Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and fishing

Options
  • 18-06-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello all ,
    I was with my boyfriend while he was fishing the Dodder along the Dodder road section, when a woman threw her dog in where he was fishing , he protested at this but she dismissed his protest because she said she was a resident and perfectly entitled to let her dog swim in the river, does anyone know what is the Law, rules , etiquette is in this regard ?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

katy39 wrote: »
    Hello all ,
    I was with my boyfriend while he was fishing the Dodder along the Dodder road section, when a woman threw her dog in where he was fishing , he protested at this but she dismissed his protest because she said she was a resident and perfectly entitled to let her dog swim in the river, does anyone know what is the Law, rules , etiquette is in this regard ?
    Thanks.

Tell her that the dog could pick up any number of nasty parasites, including getting tics in the long grass afterward, and was she that keen to pay a vet bill for the sake of hosing off her dog.

Even if its not true, it'll sound true enough to put the ****s in her :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You do not have any lawful grounds for complaint, any more than if an ignorant driver cuts you off in traffic. There remains only complaint and attrition, if you want to waste more time on such a person.

Their dog is not expected to learn manners, but they are supposed to be more sophisticated and civilised than their dumb pet animal, and that point can be made.

This is the downside to fishing waters with public access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Laws or rules, no.
    Her being a resident makes no odds:rolleyes:.
    Still dosnt excuse her for being a d*ck.
    Thankfully most of the dog walkers are courteous enough around my area.

He could have told her the dog should be on a lead. She cant argue back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I was fishing yesterday evening when I saw a fellas dogs jump into the water and start chasing the baby ducklings, I think most managed to escape but after the dogs left the mother duck was flying frantically up and down the river so I'd say she was missing at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

well you could tell them that youare phoning the dog warden as all dgs have to be kept on a lead unless in private property and there are also around 12 breeds that have to war a muzzel at all times even when on the lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

ferrete wrote: »
    well you could tell them that youare phoning the dog warden as all dgs have to be kept on a lead unless in private property

That's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

That's not true.

Is it not? I thought that in a public area dogs had to be kept under control?? Could you explain a bit better?

Regardless of it having to be on a lead or not, it was just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Is it not? I thought that in a public area dogs had to be kept under control??
    Keeping a dog under control does not necessarily require it to be on a lead.

There's no law against being an asshole. I'd just tell her that you can't guarantee that your hook won't get caught in her dog (which should be obvious to anyone with half a brain).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody visiting howth peir during the summer will know the full meaning of asshole behaviour.
    You've got people drinking cans,people blaring music,scrubbers screaming at kids which are running amok,dogs running around and barking and everything else in between.

Advertisement