Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday pay saga

Options
  • 18-06-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I took a job with a company about a year ago. The pay was really bad (i.e 50% of what I was earning), but given the current climate and lack of opportunities, I took it and struggled by financially. It wasn't really in my field and a fairly junior position (I am almost 40!) but I swallowed my pride of having people younger / less experienced than me supervise and criticise my work. I have a big mortgage and a family so this took priority. After about 6 months in the job, another job came up, more relevant to my field / qualifications etc. and better paid, so I applied, was successful, and handed in my notice.
    The employer was devastated, I can see why cos he had someone with years of experience working on a very low salary, but the move was right for me. Upon leaving, I requested payment of my holiday pay, which they agreed, but after months and months of false promises and constant reneging, including a rather threatening phone call from my old employer (harping on about the financial situation employers find themselves in!), I referred this to the LRC - I gave them ample opportunity to pay my holiday pay, this wasn't something I Just reacted to first off. I have never done this before, but felt my old employer was trying to pull a fast one on me and I wasn't going to let it go. The funny thing is, I had absolutely no issues in the job, got on well with everyone, including my boss, and felt I left on good terms.
    When they were notified of the LRC hearing, they sent me a cheque out of the blue for the holiday pay - they obviously knew the game was up. The cover letter said they were disappointed that I had gone this far, and also threatened legal action, which I feel is totally unfounded, with an email I had sent them previously (It was after 3 months of constantly been promised something that never arrived). What's peoples thoughts on this? I have obviously ruled out any reference from this company (all my previous references are impeccable) and I may come across them again in future dealings within my field.
    I don't feel one bit bad about what I did - the employer broke the law by not paying me holiday pay. Should I just have let it go and left without my holiday pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't feel one bit sorry - they were withholding your pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Nope. You did the right thing. Let it go and forget about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You did right. Forget about it and enjoy your new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I wouldnt work about it, they were totally wrong and the fact that they threatened legal action on you just shows how far removed from reality they were.

they brought all the hassle on themselves, when someone leaves our place all entitlements are paid in their final wage payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I'd look at this way if you have impeccable references for, say 15 to 20 years work since yo are in your 40's then 1 years work with a tightwad in these hard times is not unusual or something to be ashamed of.

Too much credence is placed in the power of references in my opinion and they give too much power to employers to leverage more concessions from employees than there should be.

It is not morally right for an employer to try and welch out of paying holiday pay by threatening to give you a bad reference and I doubt if any sane boss would do so.

It is also well withing the bound of possibility that this companys reputation for delaying payment is known and would be taken into account if bad reports come from that direction. If your workload with that particular company is small the your other work will be taken into account when forming an impression of your overall performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

On the point of negative references, as far as i'm aware it is not permissible for a company to supply negative references. I could be corrected on this one, but I was with a company before and I had to give references for a number of former staff members and was told by my head office that i couldnt give negative ones by law. No idea where it says this in the statute book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Name and shame, them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Trashbat wrote: »
    On the point of negative references, as far as i'm aware it is not permissible for a company to supply negative references. I could be corrected on this one, but I was with a company before and I had to give references for a number of former staff members and was told by my head office that i couldnt give negative ones by law. No idea where it says this in the statute book though.

They cannot give you a negative reference without good reason - In the nicest possible way - you need to toughen up and when People attempt to walk all over you then let them know you're not a viable target for Bullies...... You deserve to and should fully expect to be treated in a certain manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If they want to give you a crap reference they will.

Paddy worked here for 5 years.
    His work was satisfactory.
    He left voluntarily.

Signed

Paddys boss

I saw this done to an ejit who tried to start a union in a shop years ago. All the staff were happy at work, no problems whatsoever, but this head kept waffling on about needing to be in a union.

He couldnt do anything about it. Anyone reading it would know there was something wrong, but it doesnt say it.

Advertisement