Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing name on bill (without major effort!)

• 18-06-2010 1:43am
    Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭

My ESB bill is in the name of someone who doesn't live with me anymore, I'd like to change it over but when I contacted ESB they said I'd have to get meter readings, clear the balance and then pay a deposit up front.

It's easier to just leave their name on it and keep paying it myself (as I've been doing). Is there an easier way:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Copacetic,

Its not the ideal situation to have the bill in the name of somebody who used to live with you. There are a number of reasons why:

1. Under the Data Protection Act we are not permitted to discuss an account with anyone but the registered account holder. So, if you contact us to discuss an account that is not in your name, we will not be able to discuss it with you.

2. If you are paying a bill in somebody else's name, you are builiding a credit history for this person, with us.

3. You do not have any control over the account. We can only take instruction from the account holder.

I would advise you to transfer the account to your name and the easiest way to open your account is to do it online here.

You will need the following information to hand when you are opening your account:
    • Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) or the serial number from the front of the meter.
    • Personal information, such as your telephone number.
    • A meter reading.
    First time customers are required to pay a €300.00 security deposit, which you mentioned. However, you do not have to pay this deposit if you choose to set up on direct debit with us.

So in answer to your question, the easiest way to change the name on the bill would be to transfer the account into your name, using our online service and then set up on direct debit to pay your bills.

If you do this, you would not have to pay a security deposit and you would have ultimate control over the electricity supply at your home.

If you have any other questions about setting up a new account, let me know and I'd be happy to help

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jeda

HI there,
    I have a similar problem as the OP in that I'm trying to get a name change on my bill. I was told the same as they were about setting up direct debit/ paying deposit etc and the account not being in my control as they have to talk with the account holder and can deal with them and them alone. My problem is that the account holder was my father and he passed away over fourteen years ago, after that my mother tried to get the bill changed into her name but was told it was better for her security if post addressed to a man still came to the house. Unfortunately she herself passed away over two years ago and when I contacted the esb to facilitate the name change to me the next of kin on more than one occasion I was given a load of options and told to pick one. The reason I haven't is because every other utility incl eircom have done this for me as a matter of course and condition free, something I had expected as I all Im asking for is the first name to be changed!
    I would be grateful if someone could look into this further for me, it would be nice to be treated as the paying customer that I am and not like I dont exist. Also I dont understand how there isnt a precedent with the esb for dealing with next of kin of deceased account holders, like every other utility I had to deal with!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Jeda,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. In the case of a loss of a family member, certainly the last thing we want you exposed to is inflexibility of that kind.

Believe me, your loyalty is valued and we will make sure that any exceptional circumstances you encounter are accommodated without fuss. We try our best not to be a faceless corporation :).

Sorry - I don't mean to be (I was going to say facetious)... Before I dig any holes for myself, if you would pm your account details, I will ensure the situation is sorted as soon as possible.

Thanks,

David.

Hi Jeda,

Just PM'd you there - all done! You should get a letter confirming that within a couple of working days.

Thanks for providing all the necessary info, making it very easy for me altogether. :)

If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know.

Thanks again,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jeda

Hi David,
    That's fantastic! Thanks again for all your help, I know where to go now if I ever have another problem!!
    :D:D:D
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

I would advise you to transfer the account to your name and the easiest way to open your account is to do it online here.

You will need the following information to hand when you are opening your account:
    • Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) or the serial number from the front of the meter.
    • Personal information, such as your telephone number.
    • A meter reading.
    First time customers are required to pay a €300.00 security deposit, which you mentioned. However, you do not have to pay this deposit if you choose to set up on direct debit with us.

So in answer to your question, the easiest way to change the name on the bill would be to transfer the account into your name, using our online service and then set up on direct debit to pay your bills.

If you do this, you would not have to pay a security deposit and you would have ultimate control over the electricity supply at your home.

If you have any other questions about setting up a new account, let me know and I'd be happy to help

Many thanks
    Chris

Hey Chris,
    I've tried doing exactly this a few times but I keep getting a "HTTP Error 500" page every time I submit step 1 on the new domestic customer page.
    Is the site not working or is the problem at my end?

