Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband constantly disconnecting.

• 18-06-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

My Eircom broadband has recently started disconnecting every 3/4 mins...

Does anyone else have this? 'Cause I know my friend that lives up the road has the same condition. I rang Eircom support earlier on today, they did something to my line and restarted my router, but that didn't help at all, the problem just came back few mins later... Again, does anyone else have this condition? I live in Portmarnock, btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

zyxel router yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

No, the Netopia one. Model 2247-02.

I doubt it's the router's fault, since I haven't touched it at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats? Often disconnections are a sign of low snr. It is possible that your speed has been pushed up and your line is not up to it.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 8.00 29.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.50 23.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Copied from DSL Statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sounds like there's a higher level of ambient electrical noise in the area which is dragging down your signal margin to lower than it should be. Attenuation of 37.5 dB should be able to handle 4 mbps no problem.

Could you find out at what times it happens at, and see if it ties in with any other event? Like lights switching on outside or else a timer switching on for immersion etc.

• Advertisement

It happens through out the whole day, and I don't seem to find anything that ties with it. :S

Can phones disturb it? 'Cause I just got a HTC Desire, and before that the connection was fine.

I just found out one thing too when looking at the router's page, the SN Margin for downstream keeps going up and down everytime I refresh, lowest I've seen is like -2 highest 11.
    Does that matter or it's just natural?

Yeah, the Signal margin should change somewhat each time the page refreshes. If the signal margin changed by more than 3dB in the space of a minute, it would suggest that there's some sort of intermitent electrical noise nearby or less likely, that your modem is starting to fail or that there's a problem with the DSLAM in the exchange. I could be missing something but I can't think of what else.

Have you tried to upgrade the firmware of the netopia? I've seen somewhat increased stability with Netopia 2247 routers when they got a firmware upgrade. http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/netopia/firmware/2247NWG-firmware.bin and a search for "firmware" on the eircom.net support page will show you how it's done.

Yeah, the router is already at it's latest firmware 2247-02 (nwta770r6.bin), updated it long time ago. So is it time for me to get a new router?

There is a slightly later firmware on the eircom website but I doubt it would make much difference to the one that the Motorola website offers.

I wouldn't do that just yet. Nagging eircom to do something would be good. Disconnecting everything from the main socket (extensions and all) and using the modem on that may help matters, and eircom will probably tell you to do something like that anyway. But temporarily disconnecting extension leads and other sockets at the master socket can work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ordinary Joe

Had a similar problem a coupel of weeks ago, a few weeks back the original Netopia modem I had went faulty, eircom sent out a new Netopia (same model you have) and I started having the same type of problems you describe (wife driven mad as she works from home and needs the BB).

After a fair bit of tooing and froing, they figured out that the old power supply from my original modem was not fully compatible with the new modem. Changed the power supply to the one that came with the new modem and no problems since !

Felt a bit of a muppet since I was the one who reused the old power lead though they said they would add it to their FAQ list as a few people had the same experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

kingbob387 wrote: »
    Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 8.00 29.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.50 23.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

Copied from DSL Statistics.
    i have tested the snr thing on the phone with eircom a few months back to try and find the sweet speed for my line..

when the speed is set to high for the line the SNR drops very low, and you get disconnects. your sn margin of 8 seems too low, get your line switched back to 3 mb and you will have a Higher snr value and less disconnects. it looks like your line cant take 4mb ... when my line was set at 7mb i had very low SNR it varied but went as low as 1 or 2 and got frequent disconnects,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paccopp

There is something wrong with Netopia modems as Eircom had to replace so far 4 modems that I know. One at home, 2 at work and one of my colleagues is getting new one for his home broadband too. Guessing by the behavior of the modem it is probably a faulty capacitor ether in the power supply or inside the modem that goes faulty after approximately one year of exploitation. So don't suspect your telephone lines or anything else before you rule out the modem itself ;)

Advertisement