the areas that they can cover.

wimax rep told me the mast / tramsmitter was on the hill above tesco in cavan and each mast can take 400 homes

Well, its only a matter of time before they put new masts to cover rural locations, the rep told me they wud have 98 per cent coverage of the whole country within 2 years, they seem pretty serious to take the country by storm.

I hav the 3mg package and speeds are fine i think, no difference from eircom and we were meant to hav 7 mg with them

Well, its only a matter of time before they put new masts to cover rural locations, the rep told me they wud have 98 per cent coverage of the whole country within 2 years, they seem pretty serious to take the country by storm.

I hav the 3mg package and speeds are fine i think, no difference from eircom and we were meant to hav 7 mg with them

I'd advise anyone with an eircom connection to go onto speedtest.net and test the actual speed. its usually far from what you are paying for beacuse of contention etc.

in saying that wimax will be no different, putting up new masts is not as easy as it used to be, and I'll believe 98% coverage when i see it. 3 mobile have been saying something similiar for ages, we tried their network for 6 months and you couldnt drive 20 yards without losing their signal, was brutal. if you're on the road dont even attempt using 3

I'd advise anyone with an eircom connection to go onto speedtest.net and test the actual speed. its usually far from what you are paying for beacuse of contention etc.

in saying that wimax will be no different, putting up new masts is not as easy as it used to be, and I'll believe 98% coverage when i see it. 3 mobile have been saying something similiar for ages, we tried their network for 6 months and you couldnt drive 20 yards without losing their signal, was brutal. if you're on the road dont even attempt using 3

Doesn't wimax require far greater signal than mobile networks so it mite take them even longer to roll it out than it sounds!!

• Advertisement

Doesn't wimax require far greater signal than mobile networks so it mite take them even longer to roll it out than it sounds!!

it does need alot more and thats why imagine have bought up alot of 'spectrum' i.e the frequency the signals travels on, far more than a mobile phone provider, and imagines spectrum can't be interfered wit, aparently!

i'm startin 2 annoy the imagine rep at tis stage, i think wit questions, but he has good answers, like, if it wasn't goin 2 work big companies like motorola, intel and microsoft wouldn't be backing wimax, which they are.

its new technology and will prob take time 2 catch on, people laughed at mobile phones in de 80's when they came out first and now look at them, nobody i can think of would be without a mobile now

it does need alot more and thats why imagine have bought up alot of 'spectrum' i.e the frequency the signals travels on, far more than a mobile phone provider, and imagines spectrum can't be interfered wit, aparently!

i'm startin 2 annoy the imagine rep at tis stage, i think wit questions, but he has good answers, like, if it wasn't goin 2 work big companies like motorola, intel and microsoft wouldn't be backing wimax, which they are.

its new technology and will prob take time 2 catch on, people laughed at mobile phones in de 80's when they came out first and now look at them, nobody i can think of would be without a mobile now

if we had proper broadband infrastructure wimax wouldnt even be considered. intel are seeing it as a way to sell chips. I'll know more about it in a few weeks when I try it out but I'm starting to hear a lot of people refer to it as midband, not broadband.......

Mprend, what part of cavan town you in?? I'm curious as to what areas they have up and running already

if we had proper broadband infrastructure wimax wouldnt even be considered. intel are seeing it as a way to sell chips. I'll know more about it in a few weeks when I try it out but I'm starting to hear a lot of people refer to it as midband, not broadband.......

Mprend, what part of cavan town you in?? I'm curious as to what areas they have up and running already

Gallows hill, up behind wer de cimema is

anyway its too expensive to dig up towns and streets and put in copper and fiber to create a 'proper infrastructure' for broadband, and eircom can't afford 2 upgrade the existing infrastructure. wimax eliminates the need for an out dated infrastructure altogether......hopefully!!

Gallows hill, up behind wer de cimema is

If its anyone thats gonna get the most of the wimax mast...it will be you sir!! :p

anyway its too expensive to dig up towns and streets and put in copper and fiber to create a 'proper infrastructure' for broadband, and eircom can't afford 2 upgrade the existing infrastructure. wimax eliminates the need for an out dated infrastructure altogether......hopefully!!

how is fiber optic "dated"? countries who are literally light years ahead of us technologically and economically use physical networks to achieve broadband speeds that we can only dream about.

You're starting to sound like a wimax rep...........are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Johnny T

I'm equally suspicious of mprend's motive.

The Wimax rep that called to my door lamblasted Eircom when I told him I had their 7MB service. As I work from home and need a landline phone, I've no problem paying for it. It's also fast and reliable I told him, but this just frustrated him. His demeanor was similiar to that used by mprend in his previous posts.

When I mentioned to him that the local cable company were laying fibre for broadband in the Cavan area, just like mprend, he also told me that fibre was "out-dated", much to my amusement.

The reality is that broadband over microwave is a no-go. It's limited in the speeds it can achieve and among other problems, is susceptible to drop out when it rains. There is no limit to what speeds can be achieved over fibre, as long as the operator has the means to provide it.

Large companies are also notorious for poor customer service and I'm sure Wimax will be no different. They also have an extremely annoying advert campaign with that idiot and his guitar everytime I turn on the TV. And clearly their reps (on commission) will do anything to get their numbers up, including deviously masquerading as someone they are not on websites like this to mislead you.

I suspect that's the last we'll hear from pretend........ sorry I mean mprend.

