Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 12 - "The Pandorica Opens"

Options
  • 18-06-2010 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

In before pixelburp :D

Well the series is coming to a close (:() but knowing Moffat's reputation and seeing everything that's pre-empted the finale, I think it's fair to say we won't be disappointed.

The Pandorica, explosion big enough to crack the universe, broken piece of the Tardis, all still to come, maybe not this week but damn it's going to be good

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    In before pixelburp :D

Curse your googly beard sir! I challenge you to fisticuffs! And there was me coming in to start the usual thread :P

Yes, I'm always a bit ho-hum about the finales, they always seem to throw in the kitchen sink and become horribly overblown. If there's a menagerie of the Doctor's enemies involved, I guess this is no different :(

Also: Zygons! ooh that'd be sweet if they turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thanks for putting this up!

Do I recognise that box from somewhere? The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the box was "Hey, I know that from somewhere!" So am I just imagining it, or does anyone else recognise it?

Also crap! Because this will be a two parter (it will, won't it?) and I'll miss the second part :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Daleks, cybermen, nestine, Slitheen, Sontarans...

All it needs is sodding Rose and it'll be a finale RTD could be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Lets hold back the criticism until we see it... I for one have faith in Moffat - he hasn't led us astray yet this season (with the possible exception of the Daleks episode)...

40 mins to go, can't wait! (despite my reservations about the kitchen sink).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dancingmonkey08

I have been waiting all week for this! Its gonna be awesome

I want to see if Moffat can do an awesome penultimate episode cliffhanger? I know RTD wrote some silly plots and the second part of the two parters were mostly letdowns, but you cant deny he always wrote awesome cliffhangers

I am also worried about the amount of villains in this episode. I hope there is a point to them being in it.
    I understand if the Doctor's enemies are trying to put him in the Pandorica but why would the Weevils or the aliens from Warriors of Kudlak be in it, they have no beef with the Doctor. We shall see in the next hour anyway!

Bring on the awesomeness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I thought there was a mistake when I saw Van Gogh in the opening scene.

OMG It's linking all of the previous eps together!

Was that just a reference to Captain Jack?

This... is going to be awesome!

Ok... what.... WHAT?!...

WHAAAATTT???!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

what the.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Achilles wrote: »
    Ok... what.... WHAT?!...

WHAAAATTT???!!!!

Thats what I said too......

• Advertisement

It's was brilliant up right up to the point where the Mighty Morphin' Power Daleks showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Thats what I said too......

Frankly, I think everyone probably did. I really need to rewatch all the previous episodes and remember everything that happened before

:eek::confused:!!!! I can't watch part 2 when it airs next week, I think I may die of anticipation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dancingmonkey08

I share everybody elses opinion: WTF?!!!

That episode, right there, is the reason I love Doctor Who

The Doctor locked away by his enemies, because they are trying to save the universe! Wow, ironic is an understatement. I am so happy with this episode!

See? This is what happens when sci fi lets the woman drive... first the Enterprise D (damn you Deana) and now River Song and the tardis....

Bloody woman drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw

Check out the headline :eek:

Surely has to be a red herring :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great stuff - most promising finale of the new season so far (then again I've never really liked any of the others).

Despite there being a "Who's Who" of villains in it (and many shoutouts to the likes of the Zygons and Draconians for the older fan), it didn't feel too OTT until, perhaps, the end when they all turned up. However, what a lovely ironic spin on it! The Doctor being cast as the villain. Nice touch.

Stuff with Rory was done well too. I loved the Doctor's belated reaction to him and his "How have you been?" I reckon a previous season would have had him shouting and dancing and prancing at that point. The Roman Autons was good stuff (especially as I only recently watched "Spearhead From Space").

Tying a lot of it into Amy's story was good. I want to see more of this. Also more of River Song - it'd be interesting to see her chronology worked out.
    Stark wrote: »
    It's was brilliant up right up to the point where the Mighty Morphin' Power Daleks showed up.
    I actually groaned aloud when I saw them. However, they weren't of much importance in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OH. WOW.

