Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not covered for new water cylinder?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Well, after paying home insurance for the last 17 years, I have been told that I am not covered for the replacement of a new water cylinder (€600) after my one burst, in fact I was told the NO plumbing costs are covered ! ....Just the water damage caused by the leak....has anyone else had this problem? Not sure what I should do?....any advise would help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Insurance generally doesn't cover the replacement of items which have failed through normal wear and tear - it only covers things which have been damaged as a result of some external incident.

I presume the insurance company are considering the burst tank to be "wear and tear". Check your home insurance documentation to see what it says in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lala6

Thanks for your prompt reply Seamus, that is what the ins co are saying, that it is wear and tear...I just wonder is that standard for all ins companies? Seems very unfair :( ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tony33

lala6 wrote: »
    Well, after paying home insurance for the last 17 years, I have been told that I am not covered for the replacement of a new water cylinder (€600) after my one burst, in fact I was told the NO plumbing costs are covered ! ....Just the water damage caused by the leak....has anyone else had this problem? Not sure what I should do?....any advise would help, thanks.

As a plumber myself i hear this all the time, insurance only covers the damage caused by the water and not the cylinder replacement. ive seen baths cracking burst pipes ect...
    when people ask if i do insurance work i usually dont as its not covered and i get stung for the bill.

i seen one guy, after i gave him this info, take out his garden hose and proceed to flood his living room, sofa , new wooden floors, laptop. a bit of a header.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lala6

Thanks Tony....even the plumber that's here at the mo knows of people who have been covered by the same thing so I'm well p*ssed off....ah well, I'l just have to enjoy my new carpet and consider changing ins co's !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Insurance is not there to cover maintenance. If the tank failed, because of wear and tear or because of a defect in the tank itself, it is of no financial value to begin with. It would be like claiming for a new carpet when the old one wears out.

Damage caused by the bursting is the insured item

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

lala6 wrote: »
    Thanks Tony....even the plumber that's here at the mo knows of people who have been covered by the same thing so I'm well p*ssed off....ah well, I'l just have to enjoy my new carpet and consider changing ins co's !

To be fair, your plumber is either misinformed or lying to you. There is not one insurance company in the country that will cover the replacement cylinder if the cause is wear and tear.

Advertisement