Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - Anyone but England ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

3. It's just local rivalry!
    A: So how come you cheer for Norn-Iron when they play. Now there's a group that really hate us!

Who cheers Northern Ireland? I certainly don't anyway. In fact I even cheer England (or practically anyone) when I see them playing v NornIron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There are a lot of thugs that follow the England, but don't tar all England fans with the same brush.

ya i know not ALL are thugs, but there's no getting away from the fact a substantial minority are hard-core thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

fryup wrote: »
    ya i know not ALL are thugs, but there's no getting away from the fact a substantial minority are hard-core thugs.

And you can't say the same about any football team's fans?

Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing England do well...but:

1) I detest the English tabloids and Sky Sports' and their ridiculous expectations and automatic blaming of the manager whenever their ludicrously overrated team fail.

2) I'm not a fan of the Premier League, 'The Best League in the World (TM)'

3) A few of their players (Terry, Cole, Gerrard and now Rooney) are apparently douchebags.

4) It'd be great to see United States top the group and a small country go through second.

I know a lot of England fans and to be honest I'll feel a little disappointed for them if they lose but these other considerations mean that I'm hoping for Slovenia to steal a point today.

Sorry England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

what's a substantial minority? 50, 100, 200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

patmac wrote: »
    Ireland's/Scotland's/Wales's schadenfraude towards England
    =
    England's schadenfraude towards the Krauts/Argies/Ities and Frogs.

The thing is that in England most people perceive the Ireland team as one of the 'Home Nations' along with Scotland & Wales, whereas most (not all) people here in Ireland perceive England to be so foreign as to be cheered against or booed against when ever they are playing! England's schadenfraude towards the Krauts/Argies/Ities and Frogs (as you put it) is understandable on the football field, but from an England point of view 'We here on these two islands are all connected in many ways, hence (Home Nations). You can be pretty sure that if Ireland were playing against Slovenia today, pubs up & down the length & breath of England would be cheering for Ireland, > However, I strongly suspect that most Irish people today in pubs up & down this land will be cheering for 'Slovenia' :cool:

Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus some BS on this thread. An education wasted.

Don't think this has ever really manifested itself in my lifetime but would Irish fans cheer for Scotland or Wales if they qualified for a World Cup and we didn't?

Irish would cheer for Scotland if they had enough Celtic players in the team I guess. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

RichTea wrote: »
    Don't think this has ever really manifested itself in my lifetime but would Irish fans cheer for Scotland or Wales if they qualified for a World Cup and we didn't?

I would hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

RichTea wrote: »
    And you can't say the same about any football team's fans?

Well, from experience i cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

mike65 wrote: »
    Irish would cheer for Scotland if they had enough Celtic players in the team I guess. ;)

I think as celtic cousins the scots and irish are quite likely to support each other in various competitions...celtic, hibernian, scots Gaelic, loss of swathes of the population for various historically similar reasons - there are quite a lot of similarities between the two. :cool:

I've decided it's definetly a player thing for me wrt to any personal anti-England sentiment. When Defoe scored today I was generally indifferent. Even watching someone like say Lampard or Crouch celebrating doesn't annoy me. However whenever I see Gerrard, Terry (and to a lesser extent Rooney) with a big triumphant smile( after a goal or a win) I feel the urge to punch them in the face. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I was surprised and distinctly umimpresed with Capello's demeanour after the game today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think as celtic cousins the scots and irish are quite likely to support each other in various competitions...celtic, hibernian, scots Gaelic, loss of swathes of the population for various historically similar reasons - there are quite a lot of similarities between the two. :cool:

Indeed. The Scots love Ireland so much they decided to populate the Northern part.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

No manners, typical England manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Indeed. The Scots love Ireland so much they decided to populate the Northern part.

The populating went both ways, you think Hibs and Celtic exist just out of affection for our neighbours? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

:pac::pac: I genuinely did laugh out loud for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I take guidance from the Omagh bombers when it comes to shouting for England in soccer tournaments.

i.e. I shout for the opposition.

BHOYS 67
    SANDS 81
    EIRE 32
    OMAGH 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

I hope England get beat on penos, again. I hate the way there media are so full of shíte and the way there fans would threaten to kill you if you messed up and half there team are chavs.

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    Who cheers Northern Ireland? I certainly don't anyway. In fact I even cheer England (or practically anyone) when I see them playing v NornIron.

you're obviously opposed to a united Ireland then.

I take guidance from the Omagh bombers when it comes to shouting for England in soccer tournaments.

BHOYS 67
    SANDS 81
    EIRE 32
    OMAGH 98
    what the fukk does this indicate?

mike65 wrote: »
    what the fukk does this indicate?

true nationalism.

as worn on the back of a Celtic jersey.

I don't expect you to understand.

BHOYS 67
    SANDS 81
    EIRE 32
    OMAGH 98

That's a joke.

A very unfunny one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

true nationalism.

Oh dear God :rolleyes:

not necessarily directed at you RichTea but

Irish ABEs dissing Irish republicanism is a tad hypocritical and downright strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

true nationalism.

Sorry but your whole post is twisted and sick, and I'm sorry that I read it.

you're obviously opposed to a united Ireland then.

