Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

application for licence with road traffic convictions

Options
  • 18-06-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

hi everyone first off i have had a gun licence for a year now but on the new licence form i filled in section 2.4 on the new form that i had no convictions but i have road traffic convictions(no insurance) but i had forgot about them because they happened a good few year ago and now i have got a letter of the local sergeant saying that he wants me to contact him to discuss the issue as it might have a bearing on me being granted a licence i was not trying to defraud the system i genuinely forgot about the convictions

my question is if i explain all this to the sergeant will traffic convictions stop me from getting a licence under the new system why i am asking here is because the sergeant i have to see will not be back in until monday and i want a rough ideal where i stand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

shouldnt be a problem seen as they granted you the licence already but id say your in for a nice grilling for not filling it in on the form and i would say he will want to check you out face to face to see what your attitude is like so be on your best behavour and dont where a hoody:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

smokin ace wrote: »
    hi everyone first off i have had a gun licence for a year now but on the new licence form i filled in section 2.4 on the new form that i had no convictions but i have road traffic convictions(no insurance) but i had forgot about them because they happened a good few year ago and now i have got a letter of the local sergeant saying that he wants me to contact him to discuss the issue as it might have a bearing on me being granted a licence i was not trying to defraud the system i genuinely forgot about the convictions

my question is if i explain all this to the sergeant will traffic convictions stop me from getting a licence under the new system why i am asking here is because the sergeant i have to see will not be back in until monday and i want a rough ideal where i stand

i have had the same convicition and when i was applyin i told the guard bout it and he said "traffic offence couldnt care less doesnt matter" mind you that was under the old system but i cant see you havin a major problem just say sorry for your mistake and hope he is ok bout it.

tommy:p

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have had the same convicition and when i was applyin i told the guard bout it and he said "traffic offence couldnt care less doesnt matter" mind you that was under the old system but i cant see you havin a major problem just say sorry for your mistake and hope he is ok bout it.

tommy:p

i hope i dont have a problem getting the licence over this i did not want to defraud my application but i will be putting my hands up because it was a genuine mistake as i had forgot about the convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

i hope i dont have a problem getting the licence over this i did not want to defraud my application but i will be putting my hands up because it was a genuine mistake as i had forgot about the convictions

They obviously haven't. : (

I hope they are kind to you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's down to the local Superintendent basicly, and the odds are that the nature of the offence would be a major factor. Repeated DUIs or reckless driving would be a long way from a speeding ticket, for example. Driving without insurance though, has always been said to be thought of as more serious by anyone I've ever spoken to about this sort of thing. It might be an idea to bring all your shooting insurance documents with you on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sparks wrote: »
    It's down to the local Superintendent basicly, and the odds are that the nature of the offence would be a major factor. Repeated DUIs or reckless driving would be a long way from a speeding ticket, for example. Driving without insurance though, has always been said to be thought of as more serious by anyone I've ever spoken to about this sort of thing. It might be an idea to bring all your shooting insurance documents with you on the day.

I agree with Sparks comments and particularly the scale of things. Ordinary driving offenses are not in the frame, but driving without insurance is criminal and I would have no sympathy for anyone refused a gun license as a result. If you cannot afford insurance, you have no right to go looking for a gun.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, if that's what happened. If it was a paperwork violation (and I've been caught that way myself once thanks to the dealership stuffing the paperwork up and the tax office sending the notice to the wrong address), that's not quite the same as just not bothering to get insured in the first place.

I agree with Sparks comments and particularly the scale of things. Ordinary driving offenses are not in the frame, but driving without insurance is criminal and I would have no sympathy for anyone refused a gun license as a result. If you cannot afford insurance, you have no right to go looking for a gun.
    P.

fair enough i agree with you but the said offence happened over 10 years ago and if you knew me you would know i am not a am a scum bag and if the cops had such a problem with the no insurance offence why did they give me a gun licence well over a year ago and it only come up now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

fair enough i agree with you but the said offence happened over 10 years ago and if you knew me you would know i am not a am a scum bag and if the cops had such a problem with the no insurance offence why did they give me a gun licence well over a year ago and it only come up now

Should not effect you, though they will look for any excuse to refuse a licence. but you might be questioned about why you did not state it. Over ten years ago I say you will be OK Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

He probably just wants to see why you never mentioned them, Explain your case and be honest and apologies you where issued a licence before therefore there should be no problem again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

just be honest with him. It def won't be a problem. its only if you hold convictions for violent or serious crimes.

Just go in with a good attitude and explain you forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As you know these things are very individual, however, what I would say is that my work brings me into contact with people who have criminal histories, some very serious and still active. However, I do also come across people who where involved in various levels of criminality who have left that way of life behind them.

