Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Dead Routers - what's happening ?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Does anyone know what might be causing me issues with the following:

We have vodafone broadband in a new build house. We were using the BT wireless router that we were supplied at the time of ordering (almost 10 months ago). I knock off the power to the router each night going to bed. On Tuesday night after turning on the router, the lights lit up and went out and nothing else happened. Turning it off / on resolved the issue. On Wednesday night the same thing happened, this time we're not so lucky with turning it off / on. Power goes to it but then dies.

I borrowed a wireless router from someone else, set it up and everything is back to normal. I rang Vodafone and they are going to send me out a new wireless modem. Last night when I went to turn on the wirless router (the borrowed one) no lights / no power nothing went to the router? I checked in different sockets but all have the same result.

Something seems to be frying the routers, strange thing is the power is off each night, only active connection is to the phoneline? Anyone have any ideas what might be happening ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Could be something your your power socket you are using??

Is it connected to an extension lead or straight into the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

When you shut them off, do you do it from the wall or just the back of the modem? If its just the modem then possible you are getting voltage spikes and you should use a surge protectors. You can also get spikes on phone lines and surge protectors for them, but unfortunately this would have a detrimental effect on your bandwidth and latency. Just a guess though, it also just be a coincidence, after all 2 occurrences ins't a trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheating? or in a hot place?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Its not overheating, its on a shelf in the sitting room - when i turn it off at night there's no bother on it, the next time I turn it on, it didnt work (times 2).

Its plugged directly into the wall and I switch it off at the wall, not at the modem.

I received a call from Vodafone, who are now holding off on sending the router, because there systems say there is a line fault and they have to get Eircom to investigate. From talking to some telecoms guys over the weekend, the confirmed aswell that there could be a spike through the phoneline that may have caused the issues.

I now have to wait for Eircom to fix the line and then they will send me out a new router.... :mad:

Advertisement