Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lakes 10k, Blessington, September 25th 2010

• 18-06-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

The Lakes 10k is on again this year.

Last year was the first time it was run and the organisation was excellent. It was my favourite road race of last year marred only by the fact that I missed out on a sub 40 by 9 seconds when I still had fuel left in the tank. :rolleyes:

It's organised by the Lake Shore Striders club out in Blessington.

They're doing the same thing as they did last year with the option of getting a tecnical t-shirt or not. I'm a sucker for the technical t-shirt though.

28 euro for race and t-shirt.
    18 euro for race only.

Now if they don't have lemon and white chocolate muffins this year I'll be very disappointed.

Some comments from last year...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604709&page=1

How would you rate this race? 16 votes

Excellent
    0%
    Good
    100%
    heffsarmymtsannieeepetermijacksonestariolantomagooWhatsthisaboutAbhainnTheRoadRunnerbo-scoSlaphead_DAVID AKA MACKYSquorsBungy Girlivanski72ng7 16 votes
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Terrible
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Good
    I wonder are tech t-shirts the same as last years one or have they a 2010 model....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Excellent race. I hope they dont advertise it as flat this year. There is a big incline. Excellent organisation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Anyone run this last year and what's the course like - hilly etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

This is my favourite race of last year without a doubt. Lovely scenery around the lakes. The first 7k of this race is flat and very fast. Then there is a great challenging hill at around 7k which really takes it out of you but then you are back on the flat again for a fast finish. Initially I was thinking that a PB was on but realized that its all the better challenge for that hill and the muffins at the end of the race made it all worthwhile.

A really great race and a must do. Am gonna sign up defintely this year again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

mrslow wrote: »
    Anyone run this last year and what's the course like - hilly etc?

Thanks

Really enjoyed this event last year. Samba band at the start, lemon muffin at the finish. There is one hill. Don't remind me please. I have unfinished business with it but not this year. Apart from that of which I do not want to be reminded its a flowing course (up and down but nothing too extreme)

• Advertisement

Sounds tough, i thought the hill at Dunshaughlin on Saturday was hard - this is obviously worse. Hill training it is then!

Sounds tough, i thought the hill at Dunshaughlin on Saturday was hard - this is obviously worse. Hill training it is then!

It's steeper but not as long. There now, you made me remember:o

It's steeper but not as long. There now, you made me remember:o

It's better that you're reprepared rather than imagining that it was only a speed bump. I've just signed up! Bring it on!!!

It's better that you're reprepared rather than imagining that it was only a speed bump. I've just signed up! Bring it on!!!

Best of luck. On the whole it was a very enjoyable race. Will do it again, maybe next year, it doesn't fit in with my DCM schedule this year.

Best of luck. On the whole it was a very enjoyable race. Will do it again, maybe next year, it doesn't fit in with my DCM schedule this year.

First Marathon?

• Advertisement

First Marathon?

Only Marathon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Only Marathon ;)
    That's what they all say....

Only Marathon ;)

My friend's Father said he'd give the marathon a lash and after his first said he'd never do it again. He has since run 23 others including the London and New York marathons.

I've signed up but have a question - What's a 'tech' t shirt?

I've signed up but have a question - What's a 'tech' t shirt?

Its one of them there high-falutin' sweat-wicking yokes rather than the plain-old cotton moisture absorbing t-shirt

Its one of them there high-falutin' sweat-wicking yokes rather than the plain-old cotton moisture absorbing t-shirt

lol thanks!

My friend's Father said he'd give the marathon a lash and after his first said he'd never do it again. He has since run 23 others including the London and New York marathons.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The journey has begun my friend - one just won't be enough!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I take it its chip timed ????

I'm down to do a 10Km the day after but sure two in a row won't kill me, plus i'm racing my brother in law the day after so it will give him a fighting chance ha ha

I take it its chip timed ????

I'm down to do a 10Km the day after but sure two in a row won't kill me, plus i'm racing my brother in law the day after so it will give him a fighting chance ha ha

It was last year. Timing loop at start and finish. They even had a loop just before the finish and the race commentator was calling out individual names as they were coming into the finish line. Nice touch.

They didn't use mats, they had a cable suspended over the start and finish lines. Chip was on your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah chip timed and tech top optional(nice touch). Well organised start and finish. Lemon muffin, energy drinks at finish. Decent course with 1 hill at about 7.5km. Id rate this very highly.

It was last year. Timing loop at start and finish. They even had a loop just before the finish and the race commentator was calling out individual names as they were coming into the finish line. Nice touch.

They didn't use mats, they had a cable suspended over the start and finish lines. Chip was on your number.

Excuse my ignorance but - what's a timing loop?

Excuse my ignorance but - what's a timing loop?

Its the radio antenna that energises your chip as you cross the line and then detects the unique signal it sends out.

Its the radio antenna that energises your chip as you cross the line and then detects the unique signal it sends out.

Aha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good
    Just signed up for this (more on the promise of a lemon muffin than anything else :D). Can't find last year's results anywhere and was wondering if the course would be good for a PB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Good
    I've signed up for this. Just bumping it up - it's on next Saturday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ivanski72

Good
    Hey

I live in Blessington and have run the around the lake a few times, where is this big hill you are all talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

ivanski72 wrote: »
    Hey

I live in Blessington and have run the around the lake a few times, where is this big hill you are all talking about?

It's not a big hill really but it's not entirely pleasant either. If you start on the bridge and go in a clockwise direction (the race route) it's about 7k in (that's an estimate). So it's about 3k before the finish line.

