Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan

Options
  • 18-06-2010 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Phil Hogan has lost my vote. I won't be voting for Mr Hogan again for backing Enda Kenny.

I will be only reiterate what the public are saying about him and not just in a recent poll but it they have been saying it for years.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's how politics works. At least he had the balls to say what he thinks publicly, risking his own political future, instead of sitting in the back and saying what's popular, like some. Having said that , I won't be voting for him.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Same here if FG have Kenny in charge at next election I'll vote Labour, although the Carlow/Kilkenny Labour contenders are a bit unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

He's definitely lost my vote too. I'll be going Labour I reckon. The rest of them are unmitigated disasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It seems as if FG are actually in no hurry to get into power. They know that property taxes are on the way and would rather FF be the ones to introduce it.

I see little difference between FF and FG, so if they both implode the rump of both parties would be better off forming a new land based party.

I'll be steering clear of FG & FF next election, hopefully new alternatives may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Well Enda Kenny has got my vote, at least he showed balls and must be a good communicator in the background to round up enough support after his front bench deserted him. People here just love to complain no matter what the outcome, just shows were pretty certain to have another FF government after the next election but if for some reason FG/Lab get in I'm sure Phil Hogan will feature highly in the cabinet unlike any FF TD's we have in the constituency

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have complained if the outcome was Richard Bruton being the leader of Fine Gael.

I'm sure that as the most capable economic spokesman in national politics with plenty of charisma, oratory skills and common touch he would have put Fine Gael on the right track. Also, his young, enthusiastic and capable backers (like Conveney and Varadkar) would have made up a young, enthusiastic, progressive front bench under a leader they respect.

Fear change. Fear the young. Never prepare for the future. Enda Kenny is a personality black hole. He only showed balls when trying to keep power. He's had 8 years to show balls with Aherne and Cowen and he hasn't once. The Phil Hogan's and the old timers who backed him are too afraid that Fine Gael might end up being too unlike Fine Fail. They are going to get demolished at the polls and they deserve it.

No, if Richard Bruton was elected leader, I wouldn't have complained at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Dymo wrote: »
    Well Enda Kenny has got my vote, at least he showed balls and must be a good communicator in the background to round up enough support after his front bench deserted him. People here just love to complain no matter what the outcome, just shows were pretty certain to have another FF government after the next election but if for some reason FG/Lab get in I'm sure Phil Hogan will feature highly in the cabinet unlike any FF TD's we have in the constituency

What will he do for us though if he's in the cabinet? The last election his campaign was very poor. He said what Fine Gael were going to do for the country but not what he, himself, was going to do for us. On the other hand, John Paul Phelan went door to door and took the time to actually talk to the people. Coincidently, he backed Richard Bruton.

I don't rate Phil Hogan as a politician. How he's so high in a big party like Fine Gael is beyond me. In my opinion, he's not even the best Fine Gael politician in this constituency and I certainly won't be voting for him.

Everthing Threadhead said + 1.

The days of voting along traditional lines is fading, there is an appetite for political change, and i don't mean just who governs.

FG believe they are the natural next government, they'll get a shock if they are the minority party but that's the kind of shake up this country needs.

Enda Kenny has had an open goal for over a year now but rather than stick balls into the back of the net, he justs stands there tut tutting saying "FF are hopeless".

FG don't win elections, FF lose them and FG benefit so essentially we've had no real change of government over the years, just a few smaller left and right parties that bring change but are then blamed for the sins of the majority when it's convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Villain wrote: »
    Same here if FG have Kenny in charge at next election I'll vote Labour, although the Carlow/Kilkenny Labour contenders are a bit unknown.

Ann Phelan is the Carlow/Kilkenny candidate for Labour next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Threadhead wrote: »
    I'm sure that as the most capable economic spokesman in national politics with plenty of charisma, oratory skills and common touch

Aren't we still feeling the effects of what the last guy with those qualities did to the Country?

• Advertisement

The last Fine Gael guy is it?

The last Fine Gael guy is it?

No. I'm talking about the beloved Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Aren't we still feeling the effects of what the last guy with those qualities did to the Country?

I always thought Bertie was a blabbering aggresvive condesending idiot.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    No. I'm talking about the beloved Bertie Ahern.

I never thought there was anything capable about Bertie Ahern.

Apart from not having his nose grow when he spoke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I never thought there was anything capable about Bertie Ahern.

Apart from not having his nose grow when he spoke.

That reminds me of this:

:D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I wonder if bertie will follow his "Boom is getting boomier" with

"Da bust is gettin bustier!"

Tit!

femur61 wrote: »
    I always thought Bertie was a blabbering aggresvive condesending idiot.

He was, but that didn't stop the people of this Country confusing it with "charisma" and voting him back in time after time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

When Bertie signed the book of condolences for George Best, he spelt "government" wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I was on the fence about Phil Hogan until the Enda thing, which swayed me a little, but my grasp remained firm.

Then I heard him on the radio today defending the 'sport' of rearing an animal to maturity and then chasing it around to pass the time.

He's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Why would anyone want to vote for the Labour party when they have no policies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I was on the fence about Phil Hogan until the Enda thing, which swayed me a little, but my grasp remained firm.

Then I heard him on the radio today defending the 'sport' of rearing an animal to maturity and then chasing it around to pass the time.
    He's a disgrace.

The Labour party are voting to allow it.

Min wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to vote for the Labour party when they have no policies?
    I could say the same thing about all the parties.

Acutally would find hard pressed to vote for any party. I would vote FG if Enda wasn't leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

femur61 wrote: »
    Acutally would find hard pressed to vote for any party. I would vote FG if Enda wasn't leader.

The amount of people I've heard say this is unreal. Both traditional FG voters and fed up FF voters. They seem to be in a great position to get rid of FF, with so many sick of them, but seem determined to undermine their own chances.

Maybe FG don't want to get in anytime soon, the real battle between FG and FF is who gets lumped with having to introduce property taxes.

FG want it to be FF and FF want it to be FG but substantial numbers of both parties can not financially afford to lose their seat due to exposure to property.

The needs of the nation are the last thing on these guys minds.

catbear wrote: »
    Maybe FG don't want to get in anytime soon, the real battle between FG and FF is who gets lumped with having to introduce property taxes.

The needs of the nation are the last thing on these guys minds.

Actually, when you think about it you are probally right.

Advertisement