Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - Anyone but England ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I tried to support England this time. I was in London for the Algeria game, down Harrow Rd. Some geezer from the nearest pub was standing outside, with a megaphone no less, announcing to the crowd in the Algerian cafe across the street that "Englands gonna **** you up the arse" over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I take guidance from the Omagh bombers when it comes to shouting for England in soccer tournaments.

i.e. I shout for the opposition.

BHOYS 67
    SANDS 81
    EIRE 32
    OMAGH 98

What is your problem with BHOYS 67???? :confused:

I don't doubt that experience was uncomfortable but then again the 'wonderful' Landsdowne Rd crowd, or a sizeable chunk, did boo Rangers players, even if they were playing for a 'neutral' country like Denmark.

Not this again. That started as a 9it of craic and after a while the crowd were even booing Shay Given who was laughing at it all. It was a boring firendly on a clod night. To compare this to the hate filled cesspit that was Windsor Park in '93 is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What is your problem with BHOYS 67???? :confused:

They misspelled boys, for a start.
    That started as a 9it of craic

Are you on drugs or something?

stovelid wrote: »
    They misspelled boys, for a start.

Yawn.

Sorry???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

RichTea wrote: »
    Don't think this has ever really manifested itself in my lifetime but would Irish fans cheer for Scotland or Wales if they qualified for a World Cup and we didn't?

You were born after 1998?

Sorry???

You're trying to tell us (including long-term Ireland match goers) that booing like that is for a joke?

And let assume it was: would you mind if a load of England fans booed an Irish player "for a bit of craic" because it was a "boring firendly on a cold night".

The sooner England get knocked out of the WC the better. The amount of mongos that have turned up in football threads is depressing.

You're trying to tell us (including long-term Ireland match goers) that booing like that is for a joke?

And let assume it was: would you mind if a load of England fans booed an Irish player "for a bit of craic" because it was a "boring firendly on a cold night".

The sooner England get knocked out of the WC the better. The amount of mongos that have turned up in football threads is depressing.

Look i was there that night. A very small group started booing who they thought was Lovenkrands. Shortly afterward Lovenkrands actually acme on and if i remember correctly the rest of the crowd started booing the other player as well. It eventually turned and fans were booing nearly everyone including Given. Yes it was light hearted for the majority of fans. I am open to correction, by someone else that was at the match, if i'm wrong.

Even so i have no problem either with the small minority who initially started booing him evn though i woould not do so. In what context are you talking about an Irish player being booed by English fans?? Doubt i'd like it, why would i? but its up to them.

Anyway to compare this to the cauldron of hate that was windsor park is as i said, laughable.

Look i was there that night. A very small group started booing who they thought was Lovenkrands. Shortly afterward Lovenkrands actually acme on and if i remember correctly the rest of the crowd started booing the other player as well. It eventually turned and fans were booing nearly everyone including Given. Yes it was light hearted for the majority of fans. I am open to correction, by someone else that was at the match, if i'm wrong.

So the booing was kinda like a postmodern comment on the concept of booing huns, as it were?

So the booing was kinda like a postmodern comment on the concept of booing huns, as it were?

Oh how very smart you must be. Anyway i'd edit the 'h' word if i was you. I was banned once for using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

... bitter and twisted Irish supporters that hate the England team but bizarrely disown the actions of genuine nationalists and their efforts to bring freedom and unity to this country.

If I was English I wouldn't want Irish people's crocodile tears along the lines of

"Yeah, that bombing was terrible but we think it's hilarious that you didn't qualify for World Cup 1994".

You think people are bitter and twisted for being disgusted by the Omagh bombing... that's seriously fùcked up

You're spouting the typical deluded, self righteous, thug shìte talk. Your posts make me sick. Just thought I'd let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I think there might be a few heads in here on something or another. :rolleyes:

I was banned once for using it.

That's awful. Were you using it ironically as well?

