Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicked!

• 18-06-2010 1:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭

..............Yesterday afternoon from the bicycle shed outside the main entrance of Vincents Hosp. 3pm. Daylight robbery. In for 45 minutes visiting my mother, cable lock (I know, not worth a shyte) sliced neatly.
    DMR V8 red pedals. Planet X saddle. Tubus rack and Carradice rack bag.
    6 months old.
    Trek Valencia 17.5 inch frame.
    Gone.........I won't see it again. I've never watched bikes passing me by as closely now :)
    P1010049.jpg

P1000963.jpg

It'll be a tool like the scally above, :)sc-140406-050a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Oh that sucks so much man. But you knew about the cable lock and near Vincent Hospital is quite a dodgy area :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Did you report it to the hospital admin?

There's an active staff Bicycle Users' Group (BUG) in Vincent's, so I'd be surprised if they didn't have CCTV at the very least. I know they just replaced their poxy old cycle parking with sheltered Sheffield stands in a few locations- I presume it was one of these?

I live close enough- I'll keep my eyes peeled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That sucks planet x, are you going to wait for it to turn up or just get another? At least now you can get it in the right size :)

+1 on what Bob says, there is plenty of security around there so you might be able to get some footage. I always thought that place was reasonably safe, loads of people out smoking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

"I won't see it again"

You might, I know two people who found their bikes months later.
    The first found the bike locked up on O'Connel St.
    The other was passed by a rider one day, who was duly stripped of his bike (bike was distinctive and unique)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Did you report it to the hospital admin?

There's an active staff Bicycle Users' Group (BUG) in Vincent's, so I'd be surprised if they didn't have CCTV at the very least. I know they just replaced their poxy old cycle parking with sheltered Sheffield stands in a few locations- I presume it was one of these?

I live close enough- I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Cheers.

Yes, I got on to security straight away. Was brought into the security office just inside the main entrance, screens everywhere except on the bike shed. Filled out the form etc etc.
    I suppose as everywhere, you 'Park at your own risk"
    The head security guy told me that it was a very regular occurrence. Nothing much they can do about it. People everywhere about the place. It's a good one.
    I'd be tempted to go down and sit a 100yds. away and watch. If "one" was to lay a trap for this/these c's it'd be easy to nail them.
    A swift hurley (have about 6 in the house as two kids play hurley) across the front of the legs and head...........

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear of your loss. I work near to there so I'll keep an eye out on my commute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Y'see, I bought a Kryptonite New York when I bought the bike. Gave it to my daughter when she got her new bike for her birthday in January, she cycles to school. A rare occurrence these days. To see kids cycling to school. :) so , she has the Kryptonite.
    Younger son, who also cycles to school (what a cruel bastard I am :) has the cable lock (which is now dangling from the rack in Vincents). I borrowed this yesterday afternoon..........and hey presto! They saw me a comin"

Good way to get rid of a cable lock for once and for all.
    Another Kryptonite on the way from ChainReaction as I type.

C'mon Algeria!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Find the closest couple of Garda stations and call into them over the next couple of days (and then a few days later)- chances are the person who did it is known to Gardai and there is a (albeit slight) chance he was stopped on it and taken from him and the Guards have no way to get in touch with you. Ask have they taken in any bikes recently and can you have a look for yours - can't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Planet X wrote: »
    Another Kryptonite on the way from ChainReaction as I type.

The Kryptonite mini is currently GBP49 shipped from amazon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

ill keep my eyes peeled working in a bike shop and often get people asking
    " here mate how much dya think ill get for this"
    sorry to hear about it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Planet X wrote: »
    Cheers.

Yes, I got on to security straight away. Was brought into the security office just inside the main entrance, screens everywhere except on the bike shed. Filled out the form etc etc.
    I suppose as everywhere, you 'Park at your own risk"
    The head security guy told me that it was a very regular occurrence. Nothing much they can do about it. People everywhere about the place. It's a good one.
    I'd be tempted to go down and sit a 100yds. away and watch. If "one" was to lay a trap for this/these c's it'd be easy to nail them.
    A swift hurley (have about 6 in the house as two kids play hurley) across the front of the legs and head...........

