Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resit a paper - exceptional Circumstances!!

• 18-06-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just wonderin is it possible to resit a paper during the summer and have the results of that included in your lc results in August?? I was involved in some very exceptional circumstances right before in an exam which caused me not to do well in it. I can get a note from the gardai as well if needs be!! :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

nope. There is no such facility unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    Just wonderin is it possible to resit a paper during the summer and have the results of that included in your lc results in August?? I was involved in some very exceptional circumstances right before in an exam which caused me not to do well in it. I can get a note from the gardai as well if needs be!! :/

I say you nearly could, obviously you'd get a different paper though! Which exam was it? It might have been easier if you didn't actually sit the exam at all! You'd wanna get onto the SEC about it!

And im sorry, the curiorisity is killing me, whats your exeptional circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Nope. Sorry, but I have never ever heard of a situation where a student has been allowed sit an exam on their own over the summer. But Contact the SEC and I'm sure they'll be able to offer you better advice than any of us could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RomyF

i think we ALL want to know what the exceptional circumstances wer but considering we wernt told from the outset id say we can let her keep her privacy for this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

There is no resitting of papers until next June. However I suppose there is no harm if you send a letter to the SEC with the documentary evidence from the gardai outlining what happened then, the circumstances may be taken into account when correcting your exam. However their normal policy from what I have heard is that if you do not inform the invigilator or school or SEC before the exam then there is nothing they can do for you after the exam. Best thing to do now is ring them asap on 090-6442700

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Ok I think I'll have to get in contact with them so!! I didn't tell my exam supervisor but she knew what happened from being at the school!!

I'll pm anyone that wants to know what happened ... It's not that excitin but I don't want ppl knowin who I am by postin it publicly!! .. I'm from Cork btw but that's all ye're gettin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Ah, it's probably not our business to know! Just hope everything is okay though!

If the superintendent knows what happened, and you can get some form of written report from the Gardaí and you actually appeared for the exam, then I'm sure the SEC will make some arrangement to accommodate you.

At the end of the day, there's little anyone can do if something they have no control over goes wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The time to arrange the reasonable accommodation for exceptional circumstances was before the exam was sat, not after. There is no facility to resit a paper you have already seen.

At the time, it could have been arranged for you to sit somewhere for a few hours quarantined and sit the paper after the others in your centre, but since you've seen the paper, there's no chance now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I was suffering post-traumatic stress after the Boland fiasco, was sick as a parrot and as a result did badly in French. That's certainly an exceptional circumstance and I should be allowed to sit the paper again. Come to think of it, my friend had a bad case of pmt and my boyfriend had a dodgy pint the night before. Yeah, I think we're on to something here...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Personally, I feel the World Cup being on at the same time should count as exceptional circumstances...

As for the OP's question, i'm 99% sure there's nothin you can do after the event unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

spurious wrote: »
    The time to arrange the reasonable accommodation for exceptional circumstances was before the exam was sat, not after. There is no facility to resit a paper you have already seen.

At the time, it could have been arranged for you to sit somewhere for a few hours quarantined and sit the paper after the others in your centre, but since you've seen the paper, there's no chance now.

I'm afraid that's true, I know one case where a SEC representative had to come to the house and take this persons phone at the time the exam started and stay with that person until they went to sit the exam. It is annoying that they don't have a better system but I guess if they were to put a system in place for that then people would begin to exploit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

You can resit papers In January. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

fufureida wrote: »

Since when?

Cipango wrote: »
    Since when?

Since i typed it into google and found out you could.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No you can't.

spurious wrote: »
    No you can't.

Yes you can. In January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Yes you can. In January.
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Yes you can. In January.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes you can. In January.
    Provide link please?!!

Ok hold on I'll look sheeeesh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Probably on www.wikipedia.com... I mean , they are one of the most reliable sites around ? :D

What do you bet she was on the exams page in her prospective college, and ended up thinking she was reading about the LC? ;)

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=915740

'You can repeat one subject - any subject. Many students repeat Maths if it is an entry requirement for their chosen course. Your points won't change unless you repeat 6 subjects and improve on your existing points. To repeat Maths, you just need to register as an external candidate in a Leaving Cert exam centre by end of January. Look up State Examinations Commission for External Candidate details. If you don't attend school, to repeat one subject was €109 in 2009 but there are no fees if you have a medical card. If you just sat your LC you should review your exam paper in your school on 28th/29th August to make sure marks were awarded and added up correctly and to get a re-check done if necessary. I think private grinds one to one are the best way to repeat one subject such as Maths as you can get a job/sign on/do a PLC course at the same time.'

... Ok my mistake it's to register in January and not repeat in January... my bad guys muchos sorrys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

It's also from a discussion forum. So not that reliable really...

... Ok my mistake it's to register in January and not repeat in January... my bad guys muchos sorrys...
    normal_headdesk.jpg

HeadDesk.jpg

Would you like to borrow a *headdesk* image, spurious? ^_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ChasingDreams.

My friend's Dad died last week, and he had to sit his exams. They had to arrange the funeral around his tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

My friend's Dad died last week, and he had to sit his exams. They had to arrange the funeral around his tests...

Thats really sad...

At least though your friend was able to finish his/her exams , fair play. I mean what can the SEC do - sure he could have not done them but it means repeating and doing them next sure which would suck...

PARARORY wrote: »
    I mean what can the SEC do ...
    In fairness, they do try in cases like that, and would even let him sit an exam earlier or later.

It means having a superintendent literally by your side every second of the time between the proper exam time and the time that you're doing it though, so it's often easier to organise the funeral around the exam instead.

So tough though!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

No, you really can't. Some guy got appendicitis on Monday evening and couldn't sit his exams on Tuesday. His parents asked the SEC if he could resit the exams he missed at a later date, his doctors rang to tell them he couldn't possibly sit them, but they were told "he'll have to repeat them next June".

It might not be fair, but it's a case of "tough luck". There is no way to resit a Leaving Certificate exam if you miss it for any reason. You just have to do it again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

This may or may not apply but in Art for the practical exam in May if from some reason you are unable to do your exam (i.e broken arm,wrint,finger,nail) your teachers tells the supervisor what they think you would get and thats your score. Apparently. I wonder could a similar agrrement be reached with regards to the OP? Probably not but hey worth ashot, if you dont buy a ticket you can't fix the raffle :p

Advertisement