Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb power surge compensation?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Are the ESB liable for damage to appliances within the home due to power cuts, LCD went dead after power cut, I wrote to ESB network local office and was told that they are not under the their charter although I have seen reports that they are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the new Talk to ESB forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Wastewater,

I'm sorry to hear your appliances suffered damage due to power failures/surges. I'm not in a position to comment on the charter of ESB Networks, as this forum is for ESB Customer Supply only. I could offer you some general advice though. Have you tried emailing them, or visiting their website for further information?

From a safety point of view I would recommend you have surge protectors installed, to protect both yourself and any sensitive equipment you own. For general safety tips and advice, click here.

I hope this information has been of some help.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wastewater

I bought surge protectors yesterday, I emailed them and I await a reply

Hi Wastewater,

You're way ahead of me..! I hope you get a prompt reply and some satisfaction.

Has your house insurance provider been of any help?

I can claim less the excess, although i am loathed to claim on my insurance when I believe I know who should be liable.

• Advertisement

Hi wastewater,

I regret that I can't be of more assistance to you in this matter.

If you have any billing related queries/questions, I will be happy to help you out.

All the best,

David.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

What day did the surge happen??

last saturday evening, I am at the of a line with another house about 30 poles to the next, the whole village was out for about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

I know from previous experience that ESB Networks will accept responsibility for appliance damage caused by a power surge IF/WHERE it is clearly arising from some action taken by them (e.g. men working on the line and a surge is caused by some action of the workers).

If your situation is as a result of a natural fault then they will not compensate.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, a power cut on a saturday night sounds like a fault, just happened I had a voltage drop for about 5 mins, it tripped the rcd first and then the voltage dropped, lights brown, microwave washing machine etc not working properly, ok know, rang esb and they are installing a voltage logger

Hi Wastewater,

I'm glad to hear your query is being looked into.

For anyone else who might be browsing this thread, I was on the ESB Networks website this morning looking for related links, and I thought the following might be of some use:

- Charges, policies and procedures

- What to do if there is a power cut

- Voltage problems

And thanks, I.K. Brunel, for your post as well.

All the best,

David.

Advertisement