Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very classy dublin bar

Options
  • 18-06-2010 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi folks, looking for a suggestion for the classiest bar in dublin for romantic drinks with a special lady. looking for somehere quality, something like shelbourne bar any other options? dont mind paying, it a special occasion. many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

The Clarence Hotel is pretty swish.

Also has very good cocktails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Not sure if you could call it classy, but a fantastic bar is the Library bar in the Central Hotel. It is upstairs and is a lovely bar. Possibly more suited to a day time drinks though.

http://jenhyattinireland.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/day-tree-068.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://www.themorgan.com/The_Funky_Morgan_Cocktail_Bar/Default.85.html

I spent a total of five minutes in this place when I had to meet up with someone and wanted to get the f*ck out immediately. Not to my tastes, but have to admit it does have a certain atmosphere that you seem to be looking for.

(To explain myself further, I am of the "dirty metaller" persuasion. If you know what this place is like you'd understand. Was like cryptonite to me.....swear!).

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

The Four Seasons is very nice as it the Bar in the Dylan Hotel. I love the cocktails in the Morrison and go there as much as I can, it's usally nice and quite and feels really intimate. (although nothing in the world can top the raspberry mojito's in the Shelbourne)

Another hotel bar (not been myself but have heard good things from others) is the Marble Bar in the Westbury.

Oh how I wish I was being brought out to one of them!! Where ever you pick enjoy!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Cellar bar in the Merrion hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

chin_grin wrote: »

I spent a total of five minutes in this place when I had to meet up with someone and wanted to get the f*ck out immediately. Not to my tastes, but have to admit it does have a certain atmosphere that you seem to be looking for.

No - The Morgan is not classy. The Morgan is a place that is alright but it's full of lots of people who think they're trendy and try way too hard.

Also they don't have chip-and-pin for credit cards? What's the story there?
    reprazant wrote: »
    Not sure if you could call it classy, but a fantastic bar is the Library bar in the Central Hotel. It is upstairs and is a lovely bar. Possibly more suited to a day time drinks though.

The Library Bar is a great place but I'm not sure if it's what the OP is looking for. I wouldn't call it classy as such.

The bar in the Westbury was good when I was there last - but that was in about 1999 so it might have changed.

I would say stick with the Shelbourne though, the barstaff in there are top notch and they mix a great drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

chin_grin wrote: »

(To explain myself further, I am of the "dirty metaller" persuasion. If you know what this place is like you'd understand. Was like cryptonite to me.....swear!).

It's a bit mutton drssed up as lamb alright. Try The Bank on Dame Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No - The Morgan is not classy. The Morgan is a place that is alright but it's full of lots of people who think they're trendy and try way too hard.

Also they don't have chip-and-pin for credit cards? What's the story there?

The Library Bar is a great place but I'm not sure if it's what the OP is looking for. I wouldn't call it classy as such.

The bar in the Westbury was good when I was there last - but that was in about 1999 so it might have changed.

I would say stick with the Shelbourne though, the barstaff in there are top notch and they mix a great drink.
    fontanalis wrote: »
    It's a bit mutton drssed up as lamb alright. Try The Bank on Dame Street.

Ah, ok. Just want to thank you both for making me feel "normal". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Player's Lounge in fairview....they have a lovely quaint trad combo by the name of The Irish Bigade playing their tomorrow....singing nice peaceful traditional tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

fryup wrote: »
    The Player's Lounge in fairview....they have a lovely quaint trad combo by the name of The Irish Bigade playing their tomorrow....singing nice peaceful traditional tunes.

My sarcasm detector may be slightly on the blink here but The Player's Lounge is about as close to the opposite of classy as you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Try The Westin, has that uppy feeling to the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

OP, i was at Number Five yesterday... It's elegant, it's a paino bar... with some live music after 11, it's small, tucked in, nice and friendly staff...

I was there last night with friends and we loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Doesn't look classy in the slighest, looks like your typical modern local and I've heard many a story of that place being linked to paramilitaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Great folks in here, and a nice place - but it's a Dublin pub at the end of the day. Hardly the Ritz. 32 plasma screens if that's what your lady friend is into OP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

irishtime wrote: »
    hi folks, looking for a suggestion for the classiest bar in dublin for romantic drinks with a special lady. looking for somehere quality, something like shelbourne bar any other options? dont mind paying, it a special occasion. many thanks

You might consider the Cellar Bar in the Merrion. Very discreet and upmarket. Built in the original wine vaults, so lots of nooks and crannies suitable for private conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

gurramok wrote: »
    Try The Westin, has that uppy feeling to the place :)
    +1

was a favourite "classy date who I want to impress" location for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The bar with no name, just down from Hogans, is quite a classy establishment as long as you got here on a weeknight or Sunday. Saturdays and Friday is just way to packed in there.

Advertisement