Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silk Thai - RIP OFF!!

Options
  • 18-06-2010 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all! I'm sorry for one of my first posts to be such a negative rant but I just had to share this awful experience!

I went to Silk Thai tonight for one of my friends birthdays, there were 3 of us in total. We were seated straight away and ordered 2 diet cokes, listed on the menu at e1.95. We then proceeded to order our dinner, my friend the birthday girl ordered from the early bird menu which we thought was fantastic for 10 euro for a main course, the other 2 in our group ordered from the regular menu. On the menu it states all main courses include chips or rice, our waitress gave us the option of chips, fried rice or boiled rice. We all asked for the fried rice. We also ordered a portion of chips and a small bowl of plain green curry sauce for the table.

To cut to the chase, we finished our meals and asked for the bill. We were charged 2.40 for the cokes listed on the menu at 1.95; 3.50 for each portion of rice as apparently only boiled rice and chips were included with the meal which our waitress conveniently forgot to inform us of and 8 EUROS and 95 CENTS for a bowl of SAUCE.

I am absolutely disgusted with this restaurant and their rip-off pricing. I complained and the waitress was completely unwilling to budge. She thought it was perfectly reasonable to charge us 9 euro for a bowl of sauce because there was coconut milk in it and helpfully pointed out that for an extra 4 euro we could have had vegetables and prawns/beef/chicken with our sauce.

We anticipated our meal for 3 costing around 45 euro in total, we ended up having to hand over 62 euro.

I will not be back anyway and I'm struggling to understand how they can justify their prices! I work in a restaurant and if I were to attempt to charge 9 euros for a gravy bowl/ketchup whatever the equivalent is I would be laughed out the door!

The whole experience has made me slightly irate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

where is this place ( so i can avoid it ? ) i love thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

L_E_M wrote: »
    To cut to the chase, we finished our meals and asked for the bill. We were charged 2.40 for the cokes listed on the menu at 1.95;

Am I not right in saying that you have to pay the price on the menu?? Isn't there some law around this??

If this was me I wouldn't have backed down, I'd kick up a fuss and walk out and threaten to pay nothing at all :) Though I know this is hard when you're part of a group and don't want to come across as being cheap.

Thanks for sharing the experience, I'd recommend you post your review on www.menupages.ie too.

Should have gone to the Ruen Thai ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

While I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that a Cork Restaurant was overpriced, this does seem farcical.

I can imagine the amount of people who don't check their bill but are regularly ripped off.

You should write a letter of complaint to management about this, you never know, you might get some satisfaction.

This is the place on washington street, isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 L_E_M

It's the one at the top of Washington St. They're not open until 4:30 today but they will be receiving a phone call from me then! If it hadn't have been my friends birthday I probably wouldn't have paid that but I didn't want to cause a massive scene which she would have noticed seeing as we were the only people in the restaurant!

• Advertisement

Thanks for sharing the experience, I'd recommend you post your review on www.menupages.ie too.

I went straight to www.menupages.ie when I got home! They're not even listed on there, so I had to settle for www.tripadvisor.com

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bit ****ty alright, nothing worse than misleading pricing on a menu. They're within their rights to do it but it's bad form and puts people off. If you're after Thai food go to Thai Thanie, the new place in Ballincollig above Sam's bar on the main st. I think there's one in Midleton too. Food is absolutely savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

I'd recommend Banna Thai on Maylor St, I found them to be very professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I went there on a date a few months ago, I asked the woman (obviously a manager I'd say) for a very mild green curry, she served me a very spicy green curry, I like spicy indian food, mild thai food. The woman working there was an idiot.

ME: do you have peppermint tea?
    Woman: yes we do have peppermint tea
    ME: two cups of that so please
    Woman: ok

She then serves us green tea (cheap crappy stuff, honest mistake I thought)

I proceed to tell her that this is the wrong stuff, and not what we ordered, she says "we don't have peppermint tea" and just walks off...

This restaurant has changed style in the last few years, Indian, malaysian and now thai, based on my experience, I won't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

themonboys wrote: »

+1

I think this is one of the better restaurants in Cork to be honest. Nicely diverse menu, and not shy on the hot Thai dishes either.

I generally find in a small town like cork, the specific ethnic cuisine can be limited, but this place is as good as any and it isn't expensive either.

• Advertisement

I love Banna Thai, we just decided to try something different! It's very rare that I would complain in a restaurant but I was literally gobsmacked by the woman's attitude. As I mentioned before I work in a restaurant and if a customer is unhappy I do everything I can to try to make them feel like their complaint has been taken on board. A simple apology really does go a long way in instances like this. The last thing any restaurant needs right now is someone going around leaving comments on boards/tripadvisor/menupages about the terrible experience they had! The way were treated was so shocking I just couldn't let it slide and I really wanted to warn people about it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

L_E_M wrote: »
    I love Banna Thai, we just decided to try something different! It's very rare that I would complain in a restaurant but I was literally gobsmacked by the woman's attitude. As I mentioned before I work in a restaurant and if a customer is unhappy I do everything I can to try to make them feel like their complaint has been taken on board. A simple apology really does go a long way in instances like this. The last thing any restaurant needs right now is someone going around leaving comments on boards/tripadvisor/menupages about the terrible experience they had! The way were treated was so shocking I just couldn't let it slide and I really wanted to warn people about it!
    Was this the very serious Indian looking woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Bassfish wrote: »
    Bit ****ty alright, nothing worse than misleading pricing on a menu. They're within their rights to do it but it's bad form and puts people off. If you're after Thai food go to Thai Thanie, the new place in Ballincollig above Sam's bar on the main st. I think there's one in Midleton too. Food is absolutely savage.

Love Thai Thanie! Best Thai food ive ever had and the staff are great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Bassfish

sok2005 wrote: »
    Ya defo. Went there for the mothers birthday. She's in a wheelchair so it can be awkward going for dinner sometimes but they were able to accommodate us no probs and were sound. My dad usually isn't all that gone on Thai food and even he thought it was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Totally agree - with both the food comment and the staff comment! Have been there a few times now. Quite reasonable too. :)

Where exactly is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Where exactly is it?

The restaurant I was talking about is in Ballincollig just beyond Aldi on the Main Street (just before Sams Bar).

There's also one on Main Street in Midleton, but I've never been there.

The restaurant I was talking about is in Ballincollig just beyond Aldi on the Main Street (just before Sams Bar).

There's also one on Main Street in Midleton, but I've never been there.

Cheers, I'll check it out.

Advertisement