Regular occurrance .... cameras everywhere - EXCEPT ont the bike shed..... and they think there is nothing they can do .

its just a suggestion ...put cameras on the frickin bike shed ...and even hidden cameras inside the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

"cable lock (I know, not worth a shyte) sliced neatly."

Someone cut through my girlfriends "king"-something cable lock tonight. Luckily for her, the bike was also secured with the kryptonite u-lock I gave her recently, so she was able to ride it home. Just dropped her around another big hefty chain incase the ****ers plan to do the spiral locks tonight, then come back with a jack to pop U-locks tommorow. This was outside the abbey theatre, no idea what time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Take the axe. You'll be on the way to get it sharpened, so it won't be premeditated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

sgriffin wrote: »
    ill keep my eyes peeled working in a bike shop and often get people asking
    " here mate how much dya think ill get for this"

3 to 6, i hope ya Ba$tard...:D

used to get the same in the shop i worked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

SubLuminal wrote: »
    "cable lock (I know, not worth a shyte) sliced neatly."

Someone cut through my girlfriends "king"-something cable lock tonight. Luckily for her, the bike was also secured with the kryptonite u-lock I gave her recently, so she was able to ride it home. Just dropped her around another big hefty chain incase the ****ers plan to do the spiral locks tonight, then come back with a jack to pop U-locks tommorow. This was outside the abbey theatre, no idea what time though.

quick, light, convenient, for bike thieves. All cable locks and most knuckle/cable locks will be cut thru in less then 10 mins(and that is being nice about it.) I cant get over peoples attitude with the lock choice(oh thats expensive or its to heavy) FFS.

Abus and Krypto and nothing less, are there better locks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Karma wrote: »
    quick, light, convenient, for bike thieves. All cable locks and most knuckle/cable locks will be cut thru in less then 10 mins(and that is being nice about it.) I cant get over peoples attitude with the lock choice(oh thats expensive or its to heavy) FFS.

A mini angle grinder is going to cut through anything you can shackle a bike with.

Hide the bike inside work, locked is about as safe as you can get...
    If they want your bike enough they will take it.:mad:

Luckily enough where I work I have secure bycle parking. Bit of a pisser for someone working in the city centre and trying to lock up your bike somewhere safe.

All you hope to do is put good locks on the bike and hope they steal the badly locked up one beside yours.

uberpixie wrote: »
    A mini angle grinder is going to cut through anything you can shackle a bike with.

Hide the bike inside work, locked is about as safe as you can get...
    If they want your bike enough they will take it.:mad:

Luckily enough where I work I have secure bycle parking. Bit of a pisser for someone working in the city centre and trying to lock up your bike somewhere safe.

All you hope to do is put good locks on the bike and hope they steal the badly locked up one beside yours.

Could use the free and CCTV'd bike park DCC have provided in Dublin City Centre. Might not be ideal though depending where you are in the city but it's definitely a good service.

Karma wrote: »
    quick, light, convenient, for bike thieves. All cable locks and most knuckle/cable locks will be cut thru in less then 10 seconds (and that is being nice about it.) I cant get over peoples attitude with the lock choice(oh thats expensive or its to heavy) FFS.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

uberpixie wrote: »

There are far fewer thieves with an angle grinder than with a bolt cutters or hammer though.

Anyone actually had their bike stolen this way?

Anyone had an Abus or yellow Kryptonite taken out by angle grinder or other method?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

OP,

Sorry to hear bout bike. I recently had my Giant FCR3 taken from mount brown, kilmainham. I had a cable lock too. I know, I know.. I was asking for it to be robbed, right!?

I think i'm replacing with e Felt F95 so i'll need a good lock for that..

Are these Kryptonite locks ye speak of the business? The evolution series looks to be the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

techguy wrote: »
    Are these Kryptonite locks ye speak of the business? The evolution series looks to be the job?

The Fahgettaboudit is a great lock, but very heavy and can't be frame-mounted, though it can be rack-mounted (in my case anyway).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65898221&postcount=28

Some prices for Kryptonite locks:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66197125&postcount=38

The yellow and orange series are all highly rated. The grey series (such as the Kryptolok) are ok; they'd put up a bit of a fight if someone tried to steal the bike, and definitely better than a cable lock.

Advertisement