Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - Anyone but England ?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

my understanding is that if everything is all square between two teams (and I mean, ALL square) then the team who won the match between the two teams when they played, proceeds.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Sorry, just been watching France beating Ireland again. I can never get bored of seeing Ireland lose and all the crying, demonstrating and the Irish FA begging FIFA to give them a special place in the world cup just made it all the sweeter.

anyway, what can I do for you?

Your anti-Irishness is getting the better of you Fred. Maby you could go cheer on England somewhere else?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Sorry, just been watching France beating Ireland again. I can never get bored of seeing Ireland lose and all the crying, demonstrating and the Irish FA begging FIFA to give them a special place in the world cup just made it all the sweeter.

anyway, what can I do for you?

I never get bored of watching the above in the regular English crash and burn at every major tournament.

Still crying over Maradona.....the winking Ronaldo....Simeone...

England are just a bunch overrated, arrogant prima donnas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Your anti-Irishness is getting the better of you Fred. Many you could go cheer on England somewhere else?
    DB10 wrote: »
    I never get bored of watching the above in the regular English crash and burn at every major tournament.

Exactly the responses I was expecting.

It is perfectly acceptable to follow the ABE approach, what with being a good patriot and all that, but god forbid anyone should take the same attitude with Ireland. :rolleyes:

Not nice is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It is perfectly acceptable to follow the ABE approach, what with being a good patriot and all that, but god forbid anyone should take the same attitude with Ireland. :rolleyes:

Not nice is it?

I think most people dont give a $hit about what you think or say in fairness FF.
    England are living up to expectations as per usual in this world cup and have been for more than 40 years. If you get your kicks about winding up a few Irish soccer fans on de interweb than it shows more about your own attitude towards English football than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not nice is it?

Touché Mr. Fratton.

jank wrote: »
    I think most people dont give a $hit about what you think or say in fairness FF.
    England are living up to expectations as per usual in this world cup and have been for more than 40 years. If you get your kicks about winding up a few Irish soccer fans on de interweb than it shows more about your own attitude towards English football than anything else.

some obviously do.

DeVore wrote: »
    my understanding is that if everything is all square between two teams (and I mean, ALL square) then the team who won the match between the two teams when they played, proceeds.

DeV.

The likely scenario is that it will be between England and the US, so it goes on goal difference and goals scored as well.

As there is a good chance that will be all square, i think it then goes to the toss of a coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Another anti-Irish west-brit troll

Well I did start this thread precisely because of all the Anti-English bashing, and for your information I am certainly not Anti Irish, but as I have already stated in previous posts, why constantly bash the England team (in every tournament) when they always support Ireland?

I wish the ROI team was there, then I'd have two teams to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Camelot wrote: »
    At least England made it to the World Cup, unlike the England 'B' team ;)

How come the universe didn't implode in 94 when only the "B team" qualified while Gazza, Shearer, Ince and co were left sitting on there arses at home? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How come the universe didn't implode in 94 when only the "B team" qualified while Gazza, Shearer, Ince and co were left sitting on there arses at home? :confused:

Yes, I was supporting Ireland in 94 while the likes of Gazza were on their arses, but who will you be supporting tomorrow afternoon?

England or Slovenia?

Could it be because the English just got behind the Irish team instead?

Hey, it's the 16th anniversary of beating Italy, doesn't that merit a souvenir DVD or something? RTE haven't released one of those for nearly 12 months now;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

bohsman wrote: »
    If Spain/England win they are through.
    how come, if swiss win last game they have 6pts, so will spainif they win, but swiss beat spain , so swiss go through , leasts its what i thought would happen,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Yes, I was supporting Ireland in 94 while the likes of Gazza were on their arses, but who will you be supporting tomorrow afternoon? England or Slovenia?

Me, I'll probably be supporting Wayne Rooney and Slovenia! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

People need to get a life. All the anti-French and anti-English sentiment is pathetic and makes us look like bitter, twisted fools. Irish begrudgery at its worst.

