Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - Anyone but England ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

fryup wrote: »
    but how about all the time the IRA bombed england and you have celtic supporters among the irish ranks that chant oh ahh up the ra!!,

but yet still alot of english will shout for ireland.....shows you what a more open-minded race they are.

Remind me again when Glasgow Celtic became the Irish National team.?

As for the rest of the post, it is just pure and utter nonsense that has no place on here. If we want to generalise nationalites, then open minded is not something you would associate with the English.

Bald bulldog tatooed thugs would be more on the line.

Camelot wrote: »
    Landsdown Road :rolleyes: that disgrace was quite a few years ago (combat 18).

Yes and it will never be forgotten just like the Irish history.

Deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

mcwhirter wrote: »
    True, not many people would have access to rte or has much access to irish papers in england.

The answer is don't watch the bbc or itv world cup footage or read the english papers then you will be ok:D
    Yeah but it comes up all over the place, 8 out of ten cats had a world cup special last week that was almost entirely about England in '66 and '86.

I work saturdays so I usually watch Match of the Day as well. F*ckin Linekar talks through his hoop about the brilliance of everything English every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

DeVore wrote: »
    England set themselves up to be somehow superior and more deserving of victory. If they had some humility I might support them, but the reason I don't is not because they are English, its because they are arrogant and have an extreme sense of entitlement.

As the Japanese say: A standing nail is hammered down.

DeV.

Ever read the mutterings of most Italian, Argentinian or German fans on football forums? They are not alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Livvie wrote: »
    Are you Irish-American? Because tbh, I find IAs totally different from the Irish, and those I've met have a deep-rooted loathing for England which they tend to bring with them.

I've got several American friends who have loved their visits here.

Naw, I'm all Irish, I;ve a ton of English relations but other than them I didn't feel welcome in most the places I've been in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

DB10 wrote: »

You've seen me then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Padraig Pearse didn't die face down in the dirt so that we could turn around and support England in the World Cup.

Naw, I'm all Irish, I;ve a ton of English relations but other than them I didn't feel welcome in most the places I've been in

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Let me know if you come again and we'll try to change it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't want them to win.. if they do then James Corden and that Dizzy fella might write another song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Remind me again when Glasgow Celtic became the Irish National team.?

well their supporters have truly infiltrated amongst the ranks of the irish fanbase
    As for the rest of the post, it is just pure and utter nonsense that has no place on here. If we want to generalise nationalites, then open minded is not something you would associate with the English.

now that is stereotyping:rolleyes:

haven't seen many knuckle draggers in SA so far

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Padraig Pearse didn't die face down in the dirt so that we could turn around and support England in the World Cup.

Not at the time.

But surely it's time to move on? By all means, don't support England because they're crap. Or because you prefer to support another team. But please don't condemn us for all time because of a shameful history.

That was my head speaking. My heart understands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In a way, the abject minnowism involved with the ABE brigade - and the endless discursive obsession about England - show that some of us are still mentally colonised by them to some extent.

As for the idea that the Brits are somehow more triumphalist and partisan than other countries: try South America, Spain, Italy etc. Why do you expect strict impartiality on English television from English pundits who themselves played for their country yet there are pages and pages of adulation (or wankfest to be honest) here about the partiality of our own pundits.

The problem to a great extent is that most people here are avid consumers of an English media that they then paradoxically profess to hate whenever an international tournament comes around.

Not at the time.

But surely it's time to move on? By all means, don't support England because they're crap. Or because you prefer to support another team. But please don't condemn us for all time because of a shameful history.

That was my head speaking. My heart understands.

Aww, i feel bad now. I was being tongue in cheek because i see a lot of people say "it's time to get over it" but i don't see any stupid comments like the one i just made that would suggest we need to get over it.

I don't support England because i don't like the players and the media annoys the life out of me and if England were to win the world cup it would be insufferable.

Granted, i'm sure the media in other countries are just as sickening but we don't have as much access to them as we do the English media.

Bless you.

Granted, i'm sure the media in other countries are just as sickening but we don't have as much access to them as we do the English media.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Don't watch brit Tv, or read brit newspapers.:)

Stovelid i feel like you are trying to browbeat people into supporting England. If it's mostly good natured, what's your beef?

SIMPLE SOLUTION: Don't watch brit Tv, or read brit newspapers.:)

Like i'm going to start to watching RTÉ. Those bastards are just as bad.

