Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany - Serbia, 12:30pm, Port Elizabeth

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

How Serbia are winning this game is beyond me.

Even with the man advantage they have only been second best.

Some very poor finishing from the Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Australia - Ghana should be interesting, a win for the Aussies, all teams going into the final match on 3 points! Can't see them doing it without Cahill. Germany will be praying for a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

No wonder they call him captain fantastic. He must be so spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

redout wrote: »
    How Serbia are winning this game is beyond me.

Even with the man advantage they have only been second best.

Some very poor finishing from the Germans.

Podolski - 7 shots, 0 on target. Missed a penalty.

He shouldn't be near that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Australia - Ghana should be interesting, a win for the Aussies, all teams going into the final match on 3 points! Can't see them doing it without Cahill. Germany will be praying for a draw.

Australia to beat Ghana?!
    Never!
    <tempts fate>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

He's having an off day and been unlucky.
    Harldy means he shouldn't be in this squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Richardson is full of waffle, Serbia will look on this win with much satisfaction for historical reasons as much as the 3 points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

This german team are really going to dominate in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

How was that a free kick to serbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

What the hell ref?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

You dont have a clue to be honest.

His international record is something like 40 goals in 70 games.

Phenomenal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Poor form for his club but always turns it on for Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Ozil looked very tired.

The one stat I can't find for this World Cup is shots on / off target per player. Anyone?

The ref is a disgrace and should be on the next plane home. That free against Mertesacker there. His first half display ruined the game and he wasn't able to give crucial decisions in the 2nd half because of the bollocking he got at half-time. Where do they find these idiots. Honestly.

As for Podolski, don't get me started. Podolski does it for Germany and he should be in the team but his performance today was clearly way off. He was a liability today. His decision
    making, shots and the penalty have cost Germany this game today. I saw it in the 1st half and his manager should have seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

this ref is ****ing awful, should be kicked out of the wc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

oh FFS.

This Ref is ridiculous..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

That ref won't get another game in this world cup - worst I've ever seen and i've watched a lot of premiership football haha

Germany deserved to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Truly bizarre game that. Serbia are absolute poison.

Podolski's confidence is shot, bad bad peno miss and could be very costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ref ruined it. Serbia were very very lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Marin wasted so much possession in such a short space of time, I know he's only little but still, fairly poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Tom10 wrote: »
    How was that a free kick to serbia
    _Bella_ wrote: »
    What the hell ref?

He's a fcuking disgrace. I intentionally concentrated on him during that bit of action in the box, and as Mehrtesacker (sp?) was going to compete for it, he had already made up his mind he was awarding the free out. Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Overreact much? Granted, he had a poor game and should've been taken off. He never should've been let take that peno either. 39 goals in 74 games for Germany, including 6 in qualifying and 1 in the opening match means he's definitely worth his place in the squad.

We lost but this team showed quite some performance. Hats off to them. Disappointed but not with team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ref ruined that game. Group wide open now. Really interesting last set of fixtures too.

Serbias 2 wide players look real handy. I knew a good bit about Krasic anyway to know hes quality but ive been very impressed with Jovanovic, could be a real bargain for Pool.

For Germany Ozil looks a very tidy player and I think they have quality through their team. How many games is Klose banned for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

what a bad ref and from europe too. God are Serbia bad to watch

I agree on Podolski. He's great player for us but after the pen it was more than clear he had a hapless day. I'd say he just had more left in him than Ôzil who was clearly spent.

redout wrote: »
    You dont have a clue to be honest.

His international record is something like 40 goals in 70 games.

Phenomenal.

Yes I do, he's having a shocker. Simple. If they had someone else playing up front instead of him, they would possibly have had this game well wrapped up.

He's a decent strike rate for Germany (even though most are against poor opposition), but club form is awful.

Koln = 27 apps, 2 goals. Bayern = 72 apps, 15 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/18/serbia-hold-on-to-upset-germans/ Niall Farrell with the match report.

I think Germany have every right to feel aggrieved. Klose's sending off was harsh (some, incorrectly, would say it's a case of what goes around comes around RE Cahill's sending off). Germany were far better going forward but Serbia's solid backfour did the job in the end.

Serbia were worse to watch that Switzerland were against Spain. Germany are now pretty much going to have to beat Ghana to make sure of top spot. Ghana to beat Australia to make things interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Germany -England in the last 16?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Yes I do, he's having a shocker. Simple. If they had someone else playing up front instead of him, they would possibly have had this game well wrapped up.

He's a decent strike rate for Germany (even though most are against poor opposition), but club form is awful.

Klose has a good strike rate for Germany. Only had 3 goals in the Bundesliga in 25 apps.

Drop him too?

What u mean most are against poor opposition? They are against international opposition. Whoever you have to play. It's obviously not Argentina every week. But are you saying Germany picking SanMarino like teams for their friendlies or something? That's a ridiculous comment in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

If Ghana don't win this I'm going to pile into Germany.

Re: Klose sending off.

