Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cant connect to chat/party

• 18-06-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

bit of a weird problem lately - maybe someone can help out. Basically in the last few weeks, I get problems connecting to chat/party, but it only seems to happen if there is only 1 other person. So if there are 2 ppl in the party, I can connect - but if there is 1 then I cant??

Im on upc and have the ports open for a long time - the connection test on xbox live doesnt mention NAT at all - so I assume its open ? I have no problems connecting to games or anything and as I said if there is more than one person, I can connect no problem.

Anyone come across this or know a way to solve or even recreate/test the problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

voxpop wrote: »
    bit of a weird problem lately - maybe someone can help out. Basically in the last few weeks, I get problems connecting to chat/party, but it only seems to happen if there is only 1 other person. So if there are 2 ppl in the party, I can connect - but if there is 1 then I cant??

Im on upc and have the ports open for a long time - the connection test on xbox live doesnt mention NAT at all - so I assume its open ? I have no problems connecting to games or anything and as I said if there is more than one person, I can connect no problem.

Anyone come across this or know a way to solve or even recreate/test the problem

Hi
    Have you Modern warfare 2 by any chance. This will let you know if your nat is opened. It's mentioned in the multiplayer mode. After that your on your own but this will confirm if the problem is at your end or someone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Yeah I have MW2 - I'll give it a go - thanks

Its a weird problem - dont see why it wont work with 1 person but will work if there is more than 1 person. Anyone know how the chat/party system works, is there differences when more than 2 ppl are chatting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You dont need MW to check your NAT. As you rightly said above if you run the connection test and it says nothing your NAT is open. If it isnt then it comes back telling you its moderate or strict.

Is it the same group of people you are trying to connect with in the party each time this happens? What could be possible is that one of them has a moderate or strict NAT that is conflicting with yours even though yours is open. If its the same people all the time get them to check their NAT is open aswell.

Im not sure how many ppl it happens with - only really noticed it a few weeks ago. 2 of the lads can connect to each other and other ppl, but I have problems connecting to them - unless the 2 of them are online then all 3 of us can join into a party.

Is there settings I can change to open up my connection more - I've only opened the ports needed rather than everything- I did this a couple of years ago and everything was going swimmingly until recently. I suspect they have some strange NAT issues on their side - but they arent techy, so if I can do anything on my side it would be easier

Nope there are only 3 types of NAT - Open, Strict and Moderate and it comes up as being one of the 3.

From what you are saying I would say the issue is with one of their NATs. I would imagine you can connect to the party because you dont conflict with one of them. I have found before aswell that sometimes depending on what ISP you are with it can make a difference with the NAT issues. For example they both could be on Vodafone but one of them could have a moderate NAT and it will still let them connect, you come along and your on UPC and have an Open NAT but it wont let you in because you conflict with one of them. Best solution is just make sure everyone has and Open NAT.

• Advertisement

Yeah - I think one of them is on WiMax and cant change the router settings to get open NAT, i.e. there are no settings - but the other lad on vodafone can connect to him ok. Its seem like there is no solution then - pity that

Did a quick search on Google and found the following on a facebook link, it would seem your mate can contact them and get them to change it from Moderate to open. Get him to give them a call and things should get sorted.

"I was just at a mates house who got WiMax in, he has an xbox, and the NAT settings used by the WiMax router is moderate, which means it's nigh on impossible to get into any game of Modern Warfare 2, after a long drawn out tech support call where I finally got the password to change the settings on the router, I found no IP passthrough, port or NAT settings on it, so from what I can see he's stuck with his Moderate setting, if this is the case I'm staying well away."

imagine WiMAX Hi Gerry
    At the moment we don't provide direct access to make these changes but if you need any ports open our Tech Support can configure anything you need. Their phone number is 1890 929 008.
    Thanks"

Thats strange - cus the first thing he did was get on to them about xbox live access and they told him that no setting could be changed. I'll get him to give them a call again - cheers

Advertisement