Hi Out of Order,

I'll check this out for you and get back to you in a few minutes.

Many thanks
    Chris

Hi Out of Order,

I'm back to you again.

I have just tried to access 'Step 1' in 'I'm a new customer' and it is working for me.

If you click this link, it will bring you directly to the application form.

Let me know if this does not work for you and I can look into it further, but it seems to be working fine for me at the moment.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Hi Out of Order,

I'm back to you again.

I have just tried to access 'Step 1' in 'I'm a new customer' and it is working for me.

If you click this link, it will bring you directly to the application form.

Let me know if this does not work for you and I can look into it further, but it seems to be working fine for me at the moment.

Many thanks
    Chris

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.
    I've filled it our in internet explorer and firefox but I'm still getting the error after I click 'next step'.
    Can you get to step 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I am amazed to see ESB costomer services responding to queries so quickly. I have an issue with ESB that has gone unresolved for 15 months and letters sent to the ESB have gone without reply. Just sent off another letter to Limerick under the Customer Charter, not holding my breath either.

• Advertisement

If that is still not working for you, Out of Order, you can PM me the details and I will take care of it for you.

As posted above, I will need:
    • Personal information, such as your name telephone number, date of birth.
    • A meter reading.
    Please do not post any of this information on the thread.

Look forward to hearing from you
    Chris

Hi Trad,

If you would like me to PM me your account number, I can look into this matter for you. 15 months is a very long time and I would like to find out what steps we are taking to resolve your query, if it is an ESB Customer Supply matter.

If the issue you are having is something to do with ESB Networks, I would be happy to contact them on your behalf and ask them to get in touch with you to discuss the matter.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

PM sent

Thank you Trad, I received your PM and I have responded to it.

That account has been transferred Trad. I've sent you a PM with the account information.

You will receive a Welcome Pack shortly for your new account.

If you set up on Direct Debit, the €300.00 security deposit will be removed. You can set up on Direct Debit here.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

trad wrote: »
    I am amazed to see ESB costomer services responding to queries so quickly.

That's what they're here for :) - doing a good job, ain't they? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭andy winter

Hi, I am currently living with somebody whose name the ESB is in, I would like to change it into my name, I believe they have an outstanding bill from a previous letting, how can I set up the ESB in my name so I can make sure the bill is paid and not go into arrears,

Thanks in advance,

PS: I will pay by DD and have MRN number and a/c number etc...

:)

Hi andy winter,

The information posted by my colleague Chris on the previous page would still cover what you would need to do yourself. This is because your account would not be connected in any way to that of another customer, so there is no possibility of their arrears being transferred to your account.

Only the customer whose name is on the bill is officially responsible for amounts outstanding. If you are having trouble setting up your account you can PM me your details and I will look into the matter for you.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rajpnkr

Hi.
    I was living at an apartment and didn't pay the bill when i left. the ESB was in my name. i left the place almost 2 years now. I have moved many places since then. Recently i moved to a house where i set up the esb in my name again, I got the arrears in my new bills which shows that someone has been using the esb in that old apartment in my name. I have evidence that i moved out of the place long time. Plus when i was moving out the landlord was to change the esb bill into their own name until they were to find another tenant as promised. I know usually landlords setup the esb in the tenants name, themselves..
    Now the last bill which i saw was about 2000 euro..in which i have to pay about 1200 euros or more for electricity that i haven't even used, which someone else is using in my name. I want to know . what do i have to do, so that i don't have to pay for what i haven't used.

Hi rajpnkr,

Unfortunately what I've said in the post above would still stand in this case, i.e.
    Only the customer whose name is on the bill is officially responsible for amounts outstanding.

The ultimate responsibility for closing an account is with the registered account holder, and liability for the account continues insofar as the account remains open. Our Ts&Cs are quite explicit on this point; see conditions 5 a & b for instance.

I understand that this is not what you want to hear. I would recommend you contact us on 1850 372 372 as soon as possible, to discuss what can be done. We would not be able to transfer the liability of this outstanding amount to anyone else without their express permission and agreement. Usually, two months is the maximum amount of time we can backdate an account closure.

Regards,

David.

• Advertisement
Advertisement