Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured bird help needed

Options
  • 18-06-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hey just found a bird on the road that seemed to be struggling. I thought he was going to get hit by a car so I picked him up. After looking at him I cant find any obvious injuries but something must be wrong as he cant fly. I dont really know what to do with him but dont want to see him die.

Any advice really welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If you can bring him to the vet they will hopefully just take him in and treat him for free. There's often not much they can do for him though, but if he is seriously injured they could put him to sleep, which would be better than him suffering. Hopefully they can do something.

Until then you can put him in a cardboard box or something in a quiet dark warm place, with a bowl of sugary water. Don't handle him too much and keep away from him to stress him out as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Tribesmen7 wrote: »
    Hey just found a bird on the road that seemed to be struggling. I thought he was going to get hit by a car so I picked him up. After looking at him I cant find any obvious injuries but something must be wrong as he cant fly. I dont really know what to do with him but dont want to see him die.

Any advice really welcome. Thanks

Is it possible that its just a young bird that just left the nest:confused: He might not be injured at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

All the info you need right here:

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

If there are no obvious injuries apart from not being able to fly it could be a young bird who has not learned to fly yet. I recently read that young birds can spend up to two weeks on the ground being fed by the parents before they learn to fly for themselves

Advertisement