Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Chemistry 2010 predictions?

• 18-06-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey i'm just wondering what everyone has tipped for Chemistry this year, especially for the experiments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bmcq

Q1: Bleach/EDTA
    Q2: Ethanal/Steam distillation/soap
    Q3: Equillibrium experiemnt/winkler/volatile liquid/recrystallisation of benzoic acid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I posted this a while ago so I hope you don't mind if I just copy and paste it in again

My teacher reckons he'l put a small Q on bleach somewhere on the paper (not 1,2 or 3) this year so that'l stop all the speculations about when its gonna come up, and then he'l put it as an experiment Q in the next few years to spring it on people when their not expecting it! biggrin.gif She thinks this year water, volatile liquid, ethanal or benzoic acid will come up. She thinks redox reactions has a chance too. Well just about everything in the book she says ''has an outside chance'', you'd be going over a few things and she'd keep saying 'well this has an outside chance'. biggrin.gif

She seems to be fairly in this guy's head and isin't usually too far wrong. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

Planning on cramming soap, EDTA and ethanal/ethanoic and then ingesting the rest of the book the night before so I'll have some chance of reguritating bits of it come Tuesday afternoon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shwagga

Is it unrealistic to assume I can sit the higher level paper? I only took up chemistry in October, went to a few classes and got meningitis at the start of december. So, I was out of school for 3 weeks. I had 1 and a half months of classes before my mock in February, but I dropped it afterwards because I have 9 subjects already. But I did get a C1 in the mocks. A girl I know suggested that I do sit the paper, incase I want to re-apply for Medicine or Dietetics in the Uk next year.

So, is the course crammable in a weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

shwagga wrote: »
    Is it unrealistic to assume I can sit the higher level paper? I only took up chemistry in October, went to a few classes and got meningitis at the start of december. So, I was out of school for 3 weeks. I had 1 and a half months of classes before my mock in February, but I dropped it afterwards because I have 9 subjects already. But I did get a C1 in the mocks. A girl I know suggested that I do sit the paper, incase I want to re-apply for Medicine or Dietetics in the Uk next year.

Not if you want to do well... and if you're applying for either of those courses you'll probably need an A in it...
    Although if you're just looking to pass it's possible! Get studyin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

Planning on cramming soap, EDTA and ethanal/ethanoic and then ingesting the rest of the book the night before so I'll have some chance of reguritating bits of it come Tuesday afternoon :D

You'll have a mighty fine toxic covered paper so :D I think I'll do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

I think it is crammable. My teacher told me to only learn a realistic amount in the time I have. But I believe everything is possible. As the old story goes:

''How long will it take you to learn a new language?''
    ''Well when's the exam?''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Personally i wudnt, there is the risk of not doing well cos the paper is tricky, like a girl in my year got a D2 in the mock and our teacher said if there was no improvement she'd have to drop, it's a really tough paper. But with a little bit of faith you never know what cud happen!!! See how u feel! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I dont know If I'd bother, It is such a stressful and tough paper and I dont know about you but I know I'd be sh!tting a brick going in had I not studied my brains out.

Suppose the question is, worst comes to worst, would you regret sitting it if you end up failing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jtots

I think you should go for it. If you got a C1 in that time you'll pass no bother and with 9 extra subjects it's not going to bring down your score outta six hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I managed to fit a LC HL subject into 6 months after I received an offer from UCAS.... and I realised there's a LOT you can get done in the space of just a few days.

If you got a C1 in the mocks then go for it, you probably did a lot better than other people who have done it since the start of 5th year!

I'd say go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I personally think it's crammable. Although it is a tough and tricky exam, there's not much nasty suprises after 8 years since the sylabus was introduced. Imo, if you just learn the predictable questions, you'll get at least a C. It's just difficult when you try to aim B+ as the obscure questions and the questions which involves thinking, will drag you down

If you look at titrations, the precautions and most of the calculations are identical.

The other experiments are easy enough to remember but that's because I did them personally so it might be different for you.

Not gonna talk about Short Qs. Then Q5 is pretty nice, very repetitive over the years. (if I have to write the goddamn defintion for "Electronegativity" again, I'm gonna snap) Fuels & heats of Rtn. is my fav question, got full marks in the mocks.

