Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - Anyone but England ?

• 18-06-2010 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Last night I was in a pub in the City Centre & the whole place was understandably thirilled (myself included) that France were beaten, I was also in the same pub last week when England played the USA, and the roof nearly lifted off when the USA scored against England :cool: :confused: :rolleyes: :mad: (seems like the hatred towards the England team remains) ???

Question: in the coming rounds of the World Cup will you still boo England in that time honoured Irish fashion? and will you cheer on 'Anyone but England'? I ask this in the context of the many England fans who were equally thrilled (on behalf of Ireland) that Henry/France were knocked out by Mexoco last night > Now I do understand that the traditional support by England fans (towards the Irish team) has not been recirpicated by the Irish, > But maybe its time to recipricate those good wishes towards the English Premiership players?

Will you cheer for England ?
    Will you still cheer for anyone but England ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Will you still cheer for anyone but England ?
    Yep (as long as they have guys like Gerrard, Rooney, Ashley Cole and Terry on the pitch anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'b be more inclined to cheer for them if they ever decided to play some attractive football. As it is it's pure muck, with their midfielders largely anonymous in games. The reason why I jumped off the couch last Sat night is largely down to their media circus and all the trash thats spoken. Oh and I also had a few bob on them not to win. :)

In general I don't have any hatred towards the team and its players, but they are the least inspiring shower out of all the major nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i laughed at this.

was chatting with the old man the other day, and he turns to me and goes...

"i was sitting watching the USA game, and i thought i didn't care who wins. i don't have any hatred for England, or i didn't think i did. England scored, and I didn't react, then when Rob Green, let the goal in, i jumped out of my seat and started punching the air.

It was then I realised, I want anyone to win by those 'English prima donna b*stards"

i then go....well, all teams have those sort of players, many modern footballers are 'prima donnas'

"i don't f*cking care. there probably are worse. it's just inside me. they must not win. i hate the f*cking French, but they can win before the English, by a long shot. i can't help it."

so yeah, i'm shocked at how many really don't want them to win, and will cheer anyone else. and how close to home some of them are.

frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Give it another 800 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

mike65 wrote: »
    Give it another 800 years...

For me it's not really about that. It's mainly that the England team seem to have a large chav element on it.

(I'd probably feel the same about many other national teams if I was able to identify there chav element as easily.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

bonerm wrote: »
    (I'd probably feel the same about many other national teams if I was able to identify there chav element as easily.)

Spain to be fair have two major Xav elements.

/sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Meh.

I'm sick of this argument its the same over here in Scotland.

Simple fact of the matter, why SHOULD I cheer England? I'm not English.

99% of club supporters HATE the team closest to them, their local rivals. Do Man Utd fans support City, or Liverpool in european competition? Do they hell.
    Yet because England is close to Ireland/Scotland geographically we are supposed to feel some sort of affiliation with them? If you dont you are some sort of horrible nasty IRA sympathiser who is stuck in the past.

I dont get the logic behind that in all honesty. Local rivalry is local rivalry.
    Do you think Spanish folk will be supporting Portugal?
    Or maybe everyone in Canada is right behind the US?
    I'm sure the Argentinian people will don their yellow jerseys when Brazil play!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

i 100% am anyone but engerland - like the posters owl lad above i dont know why, its a natural reaction against them but sure whats the big deal its only a game and we take sides in most sports...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I want England to do well. Why? Well, I have English cousins, the English have never done anything to me personally for me to hate them, I support an English team and I am most familiar with their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think we've had quite a few threads about this.... wasn't there one with a poll not so long ago?
    Eirebear wrote: »
    Do you think Spanish folk will be supporting Portugal?

These kind of sweeping generalisations are BS. I watched the Portugal game with Spanish people who were cheering on Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Im 100% For England. I support English football. I think there players are good... sometimes... But I have no hatred for them. And If spain don't win it I'd like to see England win it.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I think we've had quite a few threads about this.... wasn't there one with a poll not so long ago?

These sweeping generalisations are BS. I watched the Portugal game with Spanish people who were cheering on Portugal.

And i've watched games with irish people who have cheered on England...whats your point?
    I doubt the majority will be supporting them in either case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Anyone but France and England;)

I'm not Spanish yet I support them more then Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be watching all the England games with a load of England fans so will cheer for the opposition just to be a WUM.

Great fun to be had.

Your still missing my point here dude.

It seems to be the standard on this forum and many other outlets that if you dont cheer on England you are some sort of bad person.
    People can cheer on who they want, Spain is your decision and your entitlement.

However it seems that it is wrong to cheer on teams playing against England, why is that?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Well then you are a wierdo/gloryhunter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Meh.

I'm sick of this argument its the same over here in Scotland.