Nah I just don't cheer for teams with sizeable sectarian elements - esp one that seemed to take a perverse pleasure in the mere idea of denying the Republic a chance to go to the World Cup. I of course refer to the famous game in Nov.1993. You want me to be their best mates but I'll tell you there was no well-wishing from them that night. Irish fans (Republic of that is) who managed to get to the game will tell you that it was one of the most hostile enviornments they had encounted. To them it was no "hands across the borders" experience. It was more about us losing then them winning.

Thankfully we qualified that night and they got to wallow in their bitter little failure streak for another 2 years, a streak that now extends to 24 years with no end in sight.

Think the omagh part went a bit far there mate.

Lets all settle down before another war brakes out.

not necessarily directed at you RichTea but

Irish ABEs dissing Irish republicanism is a tad hypocritical and downright strange.

You're calling me 'downright strange'? You just took pride in the actions of murderers who killed twenty-nine people in Omagh.

• Advertisement

9/11 has nothing to do with this, the muslim debate is for another day.

Lets all agree that the Bush regime was an inherent failure.

Nah I just don't cheer for teams with sizeable sectarian elements - esp one that seemed to take a perverse pleasure in the mere idea of denying the Republic a chance to go to the World Cup. I of course refer to the famous game in Nov.1993. You want me to be their best mates but I'll tell you there was no well-wishing from them that night. Irish fans (Republic of that is) who managed to get to the game will tell you that it was one of the most hostile enviornments they had encounted. To them it was no "hands across the borders" experience. It was more about us losing then them winning.

Thankfully we qualified that night and they got to wallow in their bitter little failure streak for another 2 years, a streak that now extends to 24 years with no end in sight.

The NI fans (some of them) are the bigots, not the players.

If we ever united this island, and have a team that represents the 32 counties, will you boo the non-nationalist players from the six counties?

People like you make me sick.

Funny that.

The NI fans (some of them) are the bigots, not the players.

If we ever united this island, and have a team that represents the 32 counties, will you boo the non-nationalist players from the six counties?

Charming.

Where did I say I was against a united Ireland or a united team? People who don't read posts before critcising the poster make me ..... bored.

Charming.

Where did I say I was against a united Ireland or a united team? Where did I say I had anything against NornIron players? People who don't read posts before critcising the poster make me ..... bored.

You said

"Nah I just don't cheer for teams with sizeable sectarian elements"

which pretty much says you're against Northern Ireland players and fans.

You said

"Nah I just don't cheer for teams with sizeable sectarian elements"

which pretty much says you're against Northern Ireland players and fans.

... and how does that mean I'm against a united Ireland or united Ireland team?

... and how does that mean I'm against a united Ireland or united Ireland team?

because a united Ireland and united team will include those fans and those players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's weird.

The mere presence of England in a tournament actually seems to bring as many mongos out of the woodwork as Ireland being in one does.

can you really see the ABEs getting behind ex Rangers or ex Linfield boys who now turn out for an all Ireland squad?

• Advertisement

because a united Ireland and united team will include those fans and those players.

Hopefully not. I would hope by the time of a united Ireland occurs that the sort of players and fans I allude to will no longer exist. I certainly wouldn't want have to share a stadium any of the aforementioned element who made their views known back in 93.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I don't doubt that experience was uncomfortable but then again the 'wonderful' Landsdowne Rd crowd, or a sizeable chunk, did boo Rangers players, even if they were playing for a 'neutral' country like Denmark.

I don't doubt that experience was uncomfortable but then again the 'wonderful' Landsdowne Rd crowd, or a sizeable chunk, did boo Rangers players, even if they were playing for a 'neutral' country like Denmark.

They're idiots too. But the issue at hand is should I support some team whose fans consist of a large element of sectarian bigots who'd wish nothing but ill will for the Republic team? I say I shouldn't.

The fans of those visiting teams booed in Lansdowne can similarily feel however they like about Rep.Ireland based on their experiences and I wouldn't blame them if they drew a negative conclusion.

Rangers players nearly always get abuse here. The problem is compounded by the presence of bitter and twisted Irish supporters that hate the England team but bizarrely disown the actions of genuine nationalists and their efforts to bring freedom and unity to this country.

If I was English I wouldn't want Irish people's crocodile tears along the lines of

"Yeah, that bombing was terrible but we think it's hilarious that you didn't qualify for World Cup 1994".

Rangers players nearly always get abuse here. The problem is compounded by the presence of bitter and twisted Irish supporters that hate the England team but bizarrely disown the actions of genuine nationalists and their efforts to bring freedom and unity to this country.

If I was English I wouldn't want Irish people's crocodile tears along the lines of

"Yeah, that bombing was terrible but we think it's hilarious that you didn't qualify for World Cup 1994".

Did you get lessons in talking utter bollocks or does it just come natural to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

we're going way off topic here folks (as usual):rolleyes:

this thread is about england bashing not the troubles in the north

• Advertisement

we're going way off topic here folks (as usual):rolleyes:

this thread is about england bashing not the troubles in the north

Mmm.....don't you remember the English getting bashed was the cause of a lot of troubles in the North!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

true nationalism.

Take that claptrap to the politics forum, Theres no place for politics in sport.

Cmon England

The Muppet wrote: »
    Take that claptrap to the politics forum, Theres no place for politics in sport.

Cmon England

Apt username...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Muppet wrote: »

Cmon England

I wouldn't cmon them if they were the last woman on earth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

stovelid wrote: »
    It's weird.

The mere presence of England in a tournament actually seems to bring as many mongos out of the woodwork as Ireland being in one does.
    Lets not go that far

• Advertisement
Advertisement