Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best lense for a Canon 450D

• 18-06-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody has advice about buying a lens for the Canon 450D?

I'm looking for something that will cover most eventualities but I mostly take landscape shots so will maybe end up going for a wide angle lens. I've got completely frustrated with the standard 18-55mm lens that came with it.

Does anybody know what I should be looking at and where is best to buy?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

The Sigma 10-20 is a good buy for a wide angle lens. Also you should think about a 50mm f1.8, it's cheap and useful. Keep a look out on Adverts.ie, it's a good site for photography bargains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

frustrating how? not wide enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I've been eyeing up the 24-105 f4 L for a while now. Going for 999e most places at the moment. Good range, L glass and constant aperture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

CMACSAFF wrote: »
    Hi,

Was wondering if anybody has advice about buying a lens for the Canon 450D?

I'm looking for something that will cover most eventualities but I mostly take landscape shots so will maybe end up going for a wide angle lens. I've got completely frustrated with the standard 18-55mm lens that came with it.

Does anybody know what I should be looking at and where is best to buy?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.

To save typing, I will copy&paste magicbastarder's question:
    "frustrating how? not wide enough? "

The 18-55mm kit lens is reasonably good and wide enough for
    most landscape shots. You can buy better wide angle lenses,
    but the price of a good one can be alarmingly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CMACSAFF

Cheers hbr

Yeah it doesnt ever seem to give me the full shot as I see it - its always clipped - I'm also not always happy with the quality but I appreciate thats more likely down to me.

The lens seems to be neither one thing or the other - the zoom isnt great and as I say I'm not overly impressed with the landscape shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Cheers hbr

Yeah it doesnt ever seem to give me the full shot as I see it - its always clipped - I'm also not always happy with the quality but I appreciate thats more likely down to me.

The lens seems to be neither one thing or the other - the zoom isnt great and as I say I'm not overly impressed with the landscape shots.

The 18-55 kit lens isn't all that great, lacks sharpness, contrast, colour saturation etc. If you're doing serious landscape stuff, you'd want something a bit wider in the 10/12-20/24 range but you'd also want to be looking at a tripod
    and graduated neutral density filters. Depends on how seriously you want to take it. But decide on a focal length range first. Also pixel count on the 450D isn't terribly high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pixel count is 12.2MP - hardly a limiting factor?

The 18-55 kit lens isn't all that great, lacks sharpness, contrast, colour saturation etc. If you're doing serious landscape stuff, you'd want something a bit wider in the 10/12-20/24 range but you'd also want to be looking at a tripod
    and graduated neutral density filters.

Right I'm gonna be honest - I had to google what a graduated neutral density filter was!

But am I right in thinking that a better lens would not only give me wider shots but better quality as well?

I dont want to just buy a lens for the sake of it but I've played around with the camera settings and I'm still not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Forgive me for asking but do you feel that you are proficient with your camera and understand what it takes to take a properly focussed sharp photo?

I just get the impression that you might not be (again forgive me if I am wrong) and your issues might me more so technique and understanding than actually being lens related?

pixel count is 12.2MP - hardly a limiting factor?
    Would be if you were going for prints larger than 12 x 8 e.g 18 x 12. You'd want about 20MP for 18 x 12.
    Right I'm gonna be honest - I had to google what a graduated neutral density filter was!
    We all have to learn. BTW, I want to get into landscapes too so I've done a little research. :)
    But am I right in thinking that a better lens would not only give me wider shots but better quality as well?
    Not quite. The width or depth is determined by your focal length. If for instance you want lots of foreground in your shots to give a sense of depth, you'd need something wider that an 18mm (e.g 10 or 12mm) on a cropped sensor (APS-C). Quality is determined by the quality of the glass and you pay big money for quality glass!
    I dont want to just buy a lens for the sake of it but I've played around with the camera settings and I'm still not happy.
    Why don't you post a sample shot and tell us what you're not happy with?

• Advertisement

Well I'd definitely say I was a beginner but I've read a few books on it and been through the camera settings extensively. I also use it pretty regularly.

I'm not ruling out my lack of expertise but I honestly dont think that the lens gives me what I want.

I have also shown it to other people who have agreed. Not sure if that means anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

for my 400d I upgraded from the stock lens (after it fell down a flight of stairs) to the Sigma DC 17-70. Just wanted a handy day to day lens (wide to slight zoom) that balanced quality and price (200-300) and thats what i came up with. Oh and I did want a lower a lens with a lower fstop (2.8) bit more depth of field. The difference between it and the stock lens was extremely noticeable. Im not sure what others will say about it but I was very pleased. worth the price i thought

Why don't you post a sample shot and tell us what you're not happy with?

Will do when I get a chance!

Well I'd definitely say I was a beginner but I've read a few books on it and been through the camera settings extensively. I also use it pretty regularly.
    I presume you've used a tripod and small aperture (e.g. f/16) to get good depth of field and sharpness? Low ISO, self-timer, mirror-lockup?

