Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filters

• 18-06-2010 12:00pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good filter for 70-200 canon l series 2.8. Cheap but good

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as in skylight filter?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

as in skylight filter?

To protect the glass and lens

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

To be honest, with an absolute peach of a lens like that it'd be criminal to compromise on the filter :D

Personally, I've always found Hoya good value for money - I used to buy the Pro1D series but switched more recently the HD series - the coatings are as good as any other hoya filter but they are super tough and remarkably easy to clean unlike some other multi-coated filters.

Although I wouldn't describe either as cheap, it's worthwhile checking Amazon as I've picked up some bargains on HD filters there recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I've been looking to take sunset pictures recently but I cannot capture the colours the eye can see. I am just wondering what filter will "fix" this. My widest lens is my 52mm 18-55 kit lens so I would need a filter to fit that.

Thanks,
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres a technique to capturing the colours of a sunset.

ND grad filter (+0.9 works best I think) , tripod, remote/timer .... good positioning, correct exposure.

alternatively learn how to post process to get the correct effect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

You need a tripod first off. All the filters/cameras/lenses in the world won't "fix" your pic like a tripod will!! So use a tripod.

You have a few options after that to help expose the sunset correctly after that. The two main ones are to either use ND Grad flters or to take a correctly exposed pic of the foreground, another of the sunset and then blend them together afterwards in photoshop.

Both are easy enough to do once you get the hang of it. It looks a little more realistic when you use the filters although it can be difficult to tell the difference between a filtered and photoshopped image if it's done well.

You could need anything from a 1 stop ND Grad up to 5 or 6 stop depending on how bright the sun is. The most common filters are 1, 2 and 3 stop filters so you can stack 2 x 3 stop filters on top of each other and this gives you a 6 stop filter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Or shoot without any filters at all, but set your exposure compensation down. Anything from 1/3 to 2/3, depending on the light.

Here's an example shot without use of any filters or any major PP work.

4457108750_3fc7b12509_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

ECC7C114FCB94A63A1A3955F34359F6C-800.jpg
    Here is one I took in April just changing the exposure to -2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Or try to use clouds to your advantage ...

686364141_d26ee894d2.jpg

686362635_930e11cd05.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The pics above (except Daire's of the clouds where a filter would have brought a little detail into the island if required) are not ideal situations to use filters as the foreground is lit up completely with the sun so there is no need of filters.

Using a high f stop like Jakobyte's pic also gives a nicer star glow to the sun rather than blowing it out into an orange mess but just underexposing by 2 stops makes everything else very dark.

The pic below also gives an idea of when you need a filter. You don't have to use one of course but I prefer the look it gives in the filtered pic below.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz!!

4720119163_43a38afec7_b.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement