Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are 'Iron Fortified' Breakfast Cereals Vegetarian ?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I'm a runner who normally hangs around the Athletics/Running/Triathlon forums, and am also vegetarian. I train fairly hard and compete seriously and so my blood iron level is always a concern. I'm a fairly new 'convert' (2 years) and was taking an iron supplement for quite a while before I realised that it wasn't actually vegetarian (ferrograd c). I eventually found a vegetarian friendly supplement (ferrous fumerate I think), but that put me thinking about my other iron sources and cereals in particular. everywhere I look for list of good dietary sources of iron I see that the list includes 'fortified breakfast cereals' and I suppose my question is about whether the iron with which these cereals are fortified is vegetarian or not.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hi, the general issue with the supplements was that the capsule itself was not vegetarian as it was most likely made from gelatin. most breakfast cereals are fine; there are very few that contain gelatin (some frosted or different coloured cereals). it's highly unlikely, but if you don't see gelatin on the list, it's probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The better cereals to use as fortified ones would be ones without added sugars etc, the likes of cornflakes, rice krispies, cheerios.

Although as a hurler and runner myself, I would recommend having weetabix if looking for complex carbohydrate with a decent amount of iron to boot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are vegetarian Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Thanks all - the guidance is much appreciated !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Happy to help with any questions etc

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You could try Spatone which is Vegetarian Society approved iron supplement - it comes in liquid form which you can drink with juice or water. It's pricey in Ireland though so best to get it direct from their website www.spatone.com (about £6 for 28 day box as opposed to €12 here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Jesus! This gave me such a fright when I read it. But nope, I can happily tuck into my Coco Pops :)

Advertisement