As a man united fan I want to see Rooney with the golden boot and crowned the greatest player in the world, a title which is within his potential. It's just a pity capello and his fellow countrymen don't know how to use him properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

argosy2006 wrote: »
    how come, if swiss win last game they have 6pts, so will spainif they win, but swiss beat spain , so swiss go through , leasts its what i thought would happen,

Goal difference. Spain will have a better goal dif than Chile and go through ahead of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

England or Slovenia?

I am going for a draw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyone but England? Well there not gonna get many new fans over here by the dreadful football there serving up at the moment, and the general dislike that most of the Irish have towards England pales into significance compared to the abuse that their own fans and media are giving their team.
    All the people that are calling the Irish narrow-minded should take a step back and look at the abuse they are giving their own team, just ask Wayne what he thinks of England fans.

patmac wrote: »
    Anyone but England? Well there not gonna get many new fans over here by the dreadful football there serving up at the moment, and the general dislike that most of the Irish have towards England pales into significance compared to the abuse that their own fans and media are giving their team.
    All the people that are calling the Irish narrow-minded should take a step back and look at the abuse they are giving their own team, just ask Wayne what he thinks of England fans.
    I don't think their own fans are reveling in their own teams demise. It's a show of discontent from the English fans as opposed as a smug, bitter begrudgery from the Irish usually snortled in the same phrase as "800 years of opression".

I find it quite embarrassing. And although I in no way support the English football team as I am not English, but I do have an interest in seeing their star player shine. So I'd consider myself slightly on the English side of neutral. But having said that I would not care if they were knocked out tomorrow so long as Rooney gets back in form for united But I can't help feel a disastrous world cup for Rooney will lead into a poor season for united.

20goto10 wrote: »

As a man united fan I want to see Rooney with the golden boot and crowned the greatest player in the world, a title which is within his potential. It's just a pity capello and his fellow countrymen don't know how to use him properly.

Haha. It wasn't Capello or anyone else, who played disgracefully against Algeria. He won't be winning the golden boot and he is not the best player in the world.

He may be the best English player but that isn't saying an awful lot on the world stage.

• Advertisement

Haha. It wasn't Capello or anyone else, who played disgracefully against Algeria. He won't be winning the golden boot and he is not the best player in the world.

He may be the best English player but that isn't saying an awful lot on the world stage.
    Rooney relies on balls being fed to him. That's the role he plays best. Of course he had a disastrous game too, no doubts about that. And he's certainly not showing any star qualities. But what I said was I would like him to be the best :-) he has the potential imo.

Rooney relies on balls being fed to him. That's the role he plays best. Of course he had a disastrous game too, no doubts about that. And he's certainly not showing any star qualities. But what I said was I would like him to be the best :-) he has the potential imo.

I agree he has that potential, he showed a step up last season. I don't expect him to win England the WC or anything though.

Mind you he was amazing at Euro 2004. But that was 6 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

20goto10 wrote:
    I don't think their own fans are reveling in their own teams demise. It's a show of discontent from the English fans as opposed as a smug, bitter begrudgery from the Irish usually snortled in the same phrase as "800 years of opression".

I find it quite embarrassing. And although I in no way support the English football team as I am not English, but I do have an interest in seeing their star player shine. So I'd consider myself slightly on the English side of neutral. But having said that I would not care if they were knocked out tomorrow so long as Rooney gets back in form for united But I can't help feel a disastrous world cup for Rooney will lead into a poor season for united.

Dear oh dear. So to sum up your views, Irish fans who want England to lose = bitter begrudgers who are upset over 800 years of oppression. What about England fans who want Germany to lose? Are they bitter about two world wars? What about wanting Argentina to lose? Are they bitter about the Falklands War?

I'm surprised at a United fan so upset about people wanting England to lose. Do you think the majority of United fans want England to do well? Do you remember the chant United fans would sing at Old Trafford about Ronaldo when he was there? The Argentina chants?