Water/PH is a full question every year I think (or at least half). Pretty straightforward. They usually just ask about the two treatments & BOD.

For my 8th question, I'm hoping Chem equilibrium will come up as at least half a question + some of my common sense. Got rates of rtn. covered as well.

My teacher keep insisting that we all do the general organic question, but I gave up a month ago. I just hate learning it and found it a waste of time. It's definitely an option if you're good at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jtots

bmcq wrote: »
    Q1: Bleach/EDTA
    Q2: Ethanal/Steam distillation/soap
    Q3: Equillibrium experiemnt/winkler/volatile liquid/recrystallisation of benzoic acid

What do you mean by the Equilibrium exp? Do we have to learn one formula or all of them? Or is there other things they can ask on that in the exp part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trackmedown

my teacher is convinced one of the water titrations will be up and chemical equilibrium will be a full Q in section b (which will include the calculation when your given Kc) and rates will only be half a question (hopefully not though i HATE equilibrium!) oh and that the heat of neutralisation calculation will be up.

Possibly the relative molecular mass one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

zam wrote: »
    Possibly the relative molecular mass one..
    Is that where you identify the element? A lot of the Q1s are verry similiar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Killio9

whaats everyone reckon for question 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

theowen wrote: »
    Is that where you identify the element? A lot of the Q1s are verry similiar...

That's been predicted for the question 3.
    It's the one where you weigh the mass of the conical flask. tin foil and band, and then put the liquid in, cover the lid with a rubber band and tin foil, pierce hole in tin foil, heat until liquid evaporates, let cool and reweigh. Relative molecular mass is the difference between the two weights.

Oh and then the volume is just filling up the conical flask with water and adding it to a graduated cylinder, then reading volume.

I'll be so happy if that experiment comes up, I think it must be one of the easier ones on the course.. but I probably think that because I don't have to remember any names of chemicals.... that's where I fall down, always get them mixed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

jtots wrote: »
    What do you mean by the Equilibrium exp? Do we have to learn one formula or all of them? Or is there other things they can ask on that in the exp part?

Yeah you have to learn all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Killio9 wrote: »

Whatever it is, it'll be horrible!!!

I hate all that that theoretical sh!t! Like I'm going for the A1 but if I were to do that question I'd probably only get like max of 20 on it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

That's been predicted for the question 3.
    It's the one where you weigh the mass of the conical flask. tin foil and band, and then put the liquid in, cover the lid with a rubber band and tin foil, pierce hole in tin foil, heat until liquid evaporates, let cool and reweigh. Relative molecular mass is the difference between the two weights.

Oh and then the volume is just filling up the conical flask with water and adding it to a graduated cylinder, then reading volume.

I'll be so happy if that experiment comes up, I think it must be one of the easier ones on the course.. but I probably think that because I don't have to remember any names of chemicals.... that's where I fall down, always get them mixed up!

oh god if that comes up im sorted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Killio9

lc2010 wrote: »

I hate all that that theoretical sh!t! Like I'm going for the A1 but if I were to do that question I'd probably only get like max of 20 on it!!!!

i know im going for the a1 aswell! but id still far prefer question 5 to types of reaction in organic chem though...that chapter in my opinion is a sack of horse sh1t!

lc2010 wrote: »

Yeah my grind says people always do pretty badly on that question and the marking scheme can be kinda odd, so if you do it you should go for an extra question as well. That being said it's so predictable and nearly always the same questions and answers appear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

the only time i like Q5 is when Bohr is on it!
    took chem up this year and christ is it hard!
    bless the person that started off organic chem cos it's the easiest thing inb the course.

I'm not ruling out (neither is my teacher) that they could put organic exp in Q2 and Q3 as it hasnt been done in 3/4 years.....
    I'd be in hevan if they did that! lol

only thing i really hate is the reactions in organic, and equilibrium. like i understand equilibrium but sometimes the calculations just don't work for me. grrr....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Absolutely hate chemistry, my biggest regret of my life. And it's my last exam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

benzoic acid would be lovely...easiest experiment by far! hopefully ethanol,ethanal for organic, nice Q4...whatever else hoping for a c3..should be studying but the fecking world cup haha:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shakeyabonbon

Killio9 wrote: »
    something with a diagram in it

Advertisement