Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to the world cup , be careful what you wear !

• 18-06-2010 7:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

I am sure you have all seen the pictures of the rather attractive Dutch girls who got thrown out of the Netherlands V Denmark game , and indeed some were arrested, and prosecuted !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2010/06/fifa_cracks_down_on_beer_stunt.html

Now this was obviously a marketing ploy by the brewery involved , but in theory if I went to a WC game in a shirt showing a logo that wasn't official ,I suppose I could be thrown out ?

And prosecuted ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Now this was obviously a marketing ploy by the brewery involved , but in theory if I went to a WC game in a shirt showing a logo that wasn't official ,I suppose I could be thrown out ?And prosecuted ??

As an individual 99.99% unlikely. The Dutch women above was an obvious publicity stunt. Just wearing something that happens to have a logo on it is not the same as being in a commercial arrangement specifically to draw attention to the 'sponsor'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I am sure you have all seen the pictures of the rather attractive Dutch girls who got thrown out of the Netherlands V Denmark game , and indeed some were arrested, and prosecuted !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2010/06/fifa_cracks_down_on_beer_stunt.html

Now this was obviously a marketing ploy by the brewery involved , but in theory if I went to a WC game in a shirt showing a logo that wasn't official ,I suppose I could be thrown out ?

And prosecuted ??

I was at the third place play off in Germany at the last World Cup. Being a tool, I wanted to wear in a big St. Patrick's Day hat that looked like a pint of Guinness and had Guinness wrote across the front of it. The stewards made me take it off at the entrance and put it in a locker until after the match in case the camera's accidentally showed the Guinness logo as they weren't an official sponsor.

Doubt an individual would get prosecuted tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's ridiculous. I mean: who is getting harmed by this?

This just further highlights FIFA's greed and interest in money over football. Similar to the problems UEFA had in Sweden last year where they tried to shut down a fast-food place during the U-21's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I never bothered readign about this earlier in the week. How are we supposed to know they are marketing for beer?All I see is women in orange waving Coca Cola flags.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Is this the same Bavaria that I buy 6 for 7.25e several times a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Kold wrote: »
    Is this the same Bavaria that I buy 6 for 7.25e several times a week?

....and that's how advertising works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

....and that's how advertising works.

Nope, thats how pissing in a can, adding alcohol and sellign it cheap works :)

The only advertising they need for the people most likely to drink it is an A4 sign on top of a pallet of cans in the off licence sayign 6 for €7.25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

****, I'm getting old.

I remember when it was a euro a can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

It's ridiculous. I mean: who is getting harmed by this?

This just further highlights FIFA's greed and interest in money over football. Similar to the problems UEFA had in Sweden last year where they tried to shut down a fast-food place during the U-21's.

It's not a case of anyone getting harmed over it, it's a case of what they call "ambush marketing". You can't have that or there would be all kinds of marketing stunts everywhere.

Football has nothing to do with it, apart from the real fans' tickets these girls were taking up. I find it ironic how you talk about "FIFA's greed and interest in money", when this entire thing was done because of money. This was a case of money triumphing over football and FIFA had to put a stop to it.

They also detract from the advertising that FIFA has been paid for, you're saying the girls should be allowed to advertise for free for no reason??? If that were the case nobody would pay for ads again, what you're saying doesn't make sense.

It's FIFA's property, they can choose who to let in and not to let in. If a couple of people wanted to camp on your lawn and used the expression "we're not hurting anyone", would you be happy? Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

So if I was to enter a stadium in SA with an Irish Jersey with the Eircom/Opel Logo emblazoned across it, I could get turfed out, or have it removed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The gas thing is that Bavaria have got more publicity out of this as a result of FIFA kicking up a stink than they ever would have had if FIFA had done nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I was at the third place play off in Germany at the last World Cup. Being a tool, I wanted to wear in a big St. Patrick's Day hat that looked like a pint of Guinness and had Guinness wrote across the front of it. The stewards made me take it off at the entrance and put it in a locker until after the match in case the camera's accidentally showed the Guinness logo as they weren't an official sponsor.

Doubt an individual would get prosecuted tho...
    In this case, they definitely did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Wasnt it Robbie Earles tickets they had? And thats why he got turfed off the ITV Commentary team?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's FIFA's property, they can choose who to let in and not to let in. If a couple of people wanted to camp on your lawn and used the expression "we're not hurting anyone", would you be happy? Of course not.

If I had opened up my front lawn and sold these people tickets, I would not really have any ground to complain about a group of scantily-clad blonde girls cavorting about on my front lawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Well a single person wearing a t-shirt is definitely okay in my books. This was a totally different thing altogether. I would never tell a person they had to take a certain item of clothing off, except maybe their bra, jk. :p
    If I had opened up my front lawn and sold these people tickets, I would not really have any ground to complain about a group of scantily-clad blonde girls cavorting about on my front lawn.

You would really though, for example if it was a formal christian tea party, a children's party, or any type of party that required a bit less sexual expression. You have the right to throw anyone out, maybe you would have to refund them the price of the tickets. You can kick someone out of a club after they've paid admission if they are acting badly (and it doesn't have to be criminally), you can kick someone out of a restaurant if they're being extremely rude and loud and taking off their clothes etc. It depends what the rules and expectations are for the place you're going, at a soccer match you're expected to be there to watch soccer and you can't just do anything you want there.

Even in a public place, we the public are allowed to walk around, but we still have to obey a dress-code. We can't walk around nude, we can walk around nude in private property but not in public property or other people's property. More to the point, we can't set up advertising banners and advertise in public places everywhere we want to without paying. That's why you don't have Mars or Coca Cola setting up in the middle of Grafton Street or Patrick Street... they're not allowed. Thousands of people go through their daily, they would love to do that if they could, especially if they were the only big brand there.

I'm not sure whether this means that technically busking and fruit/clothes stalls are illegal, maybe they're overlooked or maybe there are special "exceptions" for them. But just because you are entitled to go into a place doesn't mean you can do as you like there. You can't get on a loudspeaker and talk about your convenience store or make political speeches, you can't harass people at clubs pushing a certain brand of drink on them, etc.

Advertisement