What a load of rubbish. The guy came on, the announcer got his name wrong, the barstooler celthick fans booed him like the gob****es they are. One more reason Ill never go back to Landsdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm supporting Ghana in this world Cup. It's a real shame Essien isn't there. I'm glad they lost to the Germs because England would beat them. They should have enough to beat the USA.

I don't support England because i find them boring to watch under Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

DB10 wrote: »
    Apt username...

That put's me in my place eh:D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The Muppet wrote: »
    That put's me in my place eh:D

;)

CiaranC wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. The guy came on, the announcer got his name wrong, the barstooler celthick fans booed him like the gob****es they are. One more reason Ill never go back to Landsdowne.

So, are you denying that it baceame a bit off a laugh and that at one stage the crowd were booing the irish and applauding every dnaish touch?? BTW i'm glad the likes of you wont be going back, there is some chance of an atmosphere if fans arent wondering who they might upset by their chants etc. Good riddance. And calling celtic fans barstoolers shows you up for waht you are.

That's awful. Were you using it ironically as well?
    Ah now surr, i wouldnt be all clever and educated like you. Shure what would the likes of me nknow about irony.

I notice you fail to address my other points.

• Advertisement

Shure what would the likes of me nknow about irony.

Fuck all by the looks of it?

I wasn't at that match but I've been going to Ireland games for 24 years and don't beleive for an instant that Rangers players (mistaken or otherwise) get booed for the 'craic'.
    i'm glad the likes of you wont be going back, there is some chance of an atmosphere if fans arent wondering who they might upset by their chants etc.

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Fizman wrote: »
    I'b be more inclined to cheer for them if they ever decided to play some attractive football. As it is it's pure muck, with their midfielders largely anonymous in games. The reason why I jumped off the couch last Sat night is largely down to their media circus and all the trash thats spoken. Oh and I also had a few bob on them not to win. :)

In general I don't have any hatred towards the team and its players, but they are the least inspiring shower out of all the major nations.

France out ? Italy out ? England may not inspire you, but they're not out (yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

France out ? Italy out ? England may not inspire you, but they're not out (yet!)

I guess neither is the guy on the life support machine ;)

Fuck all by the looks of it?

I wasn't at that match but I've been going to Ireland games for 24 years and don't beleive for an instant that Rangers players (mistaken or otherwise) get booed for the 'craic'.

lol.

You have completely missed my point. It may have started out as a tiny section booing a rangers player but it developed into something different with most of the crowd joining in. I repeat, even the Irish players wre laughing in the end. You weren't at the match so how can you judge?? As for celtic players booing rangers players, i never once suggested they do it for the craic. In fairness i suggest you read my posts.

As for the lol, im not sure waht you mean by it. The atmosphere in recent years has been getting worse and i think much of that has to with the new breed of fan coming to games.

tu denying that it baceame a bit off a laugh and that at one stage the crowd were booing the irish and applauding every dnaish touch?? BTW i'm glad the likes of you wont be going back, there is some chance of an atmosphere if fans arent wondering who they might upset by their chants etc. Good riddance. And calling celtic fans barstoolers shows you up for waht you are.
    You are talking from your back hole. Your nonsensical revisionism is not even mildly amusing. I was on the south terrace that day, and I heard that nonsense. Come back in another 5-10 years when you cant find anyone who heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

You were born after 1998?

I was quite young then. And I forgot about Scotland qualifying. Still don't remember if anyone was supporting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I took my Junior Cert English exams on the day they played Brazil in the Stade de France. :)

Certainly more people in my class were behind the Scots, compared to England.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was quite young then. And I forgot about Scotland qualifying. Still don't remember if anyone was supporting them.

I wanted them to beat Brazil, more out of support for the underdog than any real desire to see Scotland do well (e.g. I was delighted when Costa Rica beat them in 1990). By the Norway game I didn't really care if they won or lost and against Morocco I was actively supporting the Africans (while watching, and supporting, Norway beating Brazil).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

They were - or at least all the Irish folks I knew/know were - so were the Welsh... ;)

CiaranC wrote: »
    You are talking from your back hole. Your nonsensical revisionism is not even mildly amusing. I was on the south terrace that day, and I heard that nonsense. Come back in another 5-10 years when you cant find anyone who heard it.