Aww, i feel bad now.

Don't. :) x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

well their supporters have truly infiltrated amongst the ranks of the irish fanbase
    r

What are you trying to say? The Irish fan base is made up of fans of loads of different clubs and none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I actually dont mind half the english players and would have no problem gerrard lifting it. Its the media ramming it down our throat and out our hoop for the next 60 years that i dont want them winning for.

I'd much rather see the english winning it than see Cristiano Ronaldo lift it

• Advertisement

well biggest gripe about the england football team is............."the Beckham factor"......why is that twat over there?? to sell the 2018 bid??

you nearly think he was on the coaching staff the way he sits there on the bench mr self-importance rrrgghh!!

I've got an Irish flag that I was going to hang out of my window next to the St. George one.

Then I thought that the people passing won't see it as a protest against the French - they'd just think I was stupid and believed Ireland were playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've got an Irish flag that I was going to hang out of my window next to the St. George one.

Which is precisely what I did when both countries played in the Seoul World Cup ,hung out both flags side by side

now that is stereotyping:rolleyes:

haven't seen many knuckle draggers in SA so far

Just giving the stereotypical view of the English.

You want to generalise nationalities stupidly, then we all can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

The english people for the most part are fine. Many of my colleagues are English and really are top, top people! With that said, any irish person that is supporting them is an oddball.

Imagine watching an england match in a bar in England - I actually couldn't think of anything worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭briany

I caught last week's edition of Hearts and Minds on BBC NI and wouldn't you know it they had a unionist politician and a nationalist one debating the thorny issue of supporting the English team. The unionist said that we should all support them, especially as they are the only nation there from "these islands", as he put it. He also went on to say how great it would be if England won it on the 11th, followed by the 12th. The nationalist said that being against England is just an ingrained part of the nationalist culture, part of what being Irish is as he put it. I found neither viewpoint very endearing.

But I can't help it. It is a guilty pleasure watching the English team implode as they always seem to do when they seem so assured of their chances the beginning of the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've never had a problem with the English in England, and I've been there six or seven times. I've even been complimented on knowing all the United songs from some scummer in a pub before a game, he was sound but you could tell there was a 'side' to him.

Only a small problem with the English in Tenerife, just being drunk fools acting the hardmen. They were hamrless so I just stared at them for a few seconds and walked on to meet some people, they followed me for a bit but when they saw I was meeting people and wasn't on my own they turned around.:rolleyes:
    The pub we go into in Lanzarote is owned by an ex Chelsea hooligan, he's a typical Landan 'awrd mayn, but we have the pure craic with him and it does be full of tough Irish, English, Scots and Welsh types, no bother. Even a few Germans, but don't mention the war.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would cheer on anyone playing England as England are just ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Why?

Because of crap like this:

DhS80.jpg

Fans are just the same.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Why?

DhS80.jpg

Fans are just the same.

Agree with everything but the last line. That's generalising, and unfair because I'm totally embarrassed by that kind of stuff, and I'm not unique, much as I like to think I am. :)

Actually to clarify that, there are a core of English morons who give the rest of us a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why?

DhS80.jpg

Fans are just the same.

Did you see the stuff in the Irish tabloids this morning? Equally embarrassing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There was an interesting article two weeks ago on this very topic in the sports section of the Sunday Independent (my parents buy it not me i swear!). I think it was a piece by Dion Fanning or Tommy Conlon. It summarised that England suffer from ''big parish syndrome''. That basically England could be likened to a big parish with greater numbers and resources, that is surrounded by smaller parishes (Ireland, Scotland, Wales). Now the little parish will never shout for its bigger more successful neighbour. Would a Sligo man want Mayo to win? Unlikely. You wont see a Na Piarsaigh supporter going cock-a-hoop at a Blackrock victory. You'd hardly expect a Young Munster fan to cheer on Shannon in an AIL final. Likewise in England you wouldn't see a Tranmere fan shouting themselves hoarse for Liverpool. Its nothing to do with ''ethnic hatred'' or 800 years of oppression. Its simply that we never like to see our bigger more illustrious neighbours do well. And its universal in every sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

No, I certainly won't be supporting England.

Would the English support the Germans?

Last night I was in a pub in the City Centre & the whole place was understandably thirilled (myself included) that France were beaten, I was also in the same pub last week when England played the USA, and the roof nearly lifted off when the USA scored against England :cool: :confused: :rolleyes: :mad: (seems like the hatred towards the England team remains) ???