Honestly I'm getting sick and tired of people on this board who just don't get it and accuse you of being akin to a Provo just because you want to see England lose!

Dear oh dear. So to sum up your views, Irish fans who want England to lose = bitter begrudgers who are upset over 800 years of oppression. What about England fans who want Germany to lose? Are they bitter about two world wars? What about wanting Argentina to lose? Are they bitter about the Falklands War?

I'm surprised at a United fan so upset about people wanting England to lose. Do you think the majority of United fans want England to do well? Do you remember the chant United fans would sing at Old Trafford about Ronaldo when he was there? The Argentina chants?

Honestly I'm getting sick and tired of people on this board who just don't get it and accuse you of being akin to a Provo just because you want to see England lose!

I dont see it that way. i see it more akin to Irish people who support Man United or Chelsea over their local side, refer to united as "We" despite never actually setting foot in Manchester, let alone Old Trafford and think they have a god given right to win everything.

It's called having a lack of cajones and actually getting behind a team and pinning your colours to the mast. much easier to go for the soft option and, in the case of the world cup, hating England is the soft option because eventually you are going to get a chance to cheer.

I can understand people being completely indifferent, but I swear there are people on here who will be walking around with a boner if England don't win tomorrow. In England we call them sneers, Not sure what the term is in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

The team might be, and need a reality check.

But I know plenty of supporters who really admire Argentina and enjoy watching them play.

Most of the higher profile players are prima donnas - a bit of success and they think they're indispensable. It's not just the England team. The French have had a massive dummy spit.

There's a lot of pleasure to be had watching "lesser" teams because they seem to actually enjoy playing football for the sport and not the glory.

And I grew up supporting Ireland if England weren't playing - and Scotland, or Wales. I was so naive - I thought we were all friends. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Livvie wrote: »

And I grew up supporting Ireland if England weren't playing - and Scotland, or Wales. I was so naive - I thought we were all friends. ;)

Well there's no sense in trying to generalize everybodies outlooks. Some people will support England when they're playing.. others won't, and the same goes for Irish support in England

I dont see it that way. i see it more akin to Irish people who support Man United or Chelsea over their local side, refer to united as "We" despite never actually setting foot in Manchester, let alone Old Trafford and think they have a god given right to win everything.

It's called having a lack of cajones and actually getting behind a team and pinning your colours to the mast. much easier to go for the soft option and, in the case of the world cup, hating England is the soft option because eventually you are going to get a chance to cheer.

I can understand people being completely indifferent, but I swear there are people on here who will be walking around with a boner if England don't win tomorrow. In England we call them sneers, Not sure what the term is in Ireland.

I've heard the expression "I'm not English I'm Scouse", and I know United fans don't give a toss about England so it's a bit much to moan when other country's United and Liverpool fans feel the same way. The 'local side' argument is a separate issue. If English scouts stopped poaching the best Irish players perhaps we'd be more inclined to support our local sides. I don't know if you'd be as interested in your league if most of your best players were plying their trade in France.

Lack of cajones is a bit laughable when the English seem to have more sporting enemies than anyone. Germany, Scotland, Argentina, Australia, America (new one this year). Have I left any out? Turkey might be another one? England seem to be the biggest 'sneers' in the game in that case.

Honestly the idea of Irish people or any people showing support to a team with such an appaling media, that seeks to belittle smaller nations and destroy its managers when things don't got their way, I find extraordinary. As I've said before if the England team worked on its reputation it might garner better goodwill but I don't think most fans care what others think so it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Well there's no sense in trying to generalize everybodies outlooks. Some people will support England when they're playing.. others won't, and the same goes for Irish support in England

I know that now. Not when I was ten though. :)

I've heard the expression "I'm not English I'm Scouse", and I know United fans don't give a toss about England so it's a bit much to moan when other country's United and Liverpool fans feel the same way. The 'local side' argument is a separate issue. If English scouts stopped poaching the best Irish players perhaps we'd be more inclined to support our local sides. I don't know if you'd be as interested in your league if most of your best players were plying their trade in France.