Some of them people hold legal firearms today, the PTB know their history said ranging from joy riding, possession of drugs, various non-violent thefts. However, it is recognised that these people have moved on from that life and are now productive members of society, whatever that is!!

Any way my main point is that those convictions don't dis-entitle you to hold a license. I'm guessing here but it looks to me that you have a difficult garda here, and he just wants to make some form of point. However, as you know he is well within his rights to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You've basically been dishonest in your first application and me thinks the local Sergeant wants to gage you a bit more in depth.

when i do go into him on monday i will be very honest with him and explain it to him that i forgot about the conviction but can he refuse me or revoke my current licence because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

when i do go into him on monday i will be very honest with him and explain it to him that i forgot about the conviction but can he refuse me or revoke my current licence because of this

I reckon you'll be grand...he just wants to meet you face to face and see what kind of a bloke you are. The super would really want to be a bad f****r to refuse \ revoke on a traffic offence. I think you'll be AOK though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Smokin -
    Had a bad day yesterday so I was a bit snappish. If it happened ten years ago and your nose is now clean, there should be no problem. He probably wants to have a gawk and then can say that he did so if he is queried later. Box ticking. He has got to be seen to be doing his job.
    If you are a car-owner, "just happen to have in your pocket" a copy of your current insurance cert and produce it if asked.
    Good luck with the application.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

go in and and hold your hand up and say ya made a mistake
    ya should be ok ,

just an update went into the sergeant and wrote a letter explaining that the convictions happened so long ago and that i forgot about them and that i was not trying to falsefy information on my application form and i apologized for it

he said it was not him that was pushing it and that it was the super that was kicking up and he said that the super have revoked 3 lads licences over making mistakes on there form

but the good news is he said seen as the convictions happened so long ago and they were not for violent or drugs and that in my case the convictions were on the minor side and that i was in straight away and wrote a letter explaining this he said he cant see why there would be a problem and explained that i will get a letter in the post and how to pay for the licence when i get the letter(the Sergeant was a shooting man himself so i think that helped)

here is the letter i wrote

Dear Sergeant/Superintendent.
    I am writing to you in relation to the application for the firearm licence for my Marlin .17 rifle serial no ********.

In relation to your letter that i received on the 19/06/2010 about not declaring the court convictions that i had on section 2.4 of the firearm application form, The reason i did not declare the convictions when i was filling in the application form was that i genuinely forgot that i had court convictions for road traffic offences until i received the letter from you stating so because the offences happened a good few years ago and it slipped my mind completely and i cannot apologize enough for this mistake as it probably seems that i was trying to falsify information on my application form and i want to fully assure you this was not the case.

I have rang and dropped into the station a few times to see if i could catch you for few minutes to speak to you face to face about the situation but with no success that is the reason for this letter as i would like to clear this up as it is a serious matter that needs dealing with and i don’t want it to affect my chances of being granted or revoking my firearm licence as i find it a privilege to hold such a licence.
    If you need to meet with me and discuss the matter further please don’t hesitate to call my phone number is 085-********.

Yours Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

keep us posted, and best of luck

just a update i have been granted the licence got the firearm cert notice letter in the post today happy days :):)

just another question i applied for the silencer along with my application and it says nothing on the letter about being granted permission for the silencer how will i know if i was granted permission for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭diveshark

just a update i have been granted the licence got the firearm cert notice letter in the post today happy days :):)

just another question i applied for the silencer along with my application and it says nothing on the letter about being granted permission for the silencer how will i know if i was granted permission for it

congrats, you can stop sweating now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

there should be a 's' in the corner of the licence, if not ring the station and ask

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Congrats.
    ...........how will i know if i was granted permission for it

As Jap gt said you will get an "S" on the bottom left corner of your license. Until you recieve the license you will not know.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thanks everyone hope i get the special s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If you're desperately keen to know asap, your new Certificate Number is printed on the Grant Notice Letter.
    Any tame Garda can check on Pulse to see if there's a Silencer (S) associated with that particular Firearm Certificate.

Even if there's no 'S' on it when you get the actual Certificate, it'd still be worth having it checked on Pulse; by all accounts, there have been a fair few instances of the Silencer being granted but not noted on the Certificate when it was printed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Rovi wrote: »
    If you're desperately keen to know asap, your new Certificate Number is printed on the Grant Notice Letter.
    Any tame Garda can check on Pulse to see if there's a Silencer (S) associated with that particular Firearm Certificate.

Even if there's no 'S' on it when you get the actual Certificate, it'd still be worth having it checked on Pulse; by all accounts, there have been a fair few instances of the Silencer being granted but not noted on the Certificate when it was printed.

Deffo, JG had same deal, so had I recently.
    My FO sent me out a new one with the Magic "S" on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Happy days....congrats ;)

Advertisement