How is it revisionism?? I never said i supported the lads booing rangers players but am just recalling my experiences of the night. I was also on the south terrace that night. Fair enough you interpreted things differently. Do you rememeber the Irish keeper that night turning around and applauding the fans when they were booing every irish touch??

Also again i ask why do you call celtic fans barstoolers??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Guys, I was thinking. This may sound blasphemous, but mightn't it be better if England scraped through by some miracles in the cheapest way possible, and then got ANNIHILATED about 5-0 by Argentina in the quarter finals? :D:D:D:D

They'd all be talking about 1982 again, they'd all be going ****ing mental thinking they were going to win the world cup, convincing themselves they had beaten the West Germany of old.... and then they'd meet a team that can really play. 5-0 might be pushing it... but 3-0 or 4-1 would certainly be a very real possibility for Argentina vs this England side on current form.

Like Eamon Dunphy said, mightn't it be better to let the soap opera continue??? But definitely NOT beating Argentina into the semi-final no matter how cheaply because then England would claim they were proud winners no matter what.

I wouldn't mind Germany easily winning as well, and then maybe Germany would cause an upset against Argentina and put a bit more respectability back into European football. It's just that I don't see Germany trashing them, I do see Argentina doing it. Maybe Germany beat England by 2 goals, Argentina beat Germany by two goals, that doesn't humiliate England.

Even if you still go for Germany, you can't say it would ALL bad if England got through in the cheapest most undeserved way possible and then had to face Argentina at full strength? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well I for one would object to this. ;) If they beat Germany they will be insufferable for years. Germany to win. How? Don't care.

P.s.: but I like the way you're thinking... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You guys are more obsessed with England than the England fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Kold wrote: »
    You guys are more obsessed with England than the England fans.

+1

Threads like these and others are one of the reasons why I really don't like International football roll on August imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Livvie wrote: »
    Too many generalisations there.

The English and the French generally don't like each other - it's not actually fair to say that the English hate the French and leave it at that, because the perception here is that they hate us, so our reaction to them is based on that - but probably theirs is too.

I don't hate any nation, so I hate hearing "The English this, and the English that."

And many English people support Ireland whoever they're playing because most of us have an affection for all of our neighbours, that isn't returned, and probably hasn't been earned anyway, but your average English person has no beef with the Irish or the French, or anyone else.

A lot of perceptions on all nationalities is created by the media who are frequently an embarrassment to us all.

And isn't there a certain irony in hearing about England being racist, from someone who says "typical English..." Isn't that racist?

Say that the media are racist by all means but to declare that the English "hate the French" is a generalisation and quite offensive.

If I came on here and said "The Irish hate the English" is that acceptable, even if it's correct?

God knows, I do know that there are English who disgrace the rest of us. I don't particularly welcome being associated with them.

Re-read all the posts from the OP and that's where you will find the generalisations Livvie. No need to attack me or personally insult me when I was merely making a valid point about the OP's snide comments and generalisations. Thanks.

bonerm wrote: »
    Nah I just don't cheer for teams with sizeable sectarian elements - esp one that seemed to take a perverse pleasure in the mere idea of denying the Republic a chance to go to the World Cup. I of course refer to the famous game in Nov.1993. You want me to be their best mates but I'll tell you there was no well-wishing from them that night. Irish fans (Republic of that is) who managed to get to the game will tell you that it was one of the most hostile enviornments they had encounted. To them it was no "hands across the borders" experience. It was more about us losing then them winning.

Thankfully we qualified that night and they got to wallow in their bitter little failure streak for another 2 years, a streak that now extends to 24 years with no end in sight.

