Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tranfer domain to new host

Options
  • 18-06-2010 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Right, so I've had it with my hosting company and have a 2nd hosting company all ready to go.
    With "Host A" I got the whole package, domain+hosting. Now I want to move them to "Host B" and be done with "Host A" completely.

So, how do I do this? I remember a while back if you wanted to transfer a domain, you needed some sort of serial number that proved ownership of your domain but I cant find any sign of this, either in my receipts or on the hosts control panel. Do I still need this?

I already have a full backup of the files and want to upload to the new host. Will I need to get the new host to create a folder there for me under public_html/mydomain, or how does this work?

And also, if i get the folder setup, and upload the data, how do I get the DNS and email transferred over to the new host?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Simply way.

1. Sign up for hosting account with new host
    2. Add domain to new package , replicate all email accounts and upload copy of your website , set-up database etc etc.
    3. When your happy that everything is replicated over on the new host transfer the domain.
    4. You will need to submit a transfer request through your new host.
    For .com domain etc you will need a transfer key and to ensure the domain is unlocked with the old host , you will also need access to the admin contact email for the domain.
    for .ie domains you just need to send in a signed fax authorising the transfer.

Advertisement