Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit or Fat? Decision Time!

• 18-06-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

I got on the scales about a month ago and I'd hit 16 stone, something I thought I'd never see! I'm 6'6" so I don't look too overweight but I used to be 13 stone for years.

Training wise/Goals I was planning on doing the WW200 but my company f'd that up on me, supposed to go to China for 3 months then cancelled the week I was due to leave!
    I was going to do the ROK again this year but I'll think I'll pass and concentrate on the Etape Hibernia (seeing as there may be a chance I'm no.1...I was the first to enter :eek: ).

So here's a few pics of my stats from my last 2 spins and last 2 runs.....NOTE: I used to run cross country for years, was good, but am now not :(

PS I won't be putting pics in regularly, just put them in now to get some opinions.

Firstly I have been getting worried about my HR, it is way too high for my liking, you'll see in the stats below. Is it down to fitness (pushing too hard) or is it abnormal (not asking for a medical opinion obviously)?
    I feel if I went any slower I may as well just be out for a spin down the shops if you know what I mean.

31 May - Cycle
    36km in 1hr 27m
    Home(Beaumont)-Clontarf-Sutton-Portmarnock-Malahide-Swords-Home
    Never felt too stressed during the spin, very flat route.
    100531.jpg

10 Jun - Cycle
    37km in 1hr 33m
    Home-Clontarf-Sutton-Howth Head-Sutton-Clontarf-Fairview-Home
    Not too hard today, went up the cemetry side of the head, didn't need the easiest gear. Head wind going out to howth.
    100610.jpg

14 Jun - Run
    4km - 20min
    Clontarf seafront
    Sweated buckets, legs weren't tired, but knew HR was high.
    Legs in ribbons for 2 days after, chest tight.
    100614.jpg

17 Jun - Run
    4km - 20min
    Clontarf seafront
    Sweated buckets again, legs loosened up quickly, again felt HR high but never tired during run.
    Muscles not sore today :) But do feel tight across the chest again.
    100617.jpg

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As someone who started out 3 years ago nearly 4 stone heavier than you, and 4 inches shorter, I would say go for it lafors. I'm still 4 inches shorter, but now nearly 2 stone lighter than you, and fitter than I have ever been in my (longish!) life to date

Don't worry too much about the heart rate - everyone is different, and the fact you may appear to have a relatively high rate on occasions is not necessarily a bad thing - it's when it drops to zero that you have a problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Booked in for a bike fit....eventually :) ....with bikefittingireland this saturday, can't wait. Once its set up right I'll either be happy with my saddle or start looking into changing it, its a pain in the arse, literally ;)
    Will post up how it went on the main cycling forum. I know a few went to irish bike fit so we'll see how they compare.

Spin wise:
    Been getting chest pains while at rest, so stopped pretending it wasn't happening and went to the doc, being sent for a full round of tests, echo/stress test/holter/bloods etc. Echo today. Decided to go get it checked out as my dad has had multiple heart attacks/stents put in! Better safe than sorry! :)

Just told me to take it easy, i.e. no pushing too hard on the bike, until we get all the results, should be all done in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't mind but I'd taken this week off work with the intention of getting out every day :o oh well xbox here I come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ditch the xbox and just go for a long slow steady walk (as not intense). Best of luck with the tests, i had the same done in feb after my heart raced and fluttered when out running. showed up nothing so seems it might have been dehydration. scary tho. hope you re back cycling soon

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Ditch the xbox and just go for a long slow steady walk (as not intense). Best of luck with the tests, i had the same done in feb after my heart raced and fluttered when out running. showed up nothing so seems it might have been dehydration. scary tho. hope you re back cycling soon

Did that alright, been out walking a lot.

Got my bike fitted (eventually) on Saturday, see here for how it went
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66621863&postcount=20

Can't wait to get out again to see how much it makes a difference, I felt it made a big difference on the turbo when the changes were made.

Also I've decided to go out and join Swords cycling club. Will find out how my shifts fall for the next 6 months this week so I'll know which groups I can go out with.

Good news got the all clear from the doc yesterday.
    All tests came back good. No explanation for the pain or high HR. Haven't been as tired lately still getting pain but not as bad as before.
    Anyway full steam ahead to get fit for the skyride.

Went straight out after the doc for my first spin in 3 weeks. Just a very short one, 24km in 54min (avg 26km/h & 171bpm). Head wind on the way out as usual. Happy as my hr never went above 190.

No bike today or tommorow I'm away, so out everyday until Sunday then taking the bike to Donegal for the holidays :)

• Advertisement

Well just back from the holiers in Donegal.
    Got out nearly every day built it up slowly and been changing my bike setup bit by bit to get to the setup bikefittingireland did for me.

Only did 24km on the day we arrived (from murvagh to ballyshannon & back), had a 4hr drive to there so was fairly tired.
    Second day out before the wee lad woke up so another short one donegal to ballyshannon & back...think it was about 38km but my garmin edge 705 decided to lose all its data the day we left to come home, common problem I'm told.
    next day off, was busy visting people.
    Did donegal - ballyshannon x2 for the next few days each day.
    Drove back to the in-laws in dundalk on sunday and I cycled back to dublin solo yesterday. Route was Knockbridge-Ardee-Collon-Slane-Ashbourne-Airport-Beaumont.
    78.35km in 3:01 was happy enough as I was never tired at any stage. My avg HR was 170bpm but thats back to what it was previously.

Feeling good again, not tired, no pains. Must have been a virus/bug.
    Roll on the Etape Hibernia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hawksuil

Hey im new to this so apologies if its not right!! Im looking for some help with choosing a gps for cycling... im looking at the garmin 705 edge.. about €370 new??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

good stuff, keep it going. glad the tests came back clear. make sure to keep well hydrated or this will put strain on your heart

Just an update...

My garmin seems to be behaving itself lately which is good.
    Have my bike setup to the sizing from my fit, definite improvement in comfort for me. Changed my stem to a 130mm (from 120mm) recommended by fitter. Changed my pedals to SPD SL from SPDs.
    New saddle to put a fizik arione on it.
    Gears are slipping a little bit, can't get into my 25 on the cassette need to adjust.

Hurt my back in work a few weeks ago so been to the physio, ergo assessments and fillng out forms to beat the band! Cycling is the one thing which seems to be OK, no pain at all from it :) So physio says keep at it.
    Down to just over 15 stone, must keep it up :) Physio also wants me to start pilates when I'm finished with her.

Getting close to the Etape Hibernia so building up training for it.
    I've done a good few shorter runs of late just to keep myself on the bike during the week, with a few sneaky test runs up howth for the boards tt next week...best time so far is 9:49, no good for most but good for me. Recorded a speed of 149.4km/h down the village side of howth head...jesus I'm fast ;)
    Will try and do the orwell randonee this sunday if I can shake this cold, feel like sh*te at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Been looking into doin a bit of pilates myself this season....a season of exclusively cycling has left me with the core strength of an 80yr old. Everything Ive read points to it being the way to go......tried a few 'moves' last night and found them surprisingly hard

• Advertisement
Advertisement