I presume you've used a tripod and small aperture (e.g. f/16) to get good depth of field and sharpness? Low ISO, self-timer, mirror-lockup?

Yeah used all of those

kelly1 wrote: »
    Would be if you were going for prints larger than 12 x 8 e.g 18 x 12. You'd want about 20MP for 18 x 12.
    i've printed up to bigger than A2 on canvas of an 8MP scan from slide, with no real issues. 12MP is absolutely fine for 18x12, and larger.

i've printed up to bigger than A2 on canvas of an 8MP scan from slide, with no real issues. 12MP is absolutely fine for 18x12, and larger.

I'm confused now! I thought you needed 300PPI for decent print quality
    and 18 x 12 translates to 5400 x 3600 pixels = 19.4MP

No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Cheers hbr

Just going off on a slightly different tack... You can take wide landscape
    shots by mounting the camera on a tripod and making a panorama out
    of two or more shots. A simple panorama of two or three shots will
    have the same image quality limitations as a single shot. You can
    get improved image quality by making an image from a huge array
    of shots, stitching them together and then shrinking the end result
    down to a few Mp or even a few tens of Mp if you like.

Like you, I sometimes find I can't get the shot I want using the
    standard kit lens. I couple of weeks ago, I was trying to get a
    shot of the old Cork Bonded Warehouses in the evening
    when the little light that was available was on the opposite side
    of the building. After several attempts with a Canon 18-135mmn
    lens, I found that any shot that showed the full length of the
    building was lacking in detail and noisy. I eventually used a
    Canon 50mm f/2.5 macro lens which is noticeably sharper
    than the 18-55mm or the 18-135mm and took two shots. These
    were later stitched together using Hugin. It still isn't a great
    shot, but it would not have been possible at all using the kit
    lens. http://pix.ie/corkpix/1722637

I'm confused now! I thought you needed 300PPI for decent print quality
    and 18 x 12 translates to 5400 x 3600 pixels = 19.4MP
    stcstc is the man to explain this, but basically, afaik, 300dpi is pretty standard for reproduction, etc., and that's to allow for a context where people will be looking at the print from a foot or so away. if you're framing a print (which i assume would the destination of an 18x12 print), people will only very occasionally look at it from the same distance, so you can get away with lower print resolution, or by increasing the image size in PS and tweaking it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Are you having a laugh? You're seriously saying you think you'd require a 20mp sensor, to print above 18 x 12?

I shoot with a 10.2mp camera. One of my pictures is hanging across 3 canvases in a guy's house in England, I think the full width is 60"+ and it looks amazing.

I've printed up to 10 x 15 myself, just normal matte prints. And they turn out brill.

Nonsense, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

24-105L is what you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

for landscape I agree, a 10mm or thereabouts is what you want since its equivalent on the 450D is a 16mm.

once you get up to 24mm on the 450D you're shooting with what is essentially a 38mm lens, not particularly wide at all.

Are you having a laugh? You're seriously saying you think you'd require a 20mp sensor, to print above 18 x 12?

I shoot with a 10.2mp camera. One of my pictures is hanging across 3 canvases in a guy's house in England, I think the full width is 60"+ and it looks amazing.

I've printed up to 10 x 15 myself, just normal matte prints. And they turn out brill.

Nonsense, sorry.

I have to admit I haven't done any prints larger that 12 x 8 but if you want to print at 300ppi, you'd need 19.4MP for 18 x 12 (5400 x 3600). Of course if you're not looking at it close up, you could use less than 300ppi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I've printed up to A3 with images from my 450D and they're perfect. Even up close. The only time I've had better results was about 15 years ago printing shots from a 120mm bronica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Have a look at the Tamron 18-270 IS Macro Lens. It covers the whole range from wide to fairly long zoom. You should get one for about €500

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

People often overlook the potential of the telephoto lens in landscape photography.
    They let you do a lot more with a few interesting foreground and background elements.
    Wide angle shots tend to be big and empty unless you have some amazing scenery and a spectacular sky with a polariser making those clouds pop out.

The 18-55 has a lot of sharpness and chromatic aberration issues around 18mm.
    That's not to say its a terrible lens. Also I've heard good things about the MkII version.

+1 for showing us an example!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I have to admit I haven't done any prints larger that 12 x 8 but if you want to print at 300ppi, you'd need 19.4MP for 18 x 12 (5400 x 3600). Of course if you're not looking at it close up, you could use less than 300ppi.

For our recent collections for the fund raiser, we had 2 6ft posters of our daughter printed - The image used was one I took of her and heavily cropped down so it's just her in the picture. Even on close inspection they are smooth as butter. not a pixel to be seen. I think you underestimate lower end Dslr sensors. Unless you want Billboard sized prints, 10mp is sufficient.

Advertisement