Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Off License???

• 18-06-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Where in your opinion is the best off license in Ireland?

Compared to the Off Licenses in the uk i can't think of any that reach their standards in Ireland. An Off License in the uk is full of wonderful locally brewed beers. They are a pleasure to walk around and browes through all the different varities! BTW i'm not talking about bargin booze.

I'm sick of the same brands in irish Off Licenses, apart from a few polish beers theres feck all varity.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Devenys dundrum for me cos I live near. great beer selection, always getting in new stuff, friendly staff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For atmosphere and service I think it's hard to beat Deveney's in Dundrum. For rarities and oddities, I love DrinkStore in Stoneybatter. And for sheer range, Redmond's of Ranelagh is tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Lilac Wines in Marino is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

+1 on DrinkStore and Redmond's. I've never been in Deveny's, I must drop in next time I'm around there.

Sweeney's in Glasnevin is worth a mention too - good selection of world & craft beers and a wide range of wines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    For atmosphere and service I think it's hard to beat Deveney's in Dundrum. For rarities and oddities, I love DrinkStore in Stoneybatter. And for sheer range, Redmond's of Ranelagh is tops.

Yep have to agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

The cheapest one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The Chain of Harvest offies in Galway city and Oranmore are not half bad and stock a decent selection of interesting whiskies and beers above and beyond any average offie or supermarket. The get the thumbs up from me.

For my own pashion, Whiskey, you really can't beat the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

devaney's in dundrum and drinkstore in stoneybatter for customer service and a great selection of beer too.....sweeney's in phibsboro is very good too, probably a bigger selection but staff generally werent as knowledgeable i feel, well from my experience anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

I'll have to head into sweeneys this weekend, it being my closest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Sonovagun wrote: »
    BTW i'm not talking about bargin booze.
    Even Bargin Booze is miles ahead of the majority of Irish Offys:rolleyes:! I've often nipped into the one in Holyhead for a selection of ales before a train trip to London.

Thanks to this forum I recently found Drinkstore on Manor Street, but for sheer atmosphere if not selection I'd have to go with Jack Carvill's on Camden Street.

• Advertisement

Where is manor street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Good selection in the wine centre, kilkenny. Its the only place around here that sells quality beers.

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Where is manor street?
    Stoneybatter. Most of the offies mentioned are on the map here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is sweeneys across from dalcassian downs? Must give it a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The Chain of Harvest offies in Galway city and Oranmore are not half bad and stock a decent selection of interesting whiskies and beers above and beyond any average offie or supermarket. The get the thumbs up from me.

+1 on harvest.

I haven't been in many offys with a good range or selection, but I think foleys in Sligo is worth a mention, carries a huge variety for a small shop and even have bottles of absinthe amongst other exotic spirits

just planed my day around Deveneys, Redmonds, Jack Carvills and The Drink Store, in search of acholic delights!

They better be worth it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

World Wide Wines in Waterford is worth a mention - good selection of beers and wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In Cork:
    Bradley's North Main Street - best spirits selection in Cork, good for beer and wine too.
    The Abbot's Ale House - Can be up and down but still the best beer selection in Cork.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Abbots had a nice big selection again last time I was there, went through a few months where it was a bit sparse but looks to be back.

In Waterford there is only 1 really good spot which is World Wide Wines - great selection of wines as you'd expect, a room full of single malt whiskeys, and a pretty excellent selection of Beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mayordenis wrote: »
    Abbots had a nice big selection again last time I was there, went through a few months where it was a bit sparse but looks to be back.

In Waterford there is only 1 really good spot which is World Wide Wines - great selection of wines as you'd expect, a room full of single malt whiskeys, and a pretty excellent selection of Beers.

Yup WWW have Dog Fish Head 90' and 60' IPA.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yup WWW have Dog Fish Head 90' and 60' IPA.

Aye I've been lucky thus far with my living arrangements family live about a 5 min walk from their, and I live above Bradleys in cork, and used to live beside abbots - I seem to be drawn to beer.

Took a bit of a road trip today. From Meath i went headed down the M50 to Dundrum. Found Deveneys easy enough. They didn't really have anything exciting. Got Some Crabbies Ginger Beer(which i was looking for) Spitfire and a bottle of River Horse Double Wit. The lady was lovely and informative!

Next i headed up to Ranelagh and into Redmonds. Much better selection of Beers. Got some more Crabbies, Kelpie seaweed ale, Broughton's The Ghillie, some Old Tom Ginger Beer and more besides. Once again the shop assistant couldn't have been more helpful.

So then i drove up through Camden st passed Jack Carvils, but sadly i couldn't get parking, so moved on through the city!

I finished up in Sweeneys on prospect rd. Not a great selection, didn't have anything the others already had. Picked up some banana bread beer, youngs double chocolate stout and some more spitfires! Didn't have much chit chat with shop ass.

That was my day. I decided to give the drink store on manor street a miss. I really enjoyed it. Sad i know but i have a interest now in tasting different unusual beers!

Only disappointment was i failed to find any Bagder ale brands that i was looking for. But not to worry, tWas a good day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

why did you decide not to bother with the drink store?

it would have only added 5 mins or so and after that day of driving :D

So would you say redmonds was the best you visited?

Redmonds was the best! But only just. I could have spent alot more money if i had it. I'm not out to get drunk, i'm just out to try different beverages!

Didn't go to the drink store cos of time and money restrictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

havent been in sweeneys in months...always felt they had the best selection, saddened to hear they have lost their way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you're in Dublin City center the Supervalue on the quays (southside) has an ok selection. It's not as good as others mentioned but is the only one I could find in the city center itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Kellys Off-Licence in Clontarf is your typical offo at the front part of it but go down the back and you'll find 3-4 fridges filled with beers you've never even heard of. I couldn't recognize any of the beers in there, a huge amount of Irish and British brewed stuff in fancy bottles and prices to match. Not sure about their selections of wine, more than enough of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

RMD wrote: »
    Kellys Off-Licence in Clontarf is your typical offo at the front part of it but go down the back and you'll find 3-4 fridges filled with beers you've never even heard of. I couldn't recognize any of the beers in there, a huge amount of Irish and British brewed stuff in fancy bottles and prices to match. Not sure about their selections of wine, more than enough of them though.

Interesting reading this, Kelly's is an offie near me and i dont rate it too highly, was in there sunday and they have no irish craft beers at all. I previously asked them and they said they tried selling galway hooker but there was no interest.

McHugh's On Kilbarrack Road has an incredible selection these days and always has good 4 for €10 or 5 for €10 on craft beers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Don't mean to be encouraging this zombie thread but does anyone know if Redmond's keep their beer in the fridge? Will be buying some beers later and need them cold.

Advertisement