Lack of cajones is a bit laughable when the English seem to have more sporting enemies than anyone. Germany, Scotland, Argentina, Australia, America (new one this year). Have I left any out? Turkey might be another one? England seem to be the biggest 'sneers' in the game in that case.

Honestly the idea of Irish people or any people showing support to a team with such an appaling media, that seeks to belittle smaller nations and destroy its managers when things don't got their way, I find extraordinary. As I've said before if the England team worked on its reputation it might garner better goodwill but I don't think most fans care what others think so it is what it is.

WTF are you on about? England and Australia are sporting enemies? Turkey, where did that come from? Scotland, christ, they are even further down our radar than Ireland. So, you reckon a few Man U fans don't care about England, good for them, I doubt they are sat in the pub masturbating about Slovenia winning and good luck to them if they are, they are pathetic little twats.

Simple thing with the English press, don't read it, stick to the Irish stuff if you prefer you daily dose of crap to be green tinted rather than red and white. Tell me about the Italian media, or the Dutch, or the Spanish? are they much better than the English, or do you not read them?

• Advertisement

WTF are you on about? England and Australia are sporting enemies? Turkey, where did that come from? Scotland, christ, they are even further down our radar than Ireland. So, you reckon a few Man U fans don't care about England, good for them, I doubt they are sat in the pub masturbating about Slovenia winning and good luck to them if they are, they are pathetic little twats.

Simple thing with the English press, don't read it, stick to the Irish stuff if you prefer you daily dose of crap to be green tinted rather than red and white. Tell me about the Italian media, or the Dutch, or the Spanish? are they much better than the English, or do you not read them?

Yeah I was under the impression England and Australia do have a sporting rivalry. Turkey came from the unsavoury incidents about 10 years ago involving Leeds. Scotland aren't on your radar? Isn't this meant to be the oldest rivalry in football? I don't reckon a few United fans, I reckon the tens of thousands. I don't know if they will enjoy it as much as you suppose they will but who knows...

I don't read the English press btw. I do watch English TV but seeing as it's geared towards not just English viewers but viewers across these islands, I'm sure you'll understand why non-English people don't like the arrogance that emanates from it.

Using your own argument though, why are you getting so worked up about the views of Irish soccer fans on an Irish soccer forum?

I regard it as just a bit of banter. Same way I reacted to the England fans after the Henry handball laughing at us saying the world would be happy as France would be more entertaining (I suppose in their off-the-field antics they had a point though not on the field). Anyway, I think you are taking it too seriously. England's a great place. Great people. Got a lot going for it but not when it comes to football imo.

I regard it as just a bit of banter. Same way I reacted to the England fans after the Henry handball laughing at us saying the world would be happy as France would be more entertaining (I suppose in their off-the-field antics they had a point though not on the field). Anyway, I think you are taking it too seriously. England's a great place. Great people. Got a lot going for it but not when it comes to football imo.

Most England fans (myself included) had a lot of sympathy for Ireland and were very supportive of them.

Banter is good, it's what football is all about and should be encouraged. As long as we can all go and have a beer together afterwards of course :D

Most England fans (myself included) had a lot of sympathy for Ireland and were very supportive of them.

Banter is good, it's what football is all about and should be encouraged. As long as we can all go and have a beer together afterwards of course :D

I'll drink to that. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,595 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

n00b question, what happens if both England and USA win their matches? dont only 2 make it out of the group stages? do they rematch?

Overheal wrote: »
    n00b question, what happens if both England and USA win their matches? dont only 2 make it out of the group stages? do they rematch?

Slovenia go out. England and the US will both have 5 points, Slovenia 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Support Man U so want to see Rooney and other Man U players do well (for England and other countries). I was delighted with Hernandez's calm finish against France. Disappointed to see Gerrard score not because it was for England but because I naturally dislike Liverpool.
    Otherwise I'm neutral at the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ive been at 4 England Ireland ga,es and 1 England germany game and maybe things have changed but on any of those occasions there was no way we would go near any of the English fans we met let alone have abeer with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,595 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Slovenia go out. England and the US will both have 5 points, Slovenia 4.
    /smackself

somehow I didnt take into consideration that Slovenia was playing England...