I remember that 'night in November' quite well. I wasn't there, but I remember watching it on TV and I've read a bit about it froms Irish fans who attended the match. You can't compare it with a small number of people at Lansdowne booing a Rangers player. There was a very tense atmosphere at that game in Windsor Park in '93- probably the most hostile stadium the republic have ever played in. They went out of their way to stop us qualifying. Not to mention the Northern Ireland manager geeing up the crowd into a frenzy. I wouldn't support the North either after that night...... "hands across the border indeed!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Re-read all the posts from the OP and that's where you will find the generalisations Livvie. No need to attack me or personally insult me when I was merely making a valid point about the OP's snide comments and generalisations. Thanks.

Sorry, Johnny. I admit I was being defensive, but I really didn't intend to attack or personally insult you. In which way did I do that? I genuinely can't see it, but apologise if that's how it came across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I remember that 'night in November' quite well. I wasn't there, but I remember watching it on TV and I've read a bit about it froms Irish fans who attended the match. You can't compare it with a small number of people at Lansdowne booing a Rangers player. There was a very tense atmosphere at that game in Windsor Park in '93- probably the most hostile stadium the republic have ever played in. They went out of their way to stop us qualifying. Not to mention the Northern Ireland manager geeing up the crowd into a frenzy. I wouldn't support the North either after that night...... "hands across the border indeed!"

ffs man that was way back in 93:rolleyes:, and the reason it was so hostile that night is because the IRA blew up the shankhill rd just a fortnight before.

i persume you saw that stupid play that demonises all norn iron supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Threads like these and others are one of the reasons why I really don't like International football roll on August imo.

I love the World Cup and it is far and away the best soccer tournament. To be representing your country is the pinnacle of ones career and to do it in an event that only comes around every 4 years makes the WC probably the greatest sporting event. The whole world watches the WC and to win it, well I can imagine nothing can compare to that. The best players in the world are on view and the majority of players would rather win the WC than any domestic honour playing for a club or rather a profit-driven PLC.

Warper wrote: »
    I love the World Cup and it is far and away the best soccer tournament. To be representing your country is the pinnacle of ones career and to do it in an event that only comes around every 4 years makes the WC probably the greatest sporting event. The whole world watches the WC and to win it, well I can imagine nothing can compare to that. The best players in the world are on view and the majority of players would rather win the WC than any domestic honour playing for a club or rather a profit-driven PLC.

Think you missed the point of my post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

What have the Shankhill Road Bomb, Glasgow Rangers got to do with supporting or not supporting England?

For me, it is the Red Tops and all the jingoistic sh1te that is printed. I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup and nearly the first words that came out of the English Commentator's mouth was the "spirit of 1966".

Because we are so close to England by ways of media, soccer players, etc. we are more intersted in the outcome of the England team performance.

I hate the crap of " 2 World wars & 1 World Cup, and the divebombing sounds that English supporters make when playing Germany; as the introduction of the US in WW1 and the onslaught of the Soviet Army in WW2 won these wars.

Beating West Germany in 1966 does not amount to worldwide acclaim except in England; a country whose inhabitants dream of past glories of empire building and sport, but whose current generation is bereft of a decent education and any sense of spotsmanship.

England supporters do nbot appreciate the game or other nations as is evident by the frequent booing & jeering of other nations' National Anthems during home games.

I look forward to a good game at 3.00pm, and hope that England don't scapegoat another player for trheir failings if they do not win;

a la
    Rooney v Ronaldo - Rooney Stamped - Ronaldo's fault
    Beckham v Simeone - Simeone's fault - Beckham kicked out, he fell too easily
    England penalty tekers v everyone else - why can't they miss

• Advertisement

I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup and nearly the first words that came out of the English Commentator's mouth was the "spirit of 1966".

I remember the reaction from the Irish media when they won the Rugby world cup and it was :o , rather than give credit to a superb rugby team.

