Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are URL's that important?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the importance of clean and short urls. For example, would Google rank one of the following higher based on the url:

1. domain.ie/domain-names

2. domain.ie/example/example/domain-names

I hope you's get what I mean. These are just examples.

What do you's think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Deeper site structures are probably not as good in terms of being spidered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

URLs with keywords can make a difference, albeit slight. Of course, be careful not to over do it.

The example you give is something that I always see misinterpreted by people starting out in SEO and they take it as fact.

People assume that because you have a deep linking structure with links deep down in your website. So it's hard to answer the question with out clearing a few things up.

I'm assuming, that if you think of Google's crawling method as a hirearchy model, you mean that the links to inner pages, linked from your most popular page (generally the homepage)?

If so, let's for example say your homepage has a PR of 5, and the next level of pages (in Google's eyes) linked from the homepage are likely to have a PR of 4. It doesn't work like this on all sites, so you should only use this as a general rule of thumb when creating your site structure.

In this case, it won't matter then how long the URL is (within reason of course) and you are not spamming the hell out of it.

The problems arise, mainly as Blacknight says, when it's a deep linking structure. So if the links to these long URLs can only be found by going deeper and deeper into the websites links, Google won't index these pages as often, because it feels they are not as important.

I've tried to give a very brief synopsis there, I hope it makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 francophile

Domain names with keywords are good for rankings - keep them as short as possible without hyphens
    .ie , .com , .net or .org

Keywords in the path name is good too - but again try to keep it short.

Develop themes on your site with relevent keywords.

Advertisement