Russell T. who? Now that's how you do a finale - epic yet personal at the same time. Our heroes are in a genuinely threatening situation that isn't diluted by being too incomprehensible (eg. a world full of Masters) by its scale. Also, it isn't a big mcGuffin like "Bad Wolf" that had a weak and terrible pay-off.

I guessed the twist of the Pandorica as soon as the Doctor started to describe it, but the moment where he himself realises what is happening, surrounded by his enemies, was sublime.

Also: Commander Styke(sp), yay! Ok, it's a clone of him, but still, same difference it's great to see him back. And the Autons were back too, it was great to see them used properly & finally we can banish the horrible memories of that plastic rubbish-bin to history.

Also also, we finally get a look at the horror of the cybermen - the horribly rotting skull popping out of the cyberhead was just gross :D

Also also also, you really see how terrible those dalek design are, standing beside all the other Dr. Who creatures from the new series - they really are dreadful against the Sontarans or Judoon

Also also also also
    - Rory! Amy! No "Next Time" trailer. It's going to be a long week.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Brilliant episode , can wait for next week. Think I'll all the episodes again .

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

anyone else annoyed about the "not available in you area" .( yes I know could user a proxy a stuff) I want to see this and I can't.

• Advertisement

I definitely remember hearing that
    Karen Gillan's signed for another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was awesome... Can't wait for next week...
    I was so glad to see Rory back, but had been thinking it was a bit of a cop out, and then they explained it really well and then Amy remembering was great...
    WOW!!!
    I really want it to be next Saturday already... If only I had my own TARDIS...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I definitely remember hearing that
    Karen Gillan's signed for another series.

Just because shes signed on does not mean she is going to appear, just that she has to if the bbc wants her to. Although, they have annouced she will be back, but they need not specify whether that would be 1 or 2 appearances or as a full time companion;plus, that could be red herring.

A part of me wishes after seeing that, that this was the end of Doctor Who. Would be an outstanding ending- it would certainly fit in with theme that the Doctor is both the universes greatest saviour , and its greatest threat. But as it is obviously not the last ever episode...
    A[very small] part of me is doubtful about wanting to see next weeks episode. I just can't imagine any way to top this episode, and fear a giant deus-ex to wrap it up, but if anyone can pull it off properly, its Moffat!
    But even if a deas-ex neccessary to continue on the story , I hope at least the finales events have consequences,unlike RTD finales, which were hyped to death, and once over were of little to no importance on the characters afterwards. That could be the way Moffat truely stamps his mark on the shows legacy, although he arguably already has, considering how superior this season has been by miles to any RTD seasons.Sorry for the rambling!

Also, for a split second, when the music was just drums at one stage, I thought John Simm was about to jump out from behind a rock, I was shaking in horror for that second :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Oh. My. God.

Thank you Steven Moffat, you are a genius. I seriously need to watch that again, that was brilliant.

Sooo can't wait for next week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

A part of me wishes after seeing that, that this was the end of Doctor Who. Would be an outstanding ending- it would certainly fit in with theme that the Doctor is both the universes greatest saviour , and its greatest threat. But as it is obviously not the last ever episode...
    I was thinking that as well. If they were ever going to finish Dr Who for good, that would have been the way to do it

Just because shes signed on does not mean she is going to appear, just that she has to if the bbc wants her to. Although, they have annouced she will be back, but they need not specify whether that would be 1 or 2 appearances or as a full time companion;plus, that could be red herring.
    Oooh it's all so nerve wrecking! I should be studying for my last LC exam, not thinking about this... >.>

Oooh it's all so nerve wrecking! I should be studying for my last LC exam, not thinking about this... >.>

Same, still have 2 exams left and not done until Weds, Who has been one of the few things keeping me sane this weekend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!

*jaw drops*

Best Who episode in a looonnnnnng time!

WOwza.

That's how you do every alien but the kitchen sink Russel. WOW!

And great performance by Smith. What a Doctor like. Amazing. Cannot contain myself until next week.

Advertisement