Its no-ones fault but his own. His first yellow was harsh, but knowing he was on a yellow to make that stupid tackle was idiocy of the highest order.

The second was a definite yellow, and because of that, a definite sending off.

He let his team mates down.

Its no-ones fault but his own. His first yellow was harsh, but knowing he was on a yellow to make that stupid tackle was idiocy of the highest order.

They were both not yellows. The ref was awful. There should have been three yellow cards in this game. There was not one bad foul, not one. But - what - nine cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

it was a joke of a sending off by a joke of a ref. See what you gunners dont seem to understand is football is a contact game despite what wenger will make you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Thats nonsense. It was a free no doubt but Kloses eyes were on the ball and it was not a cynical foul. Probably a warning for Klose but crazy to be giving a yellow for that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Iang87 wrote: »
    it was a joke of a sending off by a joke of a ref. See what you gunners dont seem to understand is football is a contact game despite what wenger will make you think
    Can't even hold off on the digs for four weeks, huh?

Great result for the group even if it wasn't deserved. Keeps things interesting.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Thats nonsense. It was a free no doubt but Kloses eyes were on the ball and it was not a cynical foul. Probably a warning for Klose but crazy to be giving a yellow for that.

He kicked him, from behind. He had NO hope of winning the ball from the position he was in. Definite yellow card.

And to me anyway, it definitely looked cynical. He just took the legs from under him.

Oh, and IanG87 - I assume that was aimed at me. I'm a Liverpool fan. My nick has NOTHING to do with football.

Dublin_Gunner is having a 'mare! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Second game now I have been impressed with Ozil, some of the passes he was playing were brilliant.

Podolski..... Stop lashing everything, tonnes of ability but he has horrible tunnel vision.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Dublin_Gunner is having a 'mare! :p

Oi!!! Get back to the Liverpool thread where you belong!!!

Very disappointed in Germany though I have to say. I expected a lot more after their first game, in which I though they were fantastic.

Put it down to a blip, I'll go for a win for Germany against Ghana next week, and then a tie between Germany, Serbia and Ghana for the top spot.

That would be interesting if all on 6 points... Ghana would be ahead of Serbia, because of head to head, but Serbia would be ahead of Germany, and if Germany beat Ghana, they would be ahead of them. How would they work that one out?? lol

Goals scored?

It could come down to yellow and red cards :eek:

How can anyone be disappointed with Germany? They stuck to their attacking play against a much stronger side. They were on the unfortunate end of some mad refereeing. They still turned the screw and played their hearts out. Fair enough finishing wasn't good enough especially Podolski had a bad day but only for that they would have won it still. For me they absolutely confirmed the positives and I'm as happy as one can be after a defeat.

Boskowski wrote: »
    How can anyone be disappointed with Germany? They stuck to their attacking play against a much stronger side. They were on the unfortunate end of some mad refereeing. They still turned the screw and played their hearts out. Fair enough finishing wasn't good enough especially Podolski had a bad day but only for that they would have won it still. For me they absolutely confirmed the positives and I'm as happy as one can be after a defeat.

I'm disappointed because they should have won that game handily, they had the chances. I'm also disappointed because when they were pressing, their defending was atrocious, and only for pi$$ poor passing by Serbia, it could have been a LOT more than 1-0.

I'm desperately disappointed for the Germans, they deserved at least a draw. The referee was disgraceful, Vidic should have been given a red card and Klose never should have been sent off. Hopefully this loss might be a good experience for the team and they can learn from it when they progress further. I'm hoping Ghana and Germany get out of this group. Hopefully Ghana trash Australia so the goal difference wont go against them. The Germans have a good goal difference, with all the chances missed I can't see Serbia winning by 3 against Australia

Savman wrote: »
    Truly bizarre game that. Serbia are absolute poison.

Podolski's confidence is shot, bad bad peno miss and could be very costly.

I couldn't fault Serbia. They celebrate what must feel to them like a hard fought for and therefore deserved win. Not their fault ref is going nuts.

I'm disappointed because they should have won that game handily, they had the chances. I'm also disappointed because when they were pressing, their defending was atrocious, and only for pi$$ poor passing by Serbia, it could have been a LOT more than 1-0.

Their defending was as good as it can be when with a man down already you're substituting fullbacks for center forwards and keep pressing up the park. They played sh1t or bust. You hardly gonna be rock solid at the back doing that.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I'm desperately disappointed for the Germans, they deserved at least a draw. The referee was disgraceful, Vidic should have been given a red card and Klose never should have been sent off. Hopefully this loss might be a good experience for the team and they can learn from it when they progress further. I'm hoping Ghana and Germany get out of this group. Hopefully Ghana trash Australia so the goal difference wont go against them. The Germans have a good goal difference, with all the chances missed I can't see Serbia winning by 3 against Australia

Vidic wasn't a red. Just the cards in general were laughable. Looking at the cards statistic you'd think they were murdering each other when really I don't remember a single truly bad foul.

Advertisement