Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Club Dublin Northside

Options
  • 18-06-2010 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

I am looking for a welcoming running club on the Northside of Dublin. I can currently run 5 km in 25 minutes but also a distance of 12 km at a much slow pace.

I would like to know if there is a club that is suitable to my abilities. I don't see the point of joining a running club just to run on my own if all the other runners are much faster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Raheny Shamrocks are club with a wide range of runners who would be more than welcoming IMO.
    Other than that i have seen a Meet and Train group in the Phibsborough area floating about here a few days ago which may be an option.
    My advice would be to have a look at a few race results in order to see which clubs in the area have a wide range of abilities spread out through the results list. This is always a good indication of how welcoming a club can be. If all runners are at the upper end of the race sheet more than likely they may not be that welcoming of wide range of abilities however this is not always the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Clonlife harriers in morton stadium in santry.
    I sent Raheny shamrocks 2 e-mails and got no reply:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Oisin11178 wrote: »

Seems to be a frequent complaint of alot of people regarding alot of clubs. I think there is a lack of IT structures set up in alot of clubs i am afraid. Local papers sometimes have phone numbers and training times
    (i know this is the case in my area)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

Oisin11178 wrote: »

that email excuse is lame, if you want to join a club turn up, like anything its not nice being the new guy, here is loads of info from raheny site, phone numbers and everything, same with most other clubs.

ADULT TRAINING
    Marathon/Road Runners & Beginners

Cross country/Long Distance Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 6.30pm at the Clubhouse

Sunday 8.00am at the Clubhouse (Marathon Group) 10.30am St Anne's (Manor House entrance) cross country/track runners
    For More Information contact:Sean McGoldrick 087 2248274
    Meet and Train Group
    Wednesday, 7.30 at the Clubhouse
    For More Information Contact Grainne Murphy 087 6681467

Juvenile Training
    Athletes 6 – 13 years Wednesday 6.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m
    Manor House School Hall For More Information contact: Colette Quinn 087 6435822
    Intermediate Group
    13-16 Years

Wednesday - 6.45pm – 8.00pm Santry
    Sunday 11am-12.30pm St Anne's Park

For More Information contact:Paul McKenny 086 2807613 Throwers Group
    Wednesday 6.45 p.m.- 8.00 p.m. Santry Saturday 10.00 a.m. – 11.30 a.m. Santry
    For more information about field events, sprints and hurdles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

that email excuse is lame, if you want to join a club turn up, like anything its not nice being the new guy, here is loads of info from raheny site, phone numbers and everything, same with most other clubs.

Bo hoo, they didnt email you back,grow up

That wouldn't be a very friendly environment if you were trying to get people join a club. When you are looking to do something like join a club for the first time it can be very intimidating and if clubs want members they should make it easy for people to join.

Having said that emails are manned by volunteers who may not be checking everyday and yes a telephone is probably the best means. Maybe the OP should ring them.

PS: An aside but I tried to join Raheny a few years ago and emailed them. They took ages to get back and not before I eventually joined the club they consider their fierce rival. They missed out on a national senior track medalist and contributor of 60-70 league points a season;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

Tingle wrote: »
    That wouldn't be a very friendly environment if you were trying to get people join a club. When you are looking to do something like join a club for the first time it can be very intimidating and if clubs want members they should make it easy for people to join.

Having said that emails are manned by volunteers who may not be checking everyday and yes a telephone is probably the best means. Maybe the OP should ring them.

PS: An aside but I tried to join Raheny a few years ago and emailed them. They took ages to get back and not before I eventually joined the club they consider their fierce rival. They missed out on a national senior track medalist and contributor of 60-70 league points a season;)

fair enough i guess, i am glad a non email response didnt stop you achieving what you have. Perhaps the OP might consider contacting them on their phone numbers or Clonliffe or Crusaders, try them all, whatever you do dont let a non repsonse on an email hold you back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ADULT TRAINING
    Marathon/Road Runners & Beginners

Cross country/Long Distance Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 6.30pm at the Clubhouse

Sunday 8.00am at the Clubhouse (Marathon Group) 10.30am St Anne's (Manor House entrance) cross country/track runners
    For More Information contact:Sean McGoldrick 087 2248274
    Meet and Train Group
    Wednesday, 7.30 at the Clubhouse
    For More Information Contact Grainne Murphy 087 6681467

Juvenile Training
    Athletes 6 13 years Wednesday 6.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m
    Manor House School Hall For More Information contact: Colette Quinn 087 6435822
    Intermediate Group
    13-16 Years

Wednesday - 6.45pm 8.00pm Santry
    Sunday 11am-12.30pm St Anne's Park

For More Information contact:Paul McKenny 086 2807613 Throwers Group
    Wednesday 6.45 p.m.- 8.00 p.m. Santry Saturday 10.00 a.m. 11.30 a.m. Santry
    For more information about field events, sprints and hurdles

Ok girlfriend:-)
    Just think the op should have the full picture. Not saying Raheny isnt a good club they obviously are but answering e-mails is a pretty basic thing to do.
    On the other hand i e-mailed Clonlife and i got a very detailed e-mail back with the info i was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm interested to find out about clubs on de Northside as well.

What about ALSAA? I was there a few days ago, and I saw a lot of people training at the track. There appears to be a club, but I can't find any contact info on the ALSAA website though.

Also, there's Fingalians in Swords. Again I can't find anything about them anywhere. I think people naturally point out Raheny and Clonliffe (as particularly well organised and competitive). But, there must surely be other clubs as well. I do find it a bit off-putting though, that there seems to be no info on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

MSB train once a week on alsaa track, cant remember what night. if you google fingallians you should get a contact name and number i know i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tingle wrote: »

Whats your email addy ;) Boards Ac would reply to you..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

plodder wrote: »
    . Again I can't find anything about them anywhere. I think people naturally point out Raheny and Clonliffe (as particularly well organised and competitive).

They are the best options for all levels. Fingallians are great at underage and are producing some diamond sprinters but for older, road running people I'd say the Big Two are the best on the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

could always start a new northside club up-Northside runners perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

could always start a new northside club up-Northside runners perhaps?

I've been toying with the idea of joining a club too (also Dublin northside).. and that thought has crossed my mind from time to time.

Although I have very little running knowledge or experience. I'm only a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I've been toying with the idea of joining a club too (also Dublin northside).. and that thought has crossed my mind from time to time.

Although I have very little running knowledge or experience. I'm only a novice.

Feel free to drop me a PM - I'm a member of the Shamrocks. Super sound bunch of people, come down to one of the Lord Mayor Series races or any evening @ 1830 (not Weds as that's track night in Santry).

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaulBD9

hi everyone,

I sent the original message didnt think there would be so many other responses to my first board message. Thanks.

Still havent got round to joining a running club, got study and new job coming up so joining a running club is put on the long finger at the moment. Very long finger thinking december/january when finished my studying and settled into my job.

One thing I noticed is that all the running clubs seem to run in the evenings which is when I have normally ran. however have recently attempted to do some morning runners the hardest thing is getting up really, are there any clubs that do morning training.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

I have to say Raheny Shamrocks are very welcoming. Im quite a slow runner and have always been welcomed at their events and even had them cheer me on at other events.

Advertisement