Johnny T wrote: »
    I'm equally suspicious of mprend's motive.

The Wimax rep that called to my door lamblasted Eircom when I told him I had their 7MB service. As I work from home and need a landline phone, I've no problem paying for it. It's also fast and reliable I told him, but this just frustrated him. His demeanor was similiar to that used by mprend in his previous posts.

When I mentioned to him that the local cable company were laying fibre for broadband in the Cavan area, just like mprend, he also told me that fibre was "out-dated", much to my amusement.

The reality is that broadband over microwave is a no-go. It's limited in the speeds it can achieve and among other problems, is susceptible to drop out when it rains. There is no limit to what speeds can be achieved over fibre, as long as the operator has the means to provide it.

Large companies are also notorious for poor customer service and I'm sure Wimax will be no different. They also have an extremely annoying advert campaign with that idiot and his guitar everytime I turn on the TV. And clearly their reps (on commission) will do anything to get their numbers up, including deviously masquerading as someone they are not on websites like this to mislead you.

I suspect that's the last we'll hear from pretend........ sorry I mean mprend.

wrong actually, i'm a student in dkit. And just to make something clear i didn't say or mean fibre was out of date. I just meant it very expensive to dig up roads and housing estates to install the fibre. I actually agree fibre is the best mode of broadband but unfortunately in tis country everything is done arse ways!

how is fiber optic "dated"? countries who are literally light years ahead of us technologically and economically use physical networks to achieve broadband speeds that we can only dream about.

You're starting to sound like a wimax rep...........are you?

I meant copper phone lines were out of date and thats all dat we really have in tis country, soz for confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Anyone outside of Cavan town having any luck with them? I'm around 7km towards Kilnaleck.

• Advertisement

Anyone outside of Cavan town having any luck with them? I'm around 7km towards Kilnaleck.

im in cavan town, signed up with them few weeks ago and have heard nothing since, still using eircom so not too bothered, hope it isnt a sign of things to come though.

from what I know its only available around town, you should check wimax or imagines website or phone them to see if they plan to cover your area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

im in cavan town, signed up with them few weeks ago and have heard nothing since, still using eircom so not too bothered, hope it isnt a sign of things to come though.

from what I know its only available around town, you should check wimax or imagines website or phone them to see if they plan to cover your area

Funny thing, what you've said is exactly what I'm hearing. They knocked in many of my my mates house 4 of them signed up and have heard nothing since then.

Nope not a good thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dormant_co_acc

Anyone living in Virginia got the wimax? I'm curious about it but I'm just generally wary of wireless broadband. Someone earlier mentioned 3 broadband. I had that too and couldn't get a signal for love nor money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I hear its very good if you have teenage kids at home and they are always on the phone - Chatting with their firend and gaming online... then your gonna be fine.

(all togther now).. you got.. Wimax, a-comin across the nation, Imagine wiimax is the new sensation, wiimax is the next generation.

(Sure while I'm at it >>>)

Faster, cheaper, better, no rental fee. for more information see imagine dot i e.

I hate that song/advert. Makes me want to slap the TV....

I'v had imagine wimax for the last month or so and their customer service leaves alot to be desired i.e. it absolutely terrible! if things don't pick up with them i'll be gettin rid and going back to eircom with no hesitation.

It looks like when 'things sound too good to be true', thats because they are 'too good to be true'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I have a good mind to report that post as abusive in nature!!

I haven't even listened to it and the song is stuck in my head. Thanks!! :-S

I hear its very good if you have teenage kids at home and they are always on the phone - Chatting with their firend and gaming online... then your gonna be fine.

And the difference between Wi-max and DSL broadband in that context is??

• Advertisement

I'v had imagine wimax for the last month or so and their customer service leaves alot to be desired i.e. it absolutely terrible! if things don't pick up with them i'll be gettin rid and going back to eircom with no hesitation.

It looks like when 'things sound too good to be true', thats because they are 'too good to be true'.

Thats not good. mind me asking what was wrong that you had to ring customer service for? can you tell us a bit more please? were you on hold for ages, is it an overseas call centre

Thats not good. mind me asking what was wrong that you had to ring customer service for? can you tell us a bit more please? were you on hold for ages, is it an overseas call centre

we'd no dial tone at all on phone, tried ringing customer service all day from morning from mobile and they didn't even answer. when i did get throught eventually 2 someone ( an irish girl) they said they would give me a call back straight away. They got back 2 us over four hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kieran75

hi,

this wi-max has been rolled out a while in cavan town now and i am thinking of getting it. what is the service like now does anyone know...i kknow there were problems at the start but im hoping they're fixed now.

i am in the swellan area.

i dont want it for the phone...only for broadband.

thanks..

would be wary of it, unless its saving you a packet and you dont have to download much, if theres any problems with it while have it their customer service is poor as has already been mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I had imagine fixed line broadband and got rid of it because of their terrible customer support . I'am now with utv internet and couldn't be happier .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

wimax are grand , but theres a few tricks you should use , if you download a lot don't do it at full speed all the time or they'll flag you and tell you to change you usage pattern as your throttling the service and it can effect others , so just download at about 200kbs , they are cheap though 35euro for a 7mb connection which gives d/l speed of about 450kbs but and its a big but for some reason l can get up to 950kbs-1.1mbs when l use an excellerator like internetdownloadmanager (IDM) so all in all its pretty good way better than eircom twats

• Advertisement
Advertisement