Ive been at 4 England Ireland ga,es and 1 England germany game and maybe things have changed but on any of those occasions there was no way we would go near any of the English fans we met let alone have abeer with.

4?? that's some going.

Most wouldn't go near someone calling themselves a "Bhoy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What happened in the past should be left in the past. I'd love any team that plays enjoyable football to win it. If England won it would be good for the Premier League. The only big country in Europe not to win in the last 44 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the main thing that put me off England in the past was their assh@le fans, but they seem to be behaving themselves this time around..........probably because South Africa was a tad too pricey for the riff raff

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    the main thing that put me off England in the past was their assh@le fans, but they seem to be behaving themselves this time around..........probably because South Africa was a tad too pricey for the riff raff

they behaved themselves in Germany and Japan/Korea. You won't find them giving racist abuse unlike a lot of other national teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they behaved themselves in Germany and Japan/Korea. You won't find them giving racist abuse unlike a lot of other national teams.

they behaved themselves in japan/north korea, again because the riff raff were priced out

however they didn't behave themselves in germany..inside the grounds they were fine outside it they were boorish...remember seeing a bbc panorama fly on the wall documentary about it at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Vincent Brown just asked Kerr about who might win, and Kerr talked about Argentina and Brazil and Spain and even Uruguay and Paraguay, and then Vincent Brown said nonchalently: "And what about England?"

And Kerr's spontaneous reaction was he actually started laughing hehe. :P He said they didn't do themselves justice up until now as usual in the world cup and they don't look in great shape.

I love the way he laughed when Brown asked "And what about England?".

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

I've never got the whole anti English thing? I always cheer for them. But let me see if I get it so far?

1. They are full of themselves and think they can win the world cup!
    A: If we thought like that instead of just taking part every time we might just win something sometime. For ref see Denmark & Greece

2. 800/400 years of oppression!
    A: I'm over it. Time to move on

3. It's just local rivalry!
    A: So how come you cheer for Norn-Iron when they play. Now there's a group that really hate us!

4?? that's some going.

Most wouldn't go near someone calling themselves a "Bhoy".

Ya like your average England fan would know what it means???:rolleyes: Though in fairness they seem to be better behaved these last few years so here's hoping

I've never got the whole anti English thing? I always cheer for them. But let me see if I get it so far?

A: If we thought like that instead of just taking part every time we might just win something sometime. For ref see Denmark & Greece

A: So how come you cheer for Norn-Iron when they play. Now there's a group that really hate us!

Cheer for the Billy Boys?? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Not for our brothers up north:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm pretty sure that annoyed Irish fans far more than the ABE cheering upset the English fans.

fryup wrote: »
    they behaved themselves in japan/north korea, again because the riff raff were priced out

however they didn't behave themselves in germany..inside the grounds they were fine outside it they were boorish...remember seeing a bbc panorama fly on the wall documentary about it at the time

200,000 England fans were in Germany for the Portugal game. There were 90 arrests and most of them were when they were attacked by German fans.

I know several Trinidad fans who were in Germany and they wer initially worried about England fans, in the end they were hanging out wioth them because they felt a lot safer with them than they did on their own.

There are a lot of thugs that follow the England, but don't tar all England fans with the same brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

What happened in the past should be left in the past. I'd love any team that plays enjoyable football to win it. If England won it would be good for the Premier League. The only big country in Europe not to win in the last 44 years.
    Spain not a big country then?
    Fact is it's more slagging than anything else, I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if England get knocked out today but I would enjoy the media hurricane and endless recriminations afterwards the same way I would try and avoid the endless harping on in the unlikely event of an English victory.
    Ireland's/Scotland's/Wales's schadenfraude towards England
    =
    England's schadenfraude towards the Krauts/Argies/Ities and Frogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement