Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resit a paper - exceptional Circumstances!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MavisDavis wrote: »
    No, you really can't.
    We've established that ... read the posts you skipped! :)
    This may or may not apply but in Art for the practical exam in May if from some reason you are unable to do your exam (i.e broken arm,wrint,finger,nail) your teachers tells the supervisor what they think you would get and thats your score. Apparently. I wonder could a similar agrrement be reached with regards to the OP? Probably not but hey worth ashot, if you dont buy a ticket you can't fix the raffle :p
    There are provisions to do the orals / practicals at a slightly later time in exceptional circumstances; they don't, to the best of my knowledge, include the teacher telling the Dept. what to give you!

That doesn't apply to the sit-down exams however.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

There really should be a way to resit papers that's bs...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

We've established that ... read the posts you skipped! :)

There are provisions to do the orals / practicals at a slightly later time in exceptional circumstances; they don't, to the best of my knowledge, include the teacher telling the Dept. what to give you!

That doesn't apply to the sit-down exams however.

''Where, due to illness, a candidate is unable to take the practical test at the scheduled time in any of the
    following :- Leaving Certificate subjects : Engineering, Construction Studies, Art – Craftwork / Design /
    Imaginative Composition - Still Life / Life Sketching /, Junior Certificate subjects :- Metalwork (Higher
    Level), Art Craft Design (Drawing), the candidate must be afforded the opportunity to sit the re-scheduled
    Practical test at the earliest opportunity in the period up to the commencement of the written
    examinations.''

What happens if, say, you broke your arm on the day the practical was done, couldn't do it. Your arm was still in a cast until after the written exam (in which somebody else wrote for you). What do you do then? Teacher gives you an A1 :rolleyes:

What happens if, say, you broke your arm on the day the practical was done, couldn't do it. Your arm was still in a cast until after the written exam (in which somebody else wrote for you). What do you do then? Teacher gives you an A1 :rolleyes:
    I don't know, maybe.

I never examined practical subjects, spurious might give you a better answer.

If so, it's a pretty unreliable way of doing things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Doesn't your teacher grade your Ag. Science oral? Or did I make that up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

yes they do and an examiner comes in to examine a small fraction of the class to make sure your teacher is grading it right!

No, you're right, Barnhall, and as DL Saint says, there is cross-verification by an Extern on a sample of students.

That's a bit different though from "what do you think s/he would have got if s/he had been able to do the practical?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Titan9

My friend's Dad died last week, and he had to sit his exams. They had to arrange the funeral around his tests...

Same happened my friends dad, the Tuesday night before the exams started, and they still done them. So there is no exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Does your Teacher grade your Construction project then the examiner grades it? Surely your teacher would give you a better mark then you deserve maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NotExactly wrote: »
    Does your Teacher grade your Construction project then the examiner grades it? Surely your teacher would give you a better mark then you deserve maybe?

In a situation where a local teacher marks practical work, an experienced examiner (monitor) visits every school to check the standard is the same as nationally. So, if the local teacher had given high marks to a bad project, all their marks would be brought down by the monitor to match the national standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

NotExactly wrote: »

It's exactly as spurious said above. Most teachers mark accurately because they don't want a couple of grades putting their whole class at risk. I'm an external monitor in ag science and I've brought grades down and up, but most teachers mark fairly because they don't want to screw over their own students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

quick question, family member passed away there yeaterday, and the funerals on tuesday, when Im due to sit the spanish exam Does anybody know if there is anything the SEC can do for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

quick question, family member passed away there yeaterday, and the funerals on tuesday, when Im due to sit the spanish exam Does anybody know if there is anything the SEC can do for me?

Ring them and find out

How close, Cook!e?

How close, Cook!e?

How close of a relative? My aunt. We were very close.

Best bet is to talk to the school first thing Monday morning, and enlist their help with the SEC.

I honestly don't know how good the chances are ... they certainly make special arrangements in cases of parent etc, but I don't know what their cut-off is.

If they do agree to help, it will mean a super breathing down your neck for any time that's relevant ... e.g. if you sit it early, from that time until everyone else starts, or, if you're later, from the time the exam starts until you start.

Best bet is to talk to the school first thing Monday morning, and enlist their help with the SEC.

I honestly don't know how good the chances are ... they certainly make special arrangements in cases of parent etc, but I don't know what their cut-off is.

If they do agree to help, it will mean a super breathing down your neck for any time that's relevant ... e.g. if you sit it early, from that time until everyone else starts, or, if you're later, from the time the exam starts until you start.

Really? I just have to be there I don't think I could live with myself knowing I didn't go. I wonder if they would let me sit the exam earlier that morning. Thanks for your help :D

Really? I just have to be there I don't think I could live with myself knowing I didn't go. I wonder if they would let me sit the exam earlier that morning. Thanks for your help :D
    That's often the preferred way ... then once it hits the start time for the normal exam, they can forget about bodyguarding you.

That's often the preferred way ... then once it hits the start time for the normal exam, they can forget about bodyguarding you.

well i'd rather do the exam early than be in the funeral knowing I have to do it like. They'll probably keep me in the school until the actual exam starts will they?

That would be simpler for both of ye probably. How long is the exam? ... and what time is the funeral?

(Sorry for being nosey, just trying to think it through)

• Advertisement

Dont apologise, i appreciate this !

It's Spanish, so the written is from 9.30-12.00 and the aural from 12.10-12.50.

The funeral is at eleven.

I could even suggest doing the aural first? and then starting the written exam at 9.30 with everyone else. I do ordinary so it takes me less than an hour!

I'd say they will insist on you having the full allotted time regardless, or close to it anyway, but that's up to them.

Aural first sounds like a good idea.

Maybe suggest a 7 or 7.30 start ... then if you are finished by 9.30, which you probably will be, your super will be able to release you once the others have started.

Hmmm ... the aural (for the others) may constitute a problem though.

Theoretically, if classmates leave the exam early, they could get hints for the aural from you (not saying it would happen, but the SEC's responsibility is to close off all possibilities).

You may have to have a super with you for the morning ... it would be easier if it wasn't a language exam / split up.

Anyway ... make contact with them ASAP. It may even be worth emailing them now (SEC contact page). I'm not sure if this is Special Accom or Exam Supers & Centres, but sure put both email addresses in, and you have to be right! Given the time of year, there *might* even be someone in for an hour or two to-day to sort last minute things, tho' probably unlikely. Still ...

Make contact with your school ASAP tomorrow morning, and get them to contact SEC as well.

Best I can suggest anyway! :)

Thanks a million , i really appreciate this :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Given the time of year, there *might* even be someone in for an hour or two to-day to sort last minute things, tho' probably unlikely. Still ...
    AFAIK, at this time of year and right up til the LC results are out, the SEC is a 24 hour operation. You may not get on to speak to the 'right person' as they may be doing other things in other sections, but as soon as possible, someone will get the message.
    The 'Reasonable accommodation' section is at its busiest during the 'big' exams, but someone will respond to an Examinations secretary quickly. It's best if requests come in from an Examinations secretary than from a candidate.

got everything sorted :) thanks a million x

Advertisement