What irks me is the 'non-reciprication' by Irish supporters towards the English, who 'broadly speaking' who support us . . . I mean to say its not as if Irish players & English players are alien to each other, indeed there is a big overlap between those playing for England & Ireland. Blood lines are pretty thick too - take Rooney for example! and of course in the eyes of the English 'Ireland' is one of the 'Home Nations' > hence the support by them towards us.

It is refreshing to be in a packed English pub & to hear the massive support for Ireland, > Maybe we see it differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

im the only man in finglas with an algeria flag out the top window of his house :P :P and i am not joking

Can't get my head around why anyone in their right mind would support England. I know I have never met anyone with that mindset.

Just smacks of if people't give trying to prove they are above our history etc.

The pathetic thing about it is, if you ask many English football fans alot of them don't give a **** about the NT team because it is filled with so many *****.

Yet suddenly loads of Irish are backing them. Strange but not suprising. Just trying to prove you are above everyone ese.

• Advertisement

I hope they don't win it. SSN would go into meltdown for a year.

Anyway, I want Argentina to win it. I'd love to see Messi win the greatest prize, and to see Maradonna holding that trophy again would be something else.

The way England played in their 1st match they'll be lucky to get past the last 16 anyway.

DB10 wrote: »

The pathetic thing about it is, if you ask many English football fans alot of them don't give a **** about the NT team because it is filled with so many *****.

:confused:

Well then you are a wierdo/gloryhunter..

Glory hunter? You know spain only won like 2 major championship? And that was the Euros 08 and way back in '64. So somehow I'm being a glory hunter?

I like spanish football , absolutely love it. Been supporting Barca since I was kid.As I loved the way the played football I started watching spain and voilá.

And, just because somebodys from a country doesn't nessacarily mean that they should support it. Theres plenty of people who don't watch footy, and couldn't give a rats weather Ireland got in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

:rolleyes: satchel! get a grip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I don't want England to win either. It's all a bit too PC supporting them now. If they did win the whole thing I wouldn't be that bothered tbh but I won't be up for them in any games. It's just a sporting rivalry, nothing to get too worried about.

This came up on RTE last week, the panel were all very mature about supporting England until Souness was asked to wear a jersey if they won. Never gonna happen.

C'mon Algeria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Look, news for you (apparently). It's not just in Ireland. When it comes to football nobody likes England. Nobody likes the self-declared favourite bully egomaniac underachiever.

Can't get my head around why anyone in their right mind would support England. I know I have never met anyone with that mindset.

Yet suddenly loads of Irish are backing them. Strange but not suprising. Just trying to prove you are above everyone ese.

Your joking right? Above other people? It's idiotic that people even still hate England because of the past. I honestly couldn't give a fúck. If you support a English team, theres a high chance they have some England players on them.

So it doesn't bother you then, but as soon as that player throws on a England jersey its a hatred?

/sigh...

Camelot wrote: »
    What irks me is the 'non-reciprication' by Irish supporters towards the English, who 'broadly speaking' who support us . . . I mean to say its not as if Irish players & English players are alien to each other, indeed there is a big overlap between those playing for England & Ireland. Blood lines are pretty thick too - take Rooney for example! and of course in the eyes of the English 'Ireland' is one of the 'Home Nations' > hence the support by them towards us.

It is refreshing to be in a packed English pub & to hear the massive support for Ireland, > Maybe we see it differently?

To an extent yeah, and i suppose to a certain extent their is a little bit of "Wee Man Syndrome" about Ireland/Scotland/Wales when it comes to English football.

Then again, i know plenty of englishmen who despise not only the Irish National Team, but "Paddies" in general.

I think people look at it all a little bit too black and white. You either support them or you hate them.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Look, news for you (apparently). It's not just in Ireland. When it comes to football nobody likes England. Nobody likes the self-declared favourite bully egomaniac underachiever.

Is this based on fact or are you just going on by what you think?

• Advertisement

Btw, Aren't you an Arsenal fan?

. When it comes to football nobody likes England. .

I like England.

And, just because somebodys from a country doesn't nessacarily mean that they should support it. Theres plenty of people who don't watch footy, and couldn't give a rats weather Ireland got in or not.

It does really. International football is not like club football, you don't get to pick your side, you are born into it.

That is why the World Cup is different to other football. Comes around once every 4 years. Money doesn't result in winning the tournament. And everyone follows their own country.

No watching football and not caring about the Irish NT doesn't bare alot of relevance to me. That is fair enough but if you do watch football, then you should support your own country IMO.

"Following" other countries is a bit different.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Probably just bitter that Walcott didn't make it otherwise it'd be a totally different story. :pac:

Well I guess it's okay now anyway considering Ireland arn't in it :P

It does really. International football is not like club football, you don't get to pick your side, you are born into it.