Question: in the coming rounds of the World Cup will you still boo England in that time honoured Irish fashion? and will you cheer on 'Anyone but England'? I ask this in the context of the many England fans who were equally thrilled (on behalf of Ireland) that Henry/France were knocked out by Mexoco last night > Now I do understand that the traditional support by England fans (towards the Irish team) has not been recirpicated by the Irish, > But maybe its time to recipricate those good wishes towards the English Premiership players?

Will you cheer for England ?
    Will you still cheer for anyone but England ?

The English have always hated the French, so it's not surprising that they revelled in the anti-French sentiment over the whole handball controversy. The English weren't really 'supporting us'; rather they enjoy seeing the French lose. Some of the anti-French tripe in the English media is downright racist and rather embarrassing.

What irks me is the 'non-reciprication' by Irish supporters towards the English, who 'broadly speaking' who support us . . . I mean to say its not as if Irish players & English players are alien to each other, indeed there is a big overlap between those playing for England & Ireland. Blood lines are pretty thick too - take Rooney for example! and of course in the eyes of the English 'Ireland' is one of the 'Home Nations' > hence the support by them towards us.

It is refreshing to be in a packed English pub & to hear the massive support for Ireland, > Maybe we see it differently?
    Landsdown Road :rolleyes: that disgrace was quite a few years ago (combat 18).

Support for England has slowly ebbed away since 1966, when I am relyably informed there were parties up & down the country when England held up the World Cup. That said, support for England has seriously declined since the Republic put together a team (Italia 90) made-up from many players born & based in England - Ironic or what

Typical English arrogance....

"Home nations?"..... :pac:

Oh, and it's good thing that England have never had any foreign-born players in their team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

England dont bother me, i have no beef with them. What i do find pathetic from most of the people who cheer against England is that they are obsessed with England, who they pick, who they are drawn against and how their media covers their team.

There is only a one sided rivalry between Ireland and England. England as a footballing country dont even know Ireland exist. Maybe thats the reason people dont like them because they just want to be noticed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Eirebear wrote: »
    Meh.

I'm sick of this argument its the same over here in Scotland.

Simple fact of the matter, why SHOULD I cheer England? I'm not English.

99% of club supporters HATE the team closest to them, their local rivals. Do Man Utd fans support City, or Liverpool in european competition? Do they hell.
    Yet because England is close to Ireland/Scotland geographically we are supposed to feel some sort of affiliation with them? If you dont you are some sort of horrible nasty IRA sympathiser who is stuck in the past.

I dont get the logic behind that in all honesty. Local rivalry is local rivalry.
    Do you think Spanish folk will be supporting Portugal?
    Or maybe everyone in Canada is right behind the US?
    I'm sure the Argentinian people will don their yellow jerseys when Brazil play!

+1

Just cause you dont support england and would actually like to seem them lose doesnt make you some IRA paddy who hates all things british.
    Its football and rivalry.
    Do the Germans like Holland?
    Do the Italians like Spain?
    Do Spain like Portugal?
    Do Brazil like Argentina?
    Do Australia like New Zealand?

Hanging out with plenty of nationalities here in Sydney and each of them have all their own pet hate countries that they would like to see lose. As I said its football, dont take it personally.

No, I certainly won't be supporting England.

Would the English support the Germans?

The English have always hated the French, so it's not surprising that they revelled in the anti-French sentiment over the whole handball controversy. The English weren't really 'supporting us'; rather they enjoy seeing the French lose. Some of the anti-French tripe in the English media is downright racist and rather embarrassing.

Typical English arrogance....

"Home nations?"..... :pac:

Oh, and it's good thing that England have never had any foreign-born players in their team!

Too many generalisations there.

The English and the French generally don't like each other - it's not actually fair to say that the English hate the French and leave it at that, because the perception here is that they hate us, so our reaction to them is based on that - but probably theirs is too.

I don't hate any nation, so I hate hearing "The English this, and the English that."

And many English people support Ireland whoever they're playing because most of us have an affection for all of our neighbours, that isn't returned, and probably hasn't been earned anyway, but your average English person has no beef with the Irish or the French, or anyone else.

A lot of perceptions on all nationalities is created by the media who are frequently an embarrassment to us all.

And isn't there a certain irony in hearing about England being racist, from someone who says "typical English..." Isn't that racist?

