Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

treating applewood

Options
  • 18-06-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I have some stripped apple trees - all bark removed and currently airdrying. I want to preserve these for outdoor use - any tips on how to remove mildew/insects and how long should i dry them for?

I intend to varnish them and leave as a sculptural feature in garden, so am interested in ways of preserving them in their natural state. Whats the:P best product for sealing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Trees,

Paraffin wax, melted ... be careful as it is quite flammable. When liquified brush it on the cut ends like one would paint.
    PVA glue, thin roofing tar
    Commercial products like 'End Seal' ? are paraffin based.

Apply immediately after cutting.

Apple is a very nice wood to work. I am envious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 treesuschrist

Hi Double Barrel

Cheers - will try this. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Trees,

Store your ash wood off the ground and stickered in a well ventilated dry environment. Drying time depends on the size of the pieces and the time of year the tree was harvested etc.
    Make your own hydrogen peroxide with Sodium percarbonate . It is an environmentally safe chlorine free bleaching agent. When mixed with water, this powdered chemical forms hydrogen peroxide (an oxygen-based bleach) and sodium carbonate, which acts as a detergent. It is good for removing dirt, mildew and weathering. Follow directions.

Good Luck.

Advertisement