That is why the World Cup is different to other football. Comes around once every 4 years. Money doesn't result in winning the tournament. And everyone follows their own country.

No watching football and not caring about the Irish NT doesn't bare alot of relevance to me. That is fair enough but if you do watch football, then you should support your own country IMO.

I support Ireland but it's not a crime to follow other teams and wish they do well.

Just a question. Were you happy about about France getting beaten last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That_Guy wrote: »

Fact

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yes. Here we go..."You support an English Club, support the English NT" BLA BLA BLA

Despite the fact Arsenal are ridiculed as a foreign team with no English players. Listen I'm all for wishing the AFC lads do well English or not, but I will not start supporting England because of it.

I support Arsenal because my father did, and that was because back then most of the top Irish players played for Arsenal like Brady,Stapleton, O'Leary, Quinn, Pat Rice, Jennings etc.

I know I will be mocked, but there is alot more than me that feel this way.

Fact

Link please.... Reliable link.

Well it's obvously an exaggeration and more personal perceiption rather than fact but I travelled a lot with the job and I watched a lot of football abroad in hotel bars etc. It's unbelievable how many people whereever cheer on whoever plays England. Seriously.

Well it's obvously an exaggeration and more personal perceiption rather than fact but I travelled a lot with the job and I watched a lot of football abroad in hotel bars etc. It's unbelievable how many people whereever cheer on whoever plays England. Seriously.

All your Irish work colleagues? ;)

• Advertisement

I support Ireland but it's not a crime to follow other teams and wish they do well.

Just a question. Were you happy about about France getting beaten last night?

I never said or implied it was? I hope Holland do well because I like their players and they never won the tournament.

Most of Ireland was happy I would say. For me I was only happy because I was rooting for the underdog Mexico and I feel they deserved it. They also showed more pride and really wanted it unlike the French.

I wouldn't start rooting against France because of what happened but I won't be unhappy to see them go out. Their attitude isn't endearing.

Anyway. Let's watch some footie instead. A real team (Germany) playing now...:D

It is certainly alot more than the small minority on this forum that is for sure. Maybe some people want to appear to be above that but in general their view is not the case.

Walk into any pub in Ireland and they will be dancing around when England concede.

I never said or implied it was? I hope Holland do well because I like their players and they never won the tournament.

Most of Ireland was happy I would say. For me I was only happy because I was rooting for the underdog Mexico and I feel they deserved it. They also showed more pride and really wanted it unlike the French.

I wouldn't start rooting against France because of what happened but I won't be unhappy to see them go out. Their attitude isn't endearing.

Agreed. They were rubbish yes but I'm sure there's a little part of you that wants to see Mexico do well now after last night's result. Even if it's a small feeling it's no different from me wanting England to do well.

Everyone's got their opinion on things and I'm not gonna sway you over to my way of thinking. I'm just trying to justify why I want England to do well but when you get posts like this
    It's not just in Ireland. When it comes to football nobody likes England

I just can't help but raise the issue.

I'm looking forward to the link which proves this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lad I was talking to gave the 'dislike the English team' excuse as his reason. I asked him who he was supporting. He replied with Italy.

How someone can call the England team dislikeable yet like the Italian team is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Link please.... Reliable link.

nah i aint got one. i know its not a fact but it is a general opinion (and not just with the irish)

saying it's "fact" is an exaggeration but saying it's just one person's opinion is a pretty big exaggeration too

nah i aint got one. i know its not a fact but it is a general opinion (and not just with the irish)

saying it's "fact" is an exaggeration but saying it's just one person's opinion is a pretty big exaggeration too

How can you say it's a general opinion when not everyone thinks like that? It might be a general opinion between you and your mates but you can't exactly tar everyone with the one brush.

Yes. Here we go..."You support an English Club, support the English NT" BLA BLA BLA

Despite the fact Arsenal are ridiculed as a foreign team with no English players. Listen I'm all for wishing the AFC lads do well English or not, but I will not start supporting England because of it.

I support Arsenal because my father did, and that was because back then most of the top Irish players played for Arsenal like Brady,Stapleton, O'Leary, Quinn, Pat Rice, Jennings etc.

I know I will be mocked, but there is alot more than me that feel this way.

http://www.officialfootballmerchandise.com/images/football/24flgarssg1.jpg

Walcott is English btw ;)

What does this mean btw? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't have anything against the English really, but for some reason like that old man SlickRic was talking about, you just kind of subconsiously feel like you want the other team to win. Also, I don't particularly like watching England play or want them to do well because I know what all their players are like, I prefer watching the world cup to get the chance to see teams and players you wouldn't normally get to watch play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I dont want to see England win anything in the same way being from Meath means I dont want to see Dublin win anything.......simples

• Advertisement
Advertisement