Actually on the rugby world cup, I don't recall them saying the "spirit of 1966" certainly not on the UK coverage, maybe rte mentioned it.

Don't generalise, I'm sure they could do the same about us and we would be pretty peeved if they did and quick to point out the stupidity of generalising.

Ignore the red tops, actually just don't buy them.

Thankfully the booing thing is starting to disappear now and at long last it seems that the decent fans are now returning to support the national team rather than the low wattage idiots that followed them around in the past.

I remember the reaction from the Irish media when they won the Rugby world cup and it was :o , rather than give credit to a superb rugby team.

Actually on the rugby world cup, I don't recall them saying the "spirit of 1966" certainly not on the UK coverage, maybe rte mentioned it.

Don't generalise, I'm sure they could do the same about us and we would be pretty peeved if they did and quick to point out the stupidity of generalising.

Ignore the red tops, actually just don't buy them.

Thankfully the booing thing is starting to disappear now and at long last it seems that the decent fans are now returning to support the national team rather than the low wattage idiots that followed them around in the past.

I don't buty the red tops, but it is their attitude that irks me. Don't forget these papers have a very high readership in the UK.

I watched the RWC on BBC and that is when I heard the commentary and the fact that Ben Cohen was a relative of George Cohen; one of the heroes of '66.

I am not generalising but merely point out the facts why many are happy when England fail, but it is not due to some Irish nationalistic trait but more due to the English media and a quite substantial amount of England supporters.

I would also like to add that having England in the competition does make it more interesting for people like myself, that watch the Premier League, that enjoy football but have no misconceptions about how good players no matter their nationality

I don't buty the red tops, but it is their attitude that irks me. Don't forget these papers have a very high readership in the UK.

I watched the RWC on BBC and that is when I heard the commentary and the fact that Ben Cohen was a relative of George Cohen; one of the heroes of '66.

I am not generalising but merely point out the facts why many are happy when England fail, but it is not due to some Irish nationalistic trait but more due to the English media and a quite substantial amount of England supporters.

I don't even look at the red tops and its not an issue for me, I couldn't even tell you what the headlines are. The red tops also have a very high readership here.

Re Ben Cohen, then that is understandable reference to the Football world cup then.

Sorry but I don't buy the whole its down to the media thing and even the England supporters thing (though I can kind of see it), its deeper than that imo. Our own media still bang on about 1988 and 1990, the amount of references to Italia 1990 in the last couple of weeks!

As said England are now starting to attract the genuine supporters(those club supporters that you meet week in week out ) who were scared to follow England for many years.

Back to the Rugby world cup, why is it on the sports news here the following Monday the theme was we will have to listen to them for years now(which we haven't) go on about it rather than actually talking about the match and Johnny Wilkinsons dramatic drop goal winner? It was :o

I'm not that bothered how they do or how we do to be honest, I'm not an international football fan, but part of me wants to see them do well, cause of how our media react to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

As said England are now starting to attract the genuine supporters(those club supporters that you meet week in week out ) who were scared to follow England for many years.

Do you mean Irish/Northern Irish supporters that were scared to follow England...?

Do you mean Irish/Northern Irish supporters that were scared to follow England...?

:confused:

Scared possibly the wrong word, talking about genuine football fans who knew that it was too much hassle to follow England due to the element of fans that they attracted, just like their would have been a time I would not have gone to an English Div 1 match ( Premiership match for those not old enough to remember :p ) when things were bad all those years ago.

i.e. you keep the low wattage element away and you start to attract genuine fans/families etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

What have the Shankhill Road Bomb, Glasgow Rangers got to do with supporting or not supporting England?

Everything.

Stop trying to gloss over it with the "keep politics out of football" stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Absolutely delighted for them. 4 more years of hurt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

always amazed at people who start these threads
    like too watch messi play and izul for germany
    was rubbish poor start worls cup
    but the final 16 interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

cant see them being better in 4 years time, Gerrard, Lampard Terry Ferdinand etc wont be there

Advertisement