It's not bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ivanski72

Good
    It's not a big hill really but it's not entirely pleasant either. If you start on the bridge and go in a clockwise direction (the race route) it's about 7k in (that's an estimate). So it's about 3k before the finish line.

It's not bad really.

Well, I had to do my long run yesterday (running DCM in Oct), ran the route a couple of times.
    And yes it is biggish hill and it is not entirely pleasant either. Normally I take a left when I cross the bridge from Blessington so I guess I never fully appreciated it.
    Anyway good luck to you all on Saturday, hope it goes well, weather is supposed to be kind too.

• Advertisement

Good
    ivanski72 wrote: »
    And yes it is biggish hill and it is not entirely pleasant either.

Thanks I had myself convinced that the hill wasn't as bad as I remembered and that it would not affect me this year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good
    Anybody have a link/pdf to last years results ?

Good
    Anybody have a link/pdf to last years results ?

http://www.lakeshorestriders.com/index.php/Latest/The-Lakes-10k.html

Scroll down about half way - pdf of results from 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Good
    When is registration closed for this?

Good
    bo-sco wrote: »
    When is registration closed for this?

Seems you can still enter online. 1 day left to register. No entries on the day.

http://www.thelakes10k.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Good
    annieee wrote: »
    Seems you can still enter online. 1 day left to register. No entries on the day.

Thanks! Gave my ankle a slight twist this evening. Want to wait and see how it is in the morning before deciding whether to run or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Thanks I had myself convinced that the hill wasn't as bad as I remembered and that it would not affect me this year :rolleyes:

Trust me it will effect everyone. It is a bitch of a hill. Comes after everyone has blasted 7k and it hits you just as fatigue is gripping. I remember the hill just as much as any I did at Connemara, Newry, Bogtrotters because in its own way its a killer as the fast flat 7k gives one a great feeling and it is a sneaky lurking killer...i died trying to keep up my pace...its our own heartbreak ridge!

Good
    i008787 wrote: »
    Trust me it will effect everyone. It is a bitch of a hill. Comes after everyone has blasted 7k and it hits you just as fatigue is gripping. I remember the hill just as much as any I did at Connemara, Newry, Bogtrotters because in its own way its a killer as the fast flat 7k gives one a great feeling and it is a sneaky lurking killer...i died trying to keep up my pace...its our own heartbreak ridge!

Jesus, you have me worried now. :eek::eek:

Best of luck to everyone running this morning. Looks like it's going to be dry.

Just having my porridge now. ;);)

Good
    Brilliant race today. Really well organised. Lots of Gardai and marshalls on hand directing cars in and out of car parks. Course was nice, one big hill at 6-7k but fast last 2k. Great to run of traffic free back roads. Great goody bag etc.

Free Ice creams at the end, I only heard them announcing this as I was pulling off in my car, dammit. I'll definitely be back and would recommend it to others.

Good
    Great race today. Very well organised, nice goodie bags, free ice-cream and muffins!! I ate my muffin on the way home in the car. Nicest. Muffin. EVER.

Nice route. Mutha ****a of a hill but I kicked it's ass. :P

Delighted with myself because I finally got my sub 50.

I'll be back next year! Well done to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 drakefan

This race is class - really nice course, just the one testing hill but if you pace yourself well up it you'll come home running. ran a PB, ate a muffin, listened to the deadly drummers, what more could you want?Will be back next year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good
    Just back from the race, very well organised just like last year and was glad to see the muffins making an apperance again. The hill was a balls breaker, but it was'nt too long, apart from that it was a nice course. It was nice too meet Abhainn and RoadRunner, we ran most of the way with together, it was a good little group we had going. I don't run many 10kms so it was nice pb. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Brilliant race today. Really well organised. Lots of Gardai and marshalls on hand directing cars in and out of car parks. Course was nice, one big hill at 6-7k but fast last 2k. Great to run of traffic free back roads. Great goody bag etc.

Free Ice creams at the end, I only heard them announcing this as I was pulling off in my car, dammit. I'll definitely be back and would recommend it to others.

Dont keep us in suspense, was it a PB? Where did you come?

Good
    Great race this morning - Very well organised as was last year, will be back next year. I paced myself nicely for "the hill". It still took some time from my total but still happy with my PB.

Good
    tunguska wrote: »
    Dont keep us in suspense, was it a PB? Where did you come?

No but wasn't too far away 5-10 seconds. Wasn't looking for a fast time today so I was pleasantly surprised at the finish.

I forgot to mention the km markers earlier. They were really visible and helped real off the distance. There was also some ironic signage on the hill that made me smile.

Good
    I wonder when the results will be available.....

Good
    I don't want to keep banging on about how good this race was but I've just finished milling my goodie bag out of it so my sugar levels are up and I'm in good form.

Seriously though this race cost 20 quid to enter which I thought was a little expensive at first but compared to the Irish runner 5 mile which is also 20 quid it is a steal. The amount of extras such as muffins, refreshments really give you a bit of bang for your buck. I think you could enter for 25 euro and get a technical tee shirt. They looked ok to me. All finishers got a medal, I'd prefer a t-shirt to the medal so maybe that is something the organisers could consider if it was cost effective. And finally this race seems is a club organised race with all profits going to a designated charity. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

Good
    best 10k ive ran in and set a personal best times of 33mins 40sec so i was over the moon with that and went home to kilkenny a happy man.Well organised race,a great cause,and lots of friendly support and tasty muffins :)))))) Well done to everyone today.Everyones a winner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good
    Brilliant race today, really well organised. Sorting people by predicted time at the start meant no congestion. Tough climb but some nice downhill to make up for it. Loved my muffin, nom nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Poll up on top now.

Good
    Chip times up on website now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement