Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - Anyone but England ?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

CorkMan wrote: »
    cant see them being better in 4 years time, Gerrard, Lampard Terry Ferdinand etc wont be there

Yet, the first two you mention were consistently mediocre in a Three Lions jersey for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

germany where nice team too watch,even if it was 2-2,germany would still have won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Absolutely delighted for them. 4 more years of hurt! :D

Football's going home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Absolutely delighted for them. 4 more years of hurt! :D

Have a good old **** over it so. What interest will you muster now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Kold wrote: »
    Have a good old **** over it so. What interest will you muster now?

I'm no language prude exactly, but is this not a bit much? Johnny Utah was just expressing he was glad England were out, like many people are for all kinds of reasons, and this guy goes into talking about **** over it.

Nobody's **** over anything to do with football, get a life. Even though you might feel dirty and edgy using profane language like that you're not making any point at all, just saying a person shouldn't be entitled to be glad a team is out.

• Advertisement

On the plus side, at least they have a friendly against Hungary to look forward to on August 11th. See, there's always things to look forward to. :p:p:p :rolleyes:

I don't see the point in having a friendly game like that so close after the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

On the plus side, at least they have a friendly against Hungary to look forward to on August 11th. See, there's always things to look forward to. :p:p:p :rolleyes:

I don't see the point in having a friendly game like that so close after the world cup.

Not more international football just as the season is starting :mad::mad::mad:

cant see them being better in 4 years time, Gerrard, Lampard Terry Ferdinand etc wont be there

Agreed. England are never going to win the World Cup if thet persist in playing football this way. I don't know why the FA and Premier League can't make a long-term decision to educate (and more importantly ALLOW) their best kids to play the game in a more cultured way and then in 10 years or so they might actually have a squad of players who are worth the reputation that's automatically given to them.

My suspicion is they're just scared to do so as the league might turn off fans who only want to see exciting yet brainless kick-and-rush style football week after week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

While the picture wasn't as rosy as they BBC were painting it during the campaign it's not as dire as people now make it to be either.
    Germany were in the exact same position year ago and all it takes is a bit of balls by a manager to make a cut.

Say good bye to a number of senior squad members and call in the young lads.

And don't wait 'til doomsday, do not just bring young lads in that were at least young player of the year or so. Bring on young lads that are promising and get a game all the same - even if they are in the Championship or in league one or on United reserves. If the most promising English center back happens to play for bloody Millwall and only starts every second game, so be it, bring him along. He will grow just because you brought him along. Both Badstuber & Mueller were Bayern reserves the season before last. Not saying they're the greatest, but they're something.

Trappatoni did it and it works for him, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

They are not that good though in reality, won't be missed.
    I could see it in Gerrard's eyes at the beginning of the game in the tunnel, he looked terrified whilst the german captain was focused.

AND whilst you are on the subject Ireland wouldn't have got as far as the french to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mcwhirter wrote: »
    They are not that good though in reality, won't be missed.
    I could see it in Gerrard's eyes at the beginning of the game in the tunnel, he looked terrified whilst the german captain was focused.

AND whilst you are on the subject Ireland wouldn't have got as far as the french to be honest

What? :confused: So we wouldnt have come 3rd in the group?

What? :confused: So we wouldnt have come 3rd in the group?

Technically we would have only had to come last in the group to have got as far them.

I think we could have managed that.

bonerm wrote: »
    Technically we would have only had to come last in the group to have got as far them.

I think we could have managed that.

lol, yes. In fairness to mcwhirter, I think what he was trying to say was France would probably do better than Ireland on average if we had a few world cups.

In fairness to France (and Italy), teams do have to pace themselves in a competition like the world cup if they are going to have a chance of winning it. A draw against a team like Uruguay in qualifiers (or even a loss) is par for the course for world cup winners or runners-up. Unlike Italy, it was all over for France when they lost 2-0 to Mexico. They never knew what hit them. So I have more sympathy for France than Italy, at least Italy got a chance... all they had to do was beat Slovakia.

If the world cup were to be played again I think France would be very likely to do better than Ireland, especially if they were set up right, that's what I think he means.

Advertisement