Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc in Software engineering in AIT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

Anyone know anything about this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Hi,

I did that course full time in 2003. Depending upon your background and the contents of your degree you may have completed some of the subjects (or near enough) before.

Are you planning on doing it full time or part time?
    I did it full time and it was a hard slog. At that time it was primarily run as a part time course, and as such the lectures were on from 6-10pm two nights per week with labs running during the day.. and a project to be completed by the end of the summer.

If you do it full time you dont have a choice, as the optional courses rotate year on year off, whereas if you do it part time you can select courses which interest you. (although this might have changed)

Depending upon your primary degree you may be familiar with certain aspects of the course.

I would recommend the course - the only drawback is that it does not have a work placement, whereas other masters courses do..

Thanks for the reply. I did a Bsc in Computer Systems in UL. I finished it about 10 years ago. I am at a stage now where I do not know whether to get certifications or get a masters. I feel I am getting out of date and not keeping up with the new technologies....

So I am not too sure what to do at this point

Thanks.

Have you any recent experience in the IT industry?

I have worked the last 10 years in development / support in the following areas: vb / oracle / sql server / unix / windows

• Advertisement

Most employers rank experience more than education.. so I am not 100% sure why you would go back and do a MSc - especially a broad one like the Athlone one. Have you looked at more specialized M.Sc's?

Or maybe you'd be better off going down the certification route.. it all depends on what you want to get out of it to be honest.

Advertisement