Say that the media are racist by all means but to declare that the English "hate the French" is a generalisation and quite offensive.

If I came on here and said "The Irish hate the English" is that acceptable, even if it's correct?

God knows, I do know that there are English who disgrace the rest of us. I don't particularly welcome being associated with them.

Where are all our resident England fans now??

Suddenly all quiet...no suprise though.

Irish English fans, or English English?

Irish English fans, or English English?

Irish-English...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Still here! > just posting over on the England V Slovenia thread :)

I think this thread bores out my perceptions re Irish attitudes towards supporting the England football team. What started this whole thing off was my shock after coming back from England, having spent many years there in a very Ireland football & Rugby friendly atmosphere (live matches in pubs), with Ireland you could relax & cheer along with everyone else for Ireland, > then I came back to Ireland and went to watch the 2003 Rugby World cup in a few Dublin pubs, dear oh dear > "anyone but England" was still alive and well . . . . .

Even just the other night, we were in a Pub in Ballsbridge, and the chant from all around us was 'Come on Algeria', and yes there were ManU/ Chelsea/ Liverpool shirt wearing supporters there too (cheering 4 Algeria)! which makes the mindset all the more confusing :mad: :cool: :confused:

P.S. England were total rubbish the other night, but I still wouldn't cheer on 'Algeria' against them.

I think this thread bores out my perceptions re Irish attitudes towards supporting the England football team. What started this whole thing off was my shock after coming back from England, having spent many years there in a very Ireland football & Rugby friendly atmosphere (live matches in pubs), with Ireland you could relax & cheer along with everyone else for Ireland (why would anyone not 4 cheer Ireland)? > then I came back to Ireland and went to watch the 2003 Rugby World cup in a few Dublin pubs, dear oh dear > "anyone but England" was still alive and well . . . . .

Even just the other night, we were in a Pub in Ballsbridge, and the chant from all was 'Come on Algeria', and yes there were ManU/Chelsea shirt wearing supporters there too (cheering 4 Algeria)! :mad: :cool: :confused:

In all fairness is it any surprise with the Irish-English history in football and off the field.

You may not agree with it at all, but I find it hard to believe this would surprise you in anyway..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

After living in England for many years, I had totally forgotten that the support was not recipricated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

jank wrote: »
    Do the Germans like Holland?

We don't mind them too much. It's more the other way around really.

I think this thread bores out my perceptions re Irish attitudes towards supporting the England football team. What started this whole thing off was my shock after coming back from England, having spent many years there in a very Ireland football & Rugby friendly atmosphere (live matches in pubs), with Ireland you could relax & cheer along with everyone else for Ireland, > then I came back to Ireland and went to watch the 2003 Rugby World cup in a few Dublin pubs, dear oh dear > "anyone but England" was still alive and well . . . . .

Even just the other night, we were in a Pub in Ballsbridge, and the chant from all around us was 'Come on Algeria', and yes there were ManU/ Chelsea/ Liverpool shirt wearing supporters there too (cheering 4 Algeria)! which makes the mindset all the more confusing :mad: :cool: :confused:

P.S. England were total rubbish the other night, but I still wouldn't cheer on 'Algeria' against them.

Sorry but I think this deserves a picture.
    crybaby.jpg

Boskowski wrote: »
    We don't mind them too much. It's more the other way around really.

Really?
    I was in Germany for the 2006 world cup and the Germans were delighted that the Dutch lost. Loads of skits on TV, Ads etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why?

DhS80.jpg

Fans are just the same.

"Hurrrrr Durrrrr The Sun is an accurate representation of the English people."

Kold wrote: »
    "Hurrrrr Durrrrr The Sun is an accurate representation of the English people."

It is the best selling newspaper in the UK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sorry, just been watching France beating Ireland again. I can never get bored of seeing Ireland lose and all the crying, demonstrating and the Irish FA begging FIFA to give them a special place in the world cup just made it all the sweeter.

anyway, what can I do for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it has bare bewbs on page three. no one actually reeds the bloody thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Knuckle draggers don't know how to internet news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

argosy2006 wrote: »
    if usa beat algeria and england beat slovenia then who goes through ? usa and solvenia? usa second in group at moment,
    plus in spains group, if spain beat chile but switzerland beat honduras,then all have 6 points, who goes though, chile and switzerland?

If Spain